sevenperforce

Roads to Duna: No Moar Boosters (UPDATES!)

@sevenperforce, for Loop The Loop, is it okay if I leave some drop tanks in an elliptical Kerbin orbit? I've designed them with probe cores and solars, so I can recover them and reattach later.

sevenperforce    1469
3 minutes ago, icantmakemodels said:

@sevenperforce, for Loop The Loop, is it okay if I leave some drop tanks in an elliptical Kerbin orbit? I've designed them with probe cores and solars, so I can recover them and reattach later.

Yes, it is. It's fine to discard the drop tanks entirely if you want. Loop The Loop merely requires that some portion of your transfer vehicle remain in Duna orbit during your landing mission, and that same portion ends up in Kerbin orbit. It is intended to encourage the creation of a transfer hab (Stayin' Alive) like an Aldrin Cycler or the Hermes from The Martian while rewarding Apollo-style Orbit Rendezvous missions. You could use a completely expendable transfer injection stage as long as you still bring the Duna Orbiter back to LKO, ready for another mission.

Update on my ITS Mission.

The spacecraft was optimized (it's sort of stable on reentry now and can do oxidizer mining on Duna) and I managed to fly and land the Booster.

fgSS3FF.png

Full album with here: https://imgur.com/a/DYh2l

14% of the booster's fuel was locked and I used only that to boost back and land. 

Unfortunately, the radiator panels I used as engine shroud blew up on touchdown, but everything else remained intact.

Will this still count as reusable? (I could do it again and simply take the radiator panels off, but I'd rather not)

Is it ok, If I simply keep the same amount of fuel locked for future launches and just pretend to land it?

sevenperforce    1469
9 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

Update on my ITS Mission.

The spacecraft was optimized (it's sort of stable on reentry now and can do oxidizer mining on Duna) and I managed to fly and land the Booster.

fgSS3FF.png

Full album with here: https://imgur.com/a/DYh2l

14% of the booster's fuel was locked and I used only that to boost back and land. 

Unfortunately, the radiator panels I used as engine shroud blew up on touchdown, but everything else remained intact.

Will this still count as reusable? (I could do it again and simply take the radiator panels off, but I'd rather not)

Is it ok, If I simply keep the same amount of fuel locked for future launches and just pretend to land it?

Spectacular! I love your use of the Mk2 parts. This definitely counts as reusable and there's no need to go through the individual landings of every other booster.

purpleivan    1812

Quick question about "Stayin' Alive"... the rule says that living space is for the "transfer to and from Duna". Is this the transfer to and from Duna orbit, or does the extra accommodation have to go down to the Duna surface as well?

sevenperforce    1469
16 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

Quick question about "Stayin' Alive"... the rule says that living space is for the "transfer to and from Duna". Is this the transfer to and from Duna orbit, or does the extra accommodation have to go down to the Duna surface as well?

Transfer only. Think of an Aldrin Cycler or something like the Hermes, where the crew uses a cramped capsule to get down to Mars and back up again, but can enjoy larger accommodations for the lengthy trips back and forth.