[RELEASED] After Kerbin [AfK] - Billions of Years after Stock

Gameslinx

DOWNLOAD THE MOD HERE:

g4C65f6.png

Welcome to the development thread for [After Kerbin].

This planet mod is set many billions of years after stock KSP. Kerbol (now called Archangel) is midway through its fast journey to becoming a red giant. It has just consumed Moho. Eve is burning, and Kerbin is deserted. You begin your journey on Duna, around a warmer Sun.

Begin on a tidally locked, colonised Duna, far into the future. This planet, known as Solitude, is the Kerbals' last hope.

This is Kerbin. Four billion years has purged its surface of the space-faring civilisation.

FAQ:

Will this planet mod add any new stars?

• No. This is the Kerbol system billions of years in the future. Adding a new star means you will need modded parts to get there, which I generally disagree with. It also means separating planets and sentencing them to "will not be visited". I want to make sure all planets are easily reachable but also require a challenge once there.

Is this planet mod compatible with present day mods like OPM?

• Yep! Even the visual mods will work together (they didn't with my previous planet mod), meaning you can install nearly any planet mod except those that also replace the home planet.

How much RAM do I need for this mod?

• 5GB at maximum texture quality. The reason why the RAM requirement is no lower is because the planets use highly detailed, 4k textures for the best experience.

Still waiting on a release? Click the follow button in the top right of this page, or join the planet mod discord!

9T3uf2Z.png

Edited by Gameslinx

Wow! Looks great! Can't wait!

Now... what do we have after after kerbin? (Jk)

10 minutes ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

Do us beta testers get access to the mod soon? :D 

I'm assuming soon after more planets get thrown in. Bugs are sweeped up, and such.

Edit: I'm assuming radiators will be required. 

Edited by Cabbink

9 hours ago, The Cuttlefish Empire said:

Screenshot_171.png

Apollo looks pretty cool when it's in front of the sun :) 

Edit: im a moron and posted this in the wrong thread, how do i delet halp plz

Oooh idea

@Gameslinx make eve have rings from gilly falling in the roche limit.

Edited by Cabbink

On 9/5/2017 at 0:02 PM, Gameslinx said:

Update: Cannot start on Laythe. Kopernicus is too buggy and I'm not re-parenting the home planet if there are problems. 

Try Duna, perhaps. The Kerbals would've terraformed it by then. Or maybe Eeloo if the expansion of the sun is that far done. Eeloo would be melted and warm by this point.

5 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Try Duna, perhaps. The Kerbals would've terraformed it by then. Or maybe Eeloo if the expansion of the sun is that far done. Eeloo would be melted and warm by this point.

It's duna :)

What do you say to it being tidally locked? Half is desert and grass, the other is icy. Or normal rotation?

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

It's duna :)

What do you say to it being tidally locked? Half is desert and grass, the other is icy. Or normal rotation?

Tidally locked sounds good. Or perhaps make it rotate slowly like mercury. So it can be a barely habitable wasteland.

2 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

PostSpawnOrbit

{

referenceBody = x

}

Inside "Body" to specify referenceBody

Yep, been there done that. Kerbin drifts away from its orbit in the tracking station and things can get a tad funky. Won't be using PSO any time soon

6 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Yep, been there done that. Kerbin drifts away from its orbit in the tracking station and things can get a tad funky. Won't be using PSO any time soon

Maybe we can live with a messed-up space center scene. Just sayin'.

1 minute ago, Mrcarrot said:

Maybe we can live with a messed-up space center scene. Just sayin'.

It's more than the scene. I'm more bothered about people who aren't so good with mods and will continue to report known bugs.

Anyways, KSC is fine on Duna :wink:

Wow! Looks very good!

Will be giving this thread a follow, and see how it turns out. :wink:

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

How about deleting Kerbin and create a clone of it? And reparenting the clone around whichever body you choose? (I used the 'template' node for this)

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Special sunflare provided by @JadeOfMaar! Had to scale it up 35 times to fit the giant star! (This is taken from Duna nearly 1.5x as far out as usual)

Wait, how do you scale sunflares? Does it have something to do with the flareSettings or spikeSettings?

15 minutes ago, EricL said:

How about deleting Kerbin and create a clone of it? And reparenting the clone around whichever body you choose? (I used the 'template' node for this)

You can't apply a space centre to something which isn't kerbin. Thus why Post Spawn Orbit is required.

____

To scale up the sunflare, reduce the last value in sunflare and sunspike settings. Yes - reduce it. The formula for the scale is (1 / number)

15 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

You can't apply a space centre to something which isn't kerbin. Thus why Post Spawn Orbit is required.

Really? This code seems to work:

//for changing Kerbin when moving it
@Kopernicus:FOR[Intergalactic]
{
	useOnDemand = false
	Body
	{
		name = Kerbin
		flightGlobalsIndex = 3
		orbitIndex = 0
		finalizeOrbit = true
		cacheFile = Intergalactic/Cache/Kerbin.bin
		Debug
		{
			exportMesh = true
			update = true
		}
		Template
		{
			name = Kerbin	//clone Kerbin
			removeAllPQSMods = false
		}
	  	Orbit 
        	{ 
			referenceBody = Kerbol
       		} 
	}
}

15 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

To scale up the sunflare, reduce the last value in sunflare and sunspike settings. Yes - reduce it. The formula for the scale is (1 / number)

Thanks! I'll try that out!

BTW, @Gameslinx.

I noticed that Duna's atmosphere is still blueish. Perhaps you should make the sky a little grayer bordering on yellow, given that the sunlight at this point would be quite orange or even red. Also, the surfaces of the planets should be noticeably tinted.

Just a few minor observations that might interest you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.