[RELEASED] After Kerbin [AfK] - Billions of Years after Stock

Gameslinx

4 hours ago, daniel l. said:

BTW, @Gameslinx.

I noticed that Duna's atmosphere is still blueish. Perhaps you should make the sky a little grayer bordering on yellow, given that the sunlight at this point would be quite orange or even red. Also, the surfaces of the planets should be noticeably tinted.

Just a few minor observations that might interest you :)

Will change Duma's atmo.

Surfaces are already tinted, just not in Scaled Space (to preserve colours)

7 hours ago, EricL said:

Really? This code seems to work:

"Name = Kerbin"

As I said, you cannot apply a space centre to something which isn't kerbin. Your planet is kerbin, meaning you can.

12 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

You can't apply a space centre to something which isn't kerbin. Thus why Post Spawn Orbit is required.

I think he meant doing exactly what you're probably doing already: deleting it and starting from scratch. Before Kerbin and GPO both do this.

16 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

I think he meant doing exactly what you're probably doing already: deleting it and starting from scratch. Before Kerbin and GPO both do this.

Mhm, that's what I've always done. And there are bugs. Therefore I'm not reparenting the home planet.

Edited by Gameslinx

On 9/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, Gameslinx said:

"Name = Kerbin"

As I said, you cannot apply a space centre to something which isn't kerbin. Your planet is kerbin, meaning you can.

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were trying to change Kerbin's name also...

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

That only changes it on the surface for localization, while in other part of the game it will still be referred to as Kerbin. cbNameLater is what you want.

cbNameLater doesn't work in 1.3, displayName doesn't work in 1.2. Both together is best.

Edited by Mrcarrot

11 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

In fact, it does. 

Download MoonReorganizer (link in my sig- specifically 0.5) and look at minmus around Duna. Then, look at MoonReorganizer.cfg in the configs folder. you will find that I used cbNameLater and it doesn't work. In 0.6, I fixed this, so it needs to be 0.5. All prevous versions used @name, so 0.5 is necessary for me to prove my point.

Edited by Mrcarrot

10 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Download MoonReorganizer (link in my sig- specifically 0.5) and look at minmus around Duna. Then, look at MoonReorganizer.cfg in the configs folder. you will find that I used cbNameLater and it doesn't work. In 0.6, I fixed this, so it needs to be 0.5. All prevous versions used @name, so 0.5 is necessary for me to prove my point.

cbNameLater does work in 1.3. I use it in multiple mods... displayName is needed for localization purposes, so yes, they work best together.. just because you can't get it to work in your mod, doesn't mean it doesn't work.. 

Edited by Galileo

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, Gameslinx said:

Cannot start on Laythe. Kopernicus is too buggy and I'm not re-parenting the home planet if there are problems.

With Alien Space Programs the only things I noticed were bugged KSP scenes. Jool receding into the distance, for instance. Check the configuration for Laythe for inspiration.

I'll take a closer look though, as Kopernicus changed a lot of things with 1.3.0-6. Maybe they introduced some new bugs with re-parented home worlds.

8 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Maybe they introduced some new bugs with re-parented home worlds.

The bugs from back then still remain. I've made Duna and I'm very happy with how it turned out, so don't worry too much. I was stopped by a limitation :P

Just now, Galileo said:

cbNameLater does work in 1.3. I use it in multiple mods... displayName is needed for localization purposes, so yes, they work best together.. 

Yes, that's what I meant. cbNameLater has no effects in the map view in 1.3. Which makes you wonder, if very few planet names can be localized, why do we need displayName?

10 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Yes, that's what I meant. cbNameLater has no effects in the map view in 1.3. Which makes you wonder, if very few planet names can be localized, why do we need displayName?

All planets can be localized. I have GPP localized. If you are just renaming a stock body, like you do in moonreorganizer, you will need cbNameLater AND displayName. The reason is because the stock cfgs have their own displayName in the cfg and if you don't overwrite them, they will display the stock names. dispplayName is not exclusive to Kopernicus as stock uses it as of 1.3. Kopernicus just allows you to change it. If you don't have displayName for a renamed or new planet, science experiments wont work right and crew reports and other science reports wont display correctly. Its necessary for localization. I recommend you look through GPPs cfgs to get an idea of how localization works and how cbNameLater/displayName works. 

Edited by Galileo

11 minutes ago, Galileo said:

All planets can be localized. I have GPP localized. If you are just renaming a stock body, like you do in moonreorganizer, you will need cbNameLater AND displayName. The reason is because the stock cfgs have their own displayName in the cfg and if you don't overwrite them, they will display the stock names. dispplayName is not exclusive to Kopernicus as stock uses it as of 1.3. Kopernicus just allows you to change it. If you don't have displayName for a renamed or new planet, science experiments wont work right and crew reports and other science reports wont display correctly. Its necessary for localization. 

Makes sense. But what I meant is, why do we need to localize something that cannot be translated?

Also, the stock planets are built in. there are no stock planet cfgs.

Unless you count Kopernicus's system.cfg.

Edited by Mrcarrot

Just now, Mrcarrot said:

Makes sense. But what I meant is, why do we need to localize something that cannot be translated?

It's not just to translate it. Its how Squad makes the science reports work grammatically now too. Without it, a science report my look like 

"You have taken a surface sample from a _____________ " 

That blank could either be a wrong name or it could could look wrong like 

"You have taken a surface sample from a Minmus" 

Clearly, you didn't take a surface sample from "a Minmus". It should be:

"You have taken a surface sample from Minmus" 

displayName is required to fix those issues.

read through the stock cfgs. located here:
https://github.com/Kopernicus/kittopia-dumps/tree/master/Configs

That will give you an idea of how display name should be used. 

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It's not just to translate it. Its how Squad makes the science reports work grammatically now too. Without it, a science report my look like 

"You have taken a surface sample from a _____________ " 

That blank could either be a wrong name or it could could look wrong like 

"You have taken a surface sample from a Minmus" 

Clearly, you didn't take a surface sample from "a Minmus". It should be:

"You have taken a surface sample from Minmus" 

displayName is required to fix those issues.

read through the stock cfgs. located here:
https://github.com/Kopernicus/kittopia-dumps/tree/master/Configs

That will give you an idea of how display name should be used. 

I know how to use it, I just wanted to know why we had to localize planet names.

6 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Technically, those are not stock. The planets are built in without Kopernicus.

Kittopia pulls the cfgs from within the stock game. That is what they are. If you would like to have a discussion with the kopernicus devs, I can set that up. 

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Kittopia pulls the cfgs from within the stock game. That is what they look are. If you would like to have a discussion with the kopernicus devs, I can set that up.

That's not necessary. I know how to use Kopernicus, I've even read a little of its source code, I know how templates work.

I was just saying that the planet cfgs do not exist as files in the KSP directory.

Edited by Mrcarrot

Just now, Mrcarrot said:

If I came across as rude, please note that that was not intentional. It's just hard to tell what someone means when you can only see words that they typed.

No, you didn't come across as rude. I just don't want to continue a conversation with someone who already has it all figured out :) If you don't think those are the stock cfgs, that's fine, I won't argue with you.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

No, you didn't come across as rude. I just don't want to continue a conversation with someone who already has it all figured out :) If you don't think those are the stock cfgs, that's fine, I won't argue with you.

I don't know how to make handcrafted terrain, just procedural. Aside from that, I'm good.

EDIT: Not bragging, I just mean I don't need help in other areas.

Edited by Mrcarrot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.