[SOLVED] .mu export does not contain model and is only 89 bytes

I made a model in Autodesk 3ds Max 2018 (student version) and exported it as .dae.

I imported it in Unity (2017.1.1f1), made the necessary adjustments and wrote the .mu file.

This file is only 89 bytes big (which it definitely shouldn't be), and it does not load my model in KSP (the log says the file, config and texture all load).

Is this a common problem, or can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hi check unitys error console, as it fairly obvious you have an export problem,  Common causes for your problem are, collider or colliders in excess of  255 poly's , `missing or deleted mesh, incorrect file path or illegal characters in that file path .   All of these problems leave a log , in fact every unity process writes to the console in some way. 

Thanks for the reply!

- console does not show any problems (Set GameData directory, model.mu written)

- collider model has 256 faces / 138 vertices, unity does not tell me how many the collider mesh has, seems to be < 100 faces

- filepath has no illegal (or even special) characters

I'm going to try to make a simple box now and see if that works, if it does it might be a problem with my model

edit: here's a thing that I'm not sure of - is it legal to make the collision mesh a child of the model?

Edited by ExtremeTrader

2 hours ago, ExtremeTrader said:

edit: here's a thing that I'm not sure of - is it legal to make the collision mesh a child of the model?

yes, and if its your first try at it, it's really easier to try the simplest part as possible ( the box as you said, a simple diffuse texture and a fuel tank config or something like this)

Hey, any chance of a screenshot of your hierarchy, not wishing to contradict anyone but in my several hundred unity exports experience, the mesh collider is always a child of some part or another and a grandchild of the main parent game object. As in the image below, which is the simplest hierarchy that showed , colliders i could find a screeny of ( box colllders are grandchildren of parent object and children of model (base) )

v0OiPND.png

Basically, I followed this tutorial: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish

Some screenshots if I can get the imgur tags to work:

Spoiler

[imgur]DUMx5[/imgur]

aand they don't work / I'm too stupid to figure it out

http://imgur.com/a/DUMx5

@SpannerMonkey(smce) I noticed that your textures show up in the parttools script, but they don't for me. Might be an older version thing, not sure.

Edited by ExtremeTrader

Hi, try this , create an empty game object, align to zero zero zero , Then drag your teapot model on to that game object, so that it becomes a child, now drag your mesh collider to be a child of teapot. 

OK,  Now select your material for your model, click it so that it shows in inspector and drag your chosen texture onto the material,

now that it is definitively attached to a material, drag the material on to the teapot mesh, the color should now be applied.  

Now select the parent GameObject so that it shows in inspector,  now click add component, and select KSP Part Tools, 

If you have already set a Gamedata directory, the script should add the exporter window with spaces for name, file path and texture type , ( if you haven't direct the path to wherever you carry out dev work) (beware empty part or example cfgs can cause part tools to get a bit broken) check the box marked show materials, and then select compile Materials,

All being well the compiled materials should be your texture, and the only object rendered should be teapot.

Add the name file path and texture type, and hit the export button.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.