Rich vein of ore?

Mining is something I have neglected by a long time to only recently decide to play with it.

As such I decided to take the contract that asked me to get 500 unit of ore from the Mun and put it in Kerbin's orbit.

Was planning to land my mining vessel, start to mine,  go do something else and come back after some time. But due to crashing and losing most of my solar panels overseeing the moniny procedure turned a requirement. 

By this point I was expecting a long and tedious mining (low ore concentration, low level engineer, energy shortages) but then it happened.

A series of messages showed up saying "25% of [some descriptive] mined", "50%... ,"75%... "100%... and in a few moments my ore tanks were almost full, (more than enough for my imediate needs). 

Based on previous knowledge from forum discussion and guides, I was under the assumption that ore concentration was  fixed for a given location and no deplention occurred.  Well, the apparent finding of a rich vein is a bit conflicting with that supposition. I have a bunch of mods, but none supposed to change ore availability.

Question are:

What happened? Is that  some recent change to the game or just something that I misunderstood previously?  

Any idea of what are the chances of find those rich veins? How much ore can those veins holds? Difficult settings affect it?

Can it be detected by survey scanners or otherwise? 

Can it be disabled? (Some people prefer the game not too easy)

Can it be an effect of an anomaly? (Seems unlike to me, but not impossible) 

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give some insight on the situation. 

I've been seeing it, too. I don't need the cash anymore, but I sometimes take "mine ore" contracts just to activate stations I haven't used in a long time. I empty the ore tanks so I can begin filling them with new ore, but the moment I click "jettison contents" the ore tanks are immediately refilled. I empty them a couple times and the contract is fulfilled. I don't know if it's counting ore that was building up in "phantom" tanks while I was away (cuz sometimes it doesn't work; mostly on newer stations that I've been using), but it does seem to have a limit (though I haven't tried to discover what the limit is). This has only occurred since 1.3. You're actually the first person I've seen mention it, though we can't be the only ones who've experienced it.

It's clearly a bug, but we can't be sure from your comments whether your game is modded or not. If it is, the bug is almost certainly in one of the mods.

We would need an unmodded savegame to test -- because it might be dependent on the exact location. And we'd need version info.

Edited by bewing

2 hours ago, bewing said:

It's clearly a bug, but we can't be sure from your comments whether your game is modded or not. If it is, the bug is almost certainly in one of the mods.

We would need an unmodded savegame to test -- because it might be dependent on the exact location. And we'd need version info.

Had to think about it for awhile, but it's definitely not a single location. I know for a fact I've completed contracts this way very recently on both Moho and Tylo. I'm pretty sure I did it on Ike and Gilly, as well. And possibly on Pol, Bop, and Minmus, but I'm not positive about those.

24 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

Had to think about it for awhile, but it's definitely not a single location. I know for a fact I've completed contracts this way very recently on both Moho and Tylo. I'm pretty sure I did it on Ike and Gilly, as well. And possibly on Pol, Bop, and Minmus, but I'm not positive about those.

Well, we've tried drilling on Minmus as a test and it worked normally. So it's either not everywhere, or not all the time. Which means we need a savegame.

Well, I will try to take a look and see if I can provide more info about it (logs, screenshots, etc) as soon I have time. 

Its not something that really bothers me since I didn't noticed any adverse effect. Mostly that is something unexpected that I prefer to know why happened. 

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Actually... it sounds like a mod :wink:

Well, as far I remember none of my mods should affect how mining behave. But I don't rule out something bundled with a different  mod or just that I forgot something previously installed for testing. 

18 hours ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

I empty the ore tanks so I can begin filling them with new ore, but the moment I click "jettison contents" the ore tanks are immediately refilled.

In my case there was no ore previously in the vessel. 

Also, not sure if that is what happened in you case, for me it didn't completely top the ore holds but there was still space for 100 units or so. Like if the availability suddenly peaked anr then reverted back to normal.

Happened again, at minmus Greater Flats (LAT14º34'43"S Long141º4'50"W). Game give me this message: You have extracted 600 % of Dinkelstein Kerman's Construction Emporium's ore.(in fact a series of similar messages as I extracted the ore for this 'reserve') as I approached my mining vessel with a rover.

My mods: iL39KVp.png  

Output logs shows nothing relevant.

11 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Go to that same spot without all of those mods.  Let us know what happens.  

