selfish_meme

Obscure Fairing problem, same behaviour as previous version

selfish_meme    1961

I admit I am doing something that not many people will do, I am staging a docking port inside an interstage fairing while it is closed (stock propeller). Sometimes though the docking port says it is decoupled what is inside the payload will be stuck as if it is not decoupled. If I delete and rebuild the fairing exactly the same it will work again. Can someone confirm this behaviour, it happened in 1.3.0 as well. It doesn't happen all the time, but once it happens it stays that way till the fairing is rebuilt.

Edited by selfish_meme

I've had this bug before. However when it occurs for me, it is usually half and half as to whether the thing freezes in place or explodes out the side of the fairing as if the fairing was a solid object and not hollow.

selfish_meme    1961
3 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

I've had this bug before. However when it occurs for me, it is usually half and half as to whether the thing freezes in place or explodes out the side of the fairing as if the fairing was a solid object and not hollow.

Usually when it explodes for me its a clearance issue it seems. But I'm not ruling out that it causes explosions too.

Azimech    5934

Something changed with the fairings, they now generate colliders and are not hollow anymore until you decouple. Why Squad has chosen to do this, I don't know.

selfish_meme    1961
7 hours ago, Azimech said:

Something changed with the fairings, they now generate colliders and are not hollow anymore until you decouple. Why Squad has chosen to do this, I don't know.

That's true on the normal fairings, but I can use the interstage fairings the same way they used to work, apart from this bug anyway. It's frustrating because I know it's related to changes I make in the craft but I can't track down what change makes it become solid.

Edit:  maybe that's the clue, possibly the interstage becomes a normal fairing for some reason. I will have to check the craft file for an indicator.

Edited by selfish_meme

Dafni    573
13 hours ago, Azimech said:

Oh please say it ain't so. I'm still on 1.3.0 myself at this point, and I do hope the fairings will behave the same once the full 1.3.1 drops.

If they wont, for some reason, we'll just have to adjust our building tricks and move one. But still, what you describe sounds like a big change indeed. And craft breaking changes suck, although of course we are used to that by now :rolleyes:

selfish_meme    1961
40 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Oh please say it ain't so. I'm still on 1.3.0 myself at this point, and I do hope the fairings will behave the same once the full 1.3.1 drops.

If they wont, for some reason, we'll just have to adjust our building tricks and move one. But still, what you describe sounds like a big change indeed. And craft breaking changes suck, although of course we are used to that by now :rolleyes:

It's the same behavior in 1.3.0, don't worry, but it's the same bug that happens sometimes too

Dafni    573
4 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

It's the same behavior in 1.3.0, don't worry, but it's the same bug that happens sometimes too

Ah, okay, I see, thanks. So the colliders are there and only when you decouple they dissappear? I haven't even noticed this!

selfish_meme    1961
1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Ah, okay, I see, thanks. So the colliders are there and only when you decouple they dissappear? I haven't even noticed this!

There would be no reason to notice it unless you make spinny things, but for that we have interstage fairings, and thats what this bug is about, sometimes the interstage fairings behave like the top closed fairings.