Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

5 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

When is the deadline? This seems like a fun challenge! and is there a score for passengers? because a long range, supersonic jet with around 150-200 passengers seems a fun challenge

Don't think there is a deadline. Check the front page for scoring.

Edited by Cabbink

11 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

I was thinking mabye like +1 point per passenger. Although a flying brick of Mk3 passenger compartments could take advantage of this, the rules say 'Realistic'

What about 2^x where x = passengers/5 or so? exponential, as to account for difficulty

Edited by RedPandaz

6 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

What about 2^x where x = passengers/5 or so? exponential, as to account for difficulty

Well, it isn't really all that difficult, as This Monstrosity that I built for this challenge took me only like 3 hours to build (Cause its huge, not very hard, I did use tweakscale for control surfaces) and flies nice. :wink:

On 9/18/2017 at 1:01 PM, roboslacker said:

Is an 85m/s takeoff speed acceptable?

You should try to lower the takeoff speed. I won't disqualify your plane if you enter it as it is, but it will be marked down.

9 hours ago, Cabbink said:

@Mjp1050 are you going down the line, or just choosing the best? I really want my plane tested either way.

I'm going down the line. @TheEpicSquared is next, I'll try to get to his tonight. 

Good grief, 23 entries already... this might take a while.

6 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

When is the deadline?

There's no deadline, so you can enter whenever you want.

6 hours ago, RedPandaz said:

and is there a score for passengers?

There's no score for the number of passengers.

Come to think of it, there isn't really a quantifiable score at all. Just pitch me your plane and I'll review it.

5 hours ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Could you consider making a Jumbo Jet category? Something like 95 M/s takeoff, 150 + passengers? The one from a few posts up holds 456...

Added. I've been meaning to do this, but somehow never got around to it. 

1 minute ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

Does Rapier count as jet or rocket engine?

If you use it in jet mode, it counts as a jet engine. 

1 minute ago, ImmaStegosaurus! said:

And is atmo skipping acceptable flight profile?

No. The plane has to have a cruising altitude, and sub-orbital hops don't do that.

10 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

Added. I've been meaning to do this, but somehow never got around to it. 

YES! Score! Now to make my Monstrosity jumbo jet go from a 150 KM range to 4000 Kilometer. I will hopefully have a submission in by Saturday.

Edited by TheMadKraken2297
._. Just realized how hard it is...

Test Pilot Review: @TheEpicSquared's IRIDIUM AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGIES - ISRJ-32

HmFE92l.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:20,655,000
  • Fuel: 600 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 260 m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 8700m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.07 kal/s
  • Range: 2200 km

Review Notes:

The ISRJ-32 features a very interesting design that we've not seen before. Unlike most aircraft, the ISRJ-32 lacks elevons and instead features canards, resulting in the most responsive pitch control we've seen in a while. It also has an I-Beam on the back to prevent tail strikes, which is incredibly useful on takeoff, especially on smaller, rougher runways. The ISRJ-32 also features very large flaps on the wings, which allows for a quick deceleration, making landing a breeze. The performance of this aircraft is above average - in particular, we like the 0.07 kal/s fuel consumption rate, which is the best we've seen in a Small