Hurricane dispersal by supersonic booms & implications of building real life star destroyers

moonsparkejo

Vote on if you think we should do it  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should we attempt to disperse a hurricane with a series of sonic booms

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Logistics and circumstances aside, do you believe it would be possible to actually disperse a hurricane given enough aircraft

• Yes
    • Probably
    • No

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes.

Reveal hidden contents

from_dust-19.jpg

(This works in From Dust, why shouldn't irl?)

Believe it or not, in our country (esp. the central parts of the island I live in) that is nearly a profession (it's not exactly that, but it claims to "bend" weather, at least rain shower). You want to ensure your event isn't disturbed by rain ? Just hire one. Too often it works - sometimes no cloud at all would enter the area as far as the eyes see - but no one is sure how true it is !

Edited by YNM

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In late medieval ages the were shooting at tornadoes with cannonballs. Is this method now patented, too?

Legend has it they rung bells at thunderstorms.  Laws had to be passed and bell ringers forced to avoid ringing bells to avoid death.  No idea how accurate that one is.

I heard that too, once. My medieval knowledge is limited.

But people generally where more spiritual and it might be simply because churches - at least high medieval times, 11th century onwards - usually where strong stone buildings that offered more safety from gusts, rain and lightning strikes.

Edited by Green Baron

35 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Legend has it they rung bells at thunderstorms.  Laws had to be passed and bell ringers forced to avoid ringing bells to avoid death.  No idea how accurate that one is.

I remember hearing about this lunacy in school; unfortunately it was so long ago I don't remember the context and whether my teacher presented it as an actual lightning repellent or as a superstitious folly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.