Baris Appreciation Thread

Neb5555

@Angel-125 All I can say is, yeah, try to ignore posts on your threads from "those people", and let your loyal followers run interference for you...
Unfortunately, I dont do that anymore, since I seem to be a bovine waste contributor and troublemaker on the forums, I no longer actively participate in most forum discussions...As a matter of fact, I've been posting too much already the past couple days... :P

But I had to comment here, cuz yer too awesome to lose in the community... NOT ust because of the content you provide to players, but for the invaluable help and examples you provide for wanna-be modders... Along with certain other devs ... You're all in a League of Extraordinary Modders...

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the sentiments. :) I'll consider re-opening the thread, but when I get comments like [snip] it shows me that players aren't reading the manual despite having an extensive KSPedia and Wiki and in-game hints to read them. I knew from the start that BARIS' default settings wouldn't appeal to everyone- that's why it's the most configurable mod that I've ever made. My expectation was that players would give BARIS a try, learn how to change the settings, and then adjust things to their liking. If that didn't work, they could simply uninstall BARIS and move on. Unfortunately, not everyone shared that expectation, and complained when things didn't work the way they wanted to. I listed as much as I could, and changed a mod that was most definitely not beta, but I don't have time for people who aren't willing to RTFM- I've got other projects to work on besides BARIS.

Thanks again for your support. :)

@Angel-125

it seems that a majority of the complaints are from a single user.  You could always just block that user, then you would never be bothered by him again.

I'm sorry BARIS was ended, I was looking forward to using it after it had matured.

Edited by Vanamonde

4 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@Angel-125 All I can say is, yeah, try to ignore posts on your threads from "those people", and let your loyal followers run interference for you...
Unfortunately, I dont do that anymore, since I seem to be a bovine waste contributor and troublemaker on the forums, I no longer actively participate in most forum discussions...As a matter of fact, I've been posting too much already the past couple days... :P

But I had to comment here, cuz yer too awesome to lose in the community... NOT ust because of the content you provide to players, but for the invaluable help and examples you provide for wanna-be modders... Along with all the other devs on a certain Discord channel... You're all in a League of Extraordinary Modders...

Uh, not sure if there's miscommunication going on, but just in case, I'm not done modding KSP, I'm just done with BARIS. In fact, I just finished remodeling my DSEV 2.5m tanks...

Edited by Angel-125

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Uh, not sure if there's miscommunication going on, but just in case, I'm not done modding KSP, I'm just done with BARIS. In fact, I just finished remodeling my DSEV 2.5m tanks...

No, i see the comment posted about you rage-quitting KSP was exaggerated... But others have quit everything based on less grief over their mod...
Just wanted to state how you go over and above ust providing content, and it would be a sad day for KSP if you did quit

2 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

@Angel-125 @NISSKEPCSIM There will always be people, who mismanage to find or read the fine manual pages. Most of them don't actually mean it and  a hint about manual/faq existence will suffice.
The mod maker is not obligated to answer all or any inquiries, regular users can contribute with help and guidance - if they want.
Plus we are always here to help you, don't hesitate to ping us if you feel that matters are getting out of control  :)  

Absolutely. I had a situation in the SXT thread, where people were demanding that I include something.  I hollered for help and the moderators took care of the problem

Personally I love @Angel-125's mods... and he knows it... :D 

And I couldn't agree with this statement more:

7 hours ago, Kerbal101 said:

- demanding something from modders is absolutely not okay.

This would be like someone telling me how to write Emiko Station, and if anyone thinks for one second that's going to happen, they're nuttier than my story!

For the record, I've downloaded BARIS, and right now I'm just taking my time and learning how to configure everything exactly the way I want it before I hit the "On switch", so to speak. Then I look forward to the occasional breakdown... unexpected problems are always welcome in Emiko Station.  :wink:

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Anyways I think it's plain that everyone involved feels very poorly that it turned out this way, never intended this, and if anything were maybe just a little too excited about being part of Angel's mod.

While this is true I think locking access to the mod is the right decision. Now everyone here has an example of what can happen if people don't think twice before getting into argument with mod authors about their work.

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

@Angel-125 would you be ok if someone like @Just Jim shared the mod with others? (I.e. Through PM, he gives them a dropbox link or something?) 

I think that many people would like to try it out still, who didnt get the chance earlier for whatever reason. 

The GitHub repo is still active, I just removed all the links to it in the thread. But if people download it and complain, I don't want to hear about it.

16 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The GitHub repo is still active, I just removed all the links to it in the thread. But if people download it and complain, I don't want to hear about it.

How would you feel about somebody else continuing development, or using some of your code in a similar mod (with credit, obviously)? I know the license of the source code allows it, but it seems like common courtesy to get your approval for such a project anyway.

Edited by Hotaru

8 minutes ago, Hotaru said:

How would you feel about somebody else continuing development, or using some of your code in a similar mod (with credit, obviously)? I know the license allows it, but it seems like common courtesy to get your approval for such a project anyway.

I'm still doing active development on it, but I'm just not making it visible on the forums, because I'm tired of the complaints. It's a mod that you have to work for to gain the benefits, and there's too many who aren't willing to do that and then come to the forums to complain. Given all the work I put into it, I wouldn't be at all thrilled to see someone take over.

13 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

@Hotaru if you would like some help implementing features for yourself, try making a fork of the github repo and editing and compiling the code for yourself!

Thanks for the advice, but at this point I don't feel comfortable continuing to use BARIS, let alone recompile it, even privately. 

4 hours ago, Hotaru said:

Thanks for the advice, but at this point I don't feel comfortable continuing to use BARIS, let alone recompile it, even privately. 

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable using it?  It is still active, just not as publicly.  If you like the mod just bookmark the Github repo.  I'm sure @Angel-125 would still appreciate real github issues for found bugs.

Also, just curious.  I understand why the thread was locked, but why is it pinned?  Seems counterintuitive to have it pinned to the top.

12 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Why wouldn't you feel comfortable using it?  It is still active, just not as publicly.  If you like the mod just bookmark the Github repo.  I'm sure @Angel-125 would still appreciate real github issues for found bugs.

Just don't. I'd prefer to leave it at that. It's not a subject I feel would be appropriate to discuss in public anyway.

12 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Also, just curious.  I understand why the thread was locked, but why is it pinned?  Seems counterintuitive to have it pinned to the top.

It's pinned because it was made a thread of the month.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

1 hour ago, Hotaru said:

It's pinned because it was made a thread of the month.

And it's unlocked now, also! :)

BARIS is awesome!! granted I have it turned off atm because #effort but damn I love angels mods (it came packaged with MOLE, pretty sure it didn't come with the airships or the awesome rovers)

If people can't read then... I can't tell them what to do because pg issues lol

I guess using Byson, Buffalo, MOLE and the airships as an example of flexibility isn't gonna fly as this is a BARIS appreciation mod?

Also lots of streamers stream lots of things and will happily show people how things work....  

I may have to turn BARIS on if the thread goes live again, oh dear, my saves about to get hard lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.