How do I post an excel spreadsheet on the forums?

Sippitous

I am looking to post/share an excel spreadsheet I made for KSP on this forum and also on Reddit. And to be clear, I don't want it to be converted to something like google docs or google drive. I want it to remain an excel file. I've looked around on how to go about doing that, but the only thing I found was some vague direction about importing to google docs and to not copy/paste. I have no idea what that means. When I go on google docs there is no import option. plus the thread was 4 years old, so maybe/probably google docs has changed. Couple that with the total lack of experience I have with google docs or drive or any other online spreadsheet source. If anyone can walk me through the process or direct me to some instructions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and again if you help :)

For google drive

Go to your main google drive page

You have two choices:

The fast way -- drag and drop the file from your file explorer onto the google drive webpage (may work best with chrome)

The slower way -- There is a button that says "NEW" -- click that

Maybe create a folder, double click the folder to open it, and click NEW again

Second option says "File Upload"

Then you need to set the permissions, once it's uploaded.

So right click the new file, and select "Share", then "Advanced", then "Change" -- then set it to public or "anyone who has the link", and grab the sharable link, and post it.

Edited by bewing

4 hours ago, Sippitous said:

I am looking to post/share an excel spreadsheet I made for KSP on this forum and also on Reddit. And to be clear, I don't want it to be converted to something like google docs or google drive. I want it to remain an excel file. I've looked around on how to go about....

Thanks for the help, but like I stated earlier, I am looking for a way to post an excel file, not something similar, but an excel file.

I saw on a forum somewhere where someone posted a link and it opened directly into excel. I was hoping to do that. Then they have there own copy of the file to do with what they will. I don't like the idea of having a file open for everyone to edit. With google drive couldn't someone just make a change and delete a referenced cell and break the whole spreadsheet. Or am i mistaken and that is not how google drive works? Also, it may seem weird, but the reason why I even made this spreadsheet (which took me weeks) is because I love Excel and the whole feel of the program. I don't like the imitation programs that try to be like excel, even if they function the same. So, I would like to avoid using them if I have a choice. And I saw some mention of a way of uploading an excel file without having to format it to a google drive document.

An Excel file. One more time for good measure :)

I will take what I can get though, so if there is no solution here, I will either keep looking or submit to an inferior product.

5 hours ago, Sippitous said:

An Excel file. One more time for good measure :)

If you want a link to your excell file, you can upload it to a hosting service and then post a link to the file. Since it's probably small, you're welcome to use a little folder I made in my preferred hosting service: Google Drive

Spoiler

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B4VfTCvq4M80X2kzSlN6M01PZ0E?usp=sharing

Anyone can download, but you happen to need a gmail account to upload. They just updated the UI, and it's pretty intuitive now.

Google Drive does file hosting, while Google Sheets is their excell workalike. It's ok. For both files hosted in Drive and spreadsheets made in Cells, you can choose to have files be readonly but copyable, so people won't mess with the master copy.

Since office is so danged expensive now, excell is becoming more of a rarity where I work. We've moved to using Google Sheets for its price (free) and portability (runs on anything better than a toaster) despite it being massively inferior. Though having said that, I gripe about everything that's not excell 2003! :D

Best of luck!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I was pretty uneducated with google drive. But after poking around, I discovered that when I download the file off of google drive, It opened in excel for me. So, that is good enough. For those that have excel, they can use excel, and those that don't can use google sheets or whatever.

Thanks Cunjo Carl for your help once again. You helped answer a math question I had while making the spreadsheet :D

I am posting the link to the spreadsheet below as a test. It is, for the most part, a delta V trip calculator. I started making it for myself for fun, and then decided half way through that it was turning out to be cool enough to share. If you look at it tell me what you think. I will also be posting this on a separate thread and on Reddit under the name Niknack.

Delta V Calculator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.