Ok, lets get this started.

Mods in Use:

MechJeb, SpaceY, SpaceY Expanded, Cacteye, Chatterer, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Procedural Fairings, Reentry Particle Effects, KIS, KAS, Planetary Base.

Note: ALL mods are up to current standards for KSP 1.3.0.

Issue: MechJeb is failing to stage the first stage away, requiring manual staging, then, when the action group to discharge the payload fairing it suddenly decides it wants to engage the sepatrons which destroys a portion of my payload rendering it entirely useless. I post this here, as, the game is not generating a log that I can find, and the console depicted in the final images shows no errors either. Is anyone encountering this themselves or have some clue as to what is going on?

Personal Supposition: I think either my craft is borked some how, or something is going on with mechjeb. Or its a kraken. I honestly do not know.

Craft File (NOTE: if you wish to explore my craft to see this for yourself, you require: MechJeb, Procedural Fairings, Cacteye telescope) For ease of helping, I will remove the spaceY launch clamps): http://www.filedropper.com/hubblespacetelescopetest

Secondary Note: Sorry for the lack of an album, but, I am told the new forum upgrade broke the imgur albums, so, heres a string of images. It should be noted, one the first stage is cut lose, I begin taking pictures once a second until manual deployment of the payload fairing. I have never had MechJeb do this. I have used it since I discovered it back in KSP 0.21, and never had need to command it to stop short of any stages.

Initial Post Posting Edit Note of additional Information: I just tried something. I tore off the boost stage, leaving the final orbital stage/payload intact. I replaced the mechjeb unit, zeroed the mainsails thrust and launched. I found that even if I manually stage the thing using space bar, the moment that fairing is deployed and mechjeb is active, it instantly fires the sepatrons. IF I use the action group or manually stage with mechjeb OFFLINE the sepatrons do not engage.

Secondary Post Posting Edit Note of additional additional Information: I just altered the vehicle again, moving the mechjeb unit up onto the payload itself. This had no effect on the aforementioned issue.

Tertiary Post Posting Edit Note of additional additional additional Information: I found I was missing a probe core on the payload. Thought adding one would fix it along with swapping to stock sepatrons. It did allow for control of the payload post undocking on orbit, but, the sepatrons are still being fired by the mechjeb. cause remains unknown.

On the pad: 

MZ6HcGc.png

Initial Ascent:

Fm3gaPK.png

Stage One MECO, This image and all the rest to follow are taken roughly at 1 to 1.5 second intervals:

YM58BqO.png

MechJeb is now just sitting there as we coast:

GZT3peb.png

MechJeb still sitting there doing nothing as we coast:

hpQYQeq.png

I press 1 button, action group 1 to deploy the payload fairing, suddenly mechjeb wakes up and cooks the payload:

Frt7nTo.png

I have 0 clue what is going on here. I have never seen mechjeb do this since I first found it way back at 0.21. I wish I knew what was going on. And before someone asks if I have an output log, no, no I do not, as it has not created one. The last log I see that has the title of output log is from october 2016, and thats in both the KSP_Data and KSP_X64_Data folders. If I am not looking in the correct place to find one dated for September 4, 2017 please guide me to it, and I will gladly file dropper it into this post with a big ol edit showing it off. I will try to coax the kraken out of hiding as those who know more than I take a look see.

OP 23:57:30

first edit time: 00:05:30

second edit time: 00:08:30

third edit time: 00:29:30

fourth edit: 11:06:30

fifth edit: 15:27:30

sixth edit: 9-6-17 18:42:30

Edited by AlamoVampire

On 9/4/2017 at 9:57 PM, AlamoVampire said:

MechJeb still sitting there doing nothing as we coast:

I took it and did some testing. I'm pretty sure what's happening here is that Mechjeb thinks that the interstage fairing are the actual fairings, so during that coasting stage, it's waiting to get to the part of the atmosphere where it can drop fairings safely. You can probably get it to activate the stage immediately by setting the fairing deployment altitude to 40000km ish? or maybe that would activate that stage too early. I haven't tested that but it's an idea.

And as a result of that it doesn't decouple the actual fairings because it think it already did. Which you already set up an action group to 

On 9/4/2017 at 9:57 PM, AlamoVampire said:

I press 1 button, action group 1 to deploy the payload fairing, suddenly mechjeb wakes up and cooks the payload:

As for this, Mechjeb doesn't know that the srbs are for deorbit, it just sees them as extra engines for the craft. The way I solved that was by telling it to stop at stage 1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.