Well...that was why I posted in Gameplay Questions. To know if someone else had seen something similar.  And while I don't think a mod is doing it, if that was the case there is the chance to someone point out "this is part of [mod name here]".

Bewing said it is a bug, you said it seems to be a mod. But for me is just a "feature" I'm curious about how exactly it works.

The thread was moved to technical support but I don't have any issue with my game, is just curiosity. I think is about time to the question go back to Gameplay Question.

Bewing was incorrect.  You're referencing a feature (and text) that does not exist in stock.  So either there is something going on we're not aware of, or a mod that you are not aware of causing interference.  Hence, the very simple request to see what happens without mods.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Bewing was incorrect.  You're referencing a feature (and text) that does not exist in stock.  So either there is something going on we're not aware of, or a mod that you are not aware of causing interference.  Hence, the very simple request to see what happens without mods.

Fair enough.

My point is that it is not a big deal. At least not big enough to me want to expend my limited game time hunting down a occurence of this in a stock game (if nothing else because I don't play stock) . Nice if someone know something about it, otherwise I may eventually figure it out as I keep playing

Please move back as this is not a gameplay question.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure it is. Something happened in my game and I'm asking if others noticed the same,  if that aspect of the game changed recently and so on.

Since the OP has expressed no interest in troubleshooting this, write it off as a mod issue for the benefit of anyone finding this thread later.

Anyone that see an issue can create a new tread there and either link to  this one or ask me to describe it.

34 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Sorry, I'm pretty sure it is. Something happened in my game and I'm asking if others noticed the same,  if that aspect of the game changed recently and so on.

Anyone that see an issue can create a new tread there and either link to  this one or ask me to describe it.

You are referencing text that I have never seen in the game (and I wrote the resource system).  And depletion is not included in stock.

I had kinda forgotten about this (I never really visit the tech support forum). Though I think @Spricigo and I are seeing separate issues, I probably should've been a bit more helpful. It might be because I play stock but, for a game of this complexity, I've found it surprisingly bug-free. Most of what I've seen ranges between a raised-eyebrow and mild puzzlement now and then. The game has never crashed on me (except while trying to close it anyway sometimes) and, with the exception of the horrible "jumping maneuver node" (which was fixed in 1.3), I've never experienced any serious, game-killing problems. I realize this is due to all the work and bug-smashing that's gone on in the past, so I feel like I haven't done my part on this. Reason being is, as Spricigo said above, it wasn't effecting my game in any negative way. I empty an ore tank, and it's immediately refilled. It was actually beneficial more than anything else. I can quickly fulfill an "extract ore" contract. And it doesn't go on forever. From what I remember from the last time I did it, it stopped refilling after a few times. This is what led me to believe that ore was somehow being stored in a "phantom" tank while I was away and the drills were still going. I'll make sure it still works tonight (just to make sure I don't look like an idiot, though I've done it pretty recently; definitely in 1.3) and provide a save game or whatever else you need. Though I must admit I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing that.

1 hour ago, bewing said:

The text is from a contract, and that was stuff that Arsonide coded. It is completely stock.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzAticeo-5-BV3ZFd2tsei0wUXM

Yes, that is the kind of messages I got in both occasions. If I understood corectly it is just there to show how much ore I have (relative to how much the contract asks). That's right? (As I mentioned I didn't mined at all until a few days ago)

In that case the 'high yeld' that I observed may be just an unrelated glitch. If that's the case, happenned just once or twice and im not sure if is reproducible.  (in any case I will pay attention).

@bewing, @RoverDude:

Here's a quick video of the glitch in action. There was an available "mine ore from Gilly" contract, so I grabbed that one, but I've done this on Moho, Tylo, and I'm pretty sure Pol, Bop, Ike, and Minmus as well. As I said, I don't think this is what Spricigo was talking about, and it hasn't affected my game negatively, so I never really thought to mention it.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

10 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

@bewing, @RoverDude:

Here's a quick video of the glitch in action. There was an available "mine ore from Gilly" contract, so I grabbed that one, but I've done this on Moho, Tylo, and I'm pretty sure Pol, Bop, Ike, and Minmus as well. As I said, I don't think this is what Spricigo was talking about, and it hasn't affected my game negatively, so I never really thought to mention it.

Savegame, please! :D

Ok - that's not depletion, that's contract status.  And it looks like it's an exploit prevention tool for ore contracts since it looks like the 'glich' occurs when jettisoning tanks (which makes sense given the context of a contract where you may have to return said ore).  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.