Fractional Radial Symmetry Placing

So when you place stuff in radial symmetry in VAB you have the options to place the part 1, 2, 4, 6 or 8 times in radial symmetry.

Now, when you want to attach child parts to these, they have to be either placed single or in the same symmetry setting as the parent part.

My suggestion is this:

Allow placing of child parts in a fractional (e.g. halved or quartered) symmetry count (not sure if that's the right way to call it), if the result is a full number.

Or as a complete list:

parent 4 times -> child 1, 2 or 4 times

parent 6 times -> child 1, 2, 3 or 6 times

parent 8 times -> child 1, 2, 4 or 8 times

If this is not understandable or if anyone has suggestions on how to word it better, please tell me :)

Edit: remembered that 2 times symmetry for child parts on 6 times symmetry on parent parts also fits in the list

Edited by MalkContent

I don't think there's an a easy way to do this actually. It's not strictly a limitation of the editor but the way vessels work in KSP. They are made of part trees. If a part has rotationally or mirror symmetrical copies of it, it's noted there. If you then attach a anothet part to it, it can either become a part of the transformation (obey the parent part symmetry) or not. There isn't really a middle ground. It would probably be fine for simple fractions of the orignal symmetry but imagine attaching a part to a 3 way symmetric part and then have it be mirror symmetric. It would just break.

The way to do it is to keep an attachment node open on top of your craft and build objects in the proper order.

Let's say I'm making an ascent vehicle, and I want my craft to have three drop tanks in radial symmetry, each with two landing legs in mirror symmetry.

I set up the core part, then I place the part I want to use as the base of my drop tank on top of that core. I switch on mirror symmetry and place the legs where I want them on the drop tank base part. Then, I pick up drop tank part, switch back to radial symmetry, and place it on the core part. I can rotate the drop tank base as desired and the mirror symmetry remains.

Just can't mess with the legs after they're placed.

I used this method to make a perfect omnidirectional Vernor-based RCS thruster with a low form factor for a Dragon 1 clone.

1 hour ago, Three_Pounds said:

I don't think there's an a easy way to do this actually. It's not strictly a limitation of the editor but the way vessels work in KSP. They are made of part trees. If a part has rotationally or mirror symmetrical copies of it, it's noted there. If you then attach a anothet part to it, it can either become a part of the transformation (obey the parent part symmetry) or not. There isn't really a middle ground. It would probably be fine for simple fractions of the orignal symmetry but imagine attaching a part to a 3 way symmetric part and then have it be mirror symmetric. It would just break.

Couldn't you just subdivide the parent symmetry tree upon choosing a lower symmetry on a child part? I mean, how is it done if you place a child part in single symmetry?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.