How to simulate KSP Solar system with a program

Mr. Quark

Just now, Mr. Quark said:

I tried that but I want a program.

Well in the OP you asked if such a simulation is still possible, and it is. You might find someone who has the program used in the video somewhere on their PC, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for someone to just hammer out a new program for you.

32 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

Well in the OP you asked if such a simulation is still possible, and it is. You might find someone who has the program used in the video somewhere on their PC, but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for someone to just hammer out a new program for you.

I'm not waiting for someone to make a program for me, I want to know if there are any alternatives to the program (Cause of broken download link)

Sure. The wiki has all of the orbital and physical characteristics of KSP's bodies. You just have to plug those in to a simulation. Octave or Matlab can do that. Some light googling suggests that Universe Sandbox is a pretty popular tool for Kerbal simulation as well. 

5 minutes ago, stibbons said:

Sure. The wiki has all of the orbital and physical characteristics of KSP's bodies. You just have to plug those in to a simulation. Octave or Matlab can do that. Some light googling suggests that Universe Sandbox is a pretty popular tool for Kerbal simulation as well. 

Universe Sandbox isn't an N-body simulation, it uses field of influences (Like KSP)

5 minutes ago, CaptainTrebor said:

As far as I know, Universe Sandbox is an N-body simulation.

Ah, I thought I heard about it not being N-body. Well I just found a video of someone trying to reproduce the Kerbian system and it messed up (Density etc)

Just now, YNM said:

Someone have even managed to do them in-game KSP. Say hello to Principia. Densities are not modelled but on stock they had to compensate you know.

Yeah I heard that but like I said: I want a program. I feel like programs have much more elegance than an in-game mod. That said I use principia for this, but am still looking for a program.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Quark said:

Yeah I heard that but like I said: I want a program. I feel like programs have much more elegance than an in-game mod. That said I use principia for this, but am still looking for a program.

Purpose-built n-body simulator would be somewhere in Universe Sandbox, although the densities might not work. I'm not aware of anything else so far.

You're welcome if you want to do a code from scratch or something.

And please note, Principia's "stock system" is NOT stock at all. The mod author reminds that.

Edited by YNM

Just now, YNM said:

Purpose-built n-body simulator would be somewhere in Universe Sandbox, although the densities might not work.

You're welcomed if you want to do a code from scratch or something.

I don't know how to code so I am waiting for someone that has the program in the video. Or something close to that.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Quark said:

I don't know how to code so I am waiting for someone that has the program in the video. Or something close to that.

Video author states it's a self-made program. There's a link in the description but it's dead. I'm not aware anyone else who have made one themself. Perhaps ask the author of Principia a favour ?

Edited by YNM

If you are trying to build your own solar system, you might run into stability problems. This manifests itself by a pop-up message like "Apocalypse occurred at..." and an error in the logs. To solve the problem, you might need to simulate your solar system in an external tool and find its regions of stability.

From principia FAQ on Github . He doesn't seem to plan on making an external program.

Orbits evolution with perfect visualization is emulated in the mentioned Universal Sandbox 2 (available on Steam).

It doesn't take into account the inner structure of the bodies (mass distribution along the planet radius), and that's sad, but KSP planets are anyway homogeneous balls, so this doesn't matter.
Custom planet parameters can be easily set there.

7 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Orbits evolution with perfect visualization is emulated in the mentioned Universal Sandbox 2 (available on Steam).

It doesn't take into account the inner structure of the bodies (mass distribution along the planet radius), and that's sad, but KSP planets are anyway homogeneous balls, so this doesn't matter.
Custom planet parameters can be easily set there.

But it would also take way too much time to set it all up.

2 hours ago, Mr. Quark said:

From principia FAQ on Github . He doesn't seem to plan on making an external program.

Well that's it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Quark said:

Does anyone have a mirror for the download in the video?

AFAIK Dropbox don't have. Once it's gone, it is gone.

He seems to be a KSP player back some time in the past but then stopped. So your chance is to contact someone who knows the thing (him, via e-mail or perhaps he lurks here ? or someone else completely different).

Just now, Mr. Quark said:

But it would also take way too much time to set it all up.

Still better than coding, better go for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.