Your preferred strategies

I realize that if there is one building I have neglected all along, it's the main office. I never could get the hang of strategies, which ones would pay off, how much to invest etc etc etc. I still have no good idea of  a good idea vs a bad idea in the strategy department.

How about you? Do you neglect them as well? Do you have your favourite strategies, investments etc? How much time do you spend looking around in the main office building?

Unpaid Research and Outsourced R&D are my go-to strategies early on. Contracts don't pay much yet, and your Rep is low, so I don't feel like you lose much by trading them. However, the extra science is a huge help in the early game.

Later, of course, is the opposite. Once the tree is unlocked, I trade the (now useless) science for cash. Then, once I'm swimming in cash, I trade some of the science for extra Rep. Just enough to go over the 92% threshold to get the "Ultimate Contract".

I'm running with "Money -> Science" Strategy at 50%. cash flow is sufficient, I feel even at reduced rate almost every launch brings income if one bundles several contracts at once: I like the "Tourist Bus" ones especially or launching single satellite and then repositioning to complete several contracts. will cancel if I ever unlock the entire community tree.

I was doing "Rep-> Science" but stopped since at 50% commit reputation stayed completely stagnant (was expecting slower but still gain).

overall as was said above, I feel that indeed I get close to nothing.

Is there a shrug emoji?

Not sure why anyone would feel strategies are harmful. I never went broke; so trading some cash didn't hurt me. And you get crappy contracts in the beginning; so I don't feel like trading a bit of Reputation hurt me either. However, the early tech nodes don't cost much. Those extra science points were a big help to me early on. It seemed like a sound investment to me. We all play differently, though.

57 minutes ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

[...] We all play differently, though.

^These are words of wisdom. Personally, I don't find strategies worthwhile but then again, that would be in the way I play the game. Sure, the grind for science early on is not exactly my favourite part of the game so perhaps there would be some merit in it for me, to look at the strategies more closely. Not too keen either though, to start yet another career for testing. Took me absolute ages to upgrade the VAB/R&D/Pad to tier 3.

Don't neglect Prestige. A higher Prestige make all your contracts more juicy (and sometimes more ambitious). So I'd go for the 'Space Program Appreciation Campaign'. You trade (precious) Money for Prestige, but that's an investment, Money flows in once your Reputation gets real good.

5 hours ago, Alshain said:

Most of them... when Strategia is installed, otherwise that build may as well not be there.

Very interesting indeed. I had no idea about that mod so thanks tons for the heads up. It may very well be the game changer I'm looking for.

There is an interesting option to massively boost any "milestone" bonus at the expense of drastically cutting any bonus from contracts.  It does require significant prestige and other requirements to even have the option (google it before seriously trying to gather the costs).  The time I tried it I wound up botching the game a bit after that, so I really don't know if it is worth it (playing with such limited contract rewards gets scary).

But I like aiming at milestones so much more than contracts that I thought I'd try it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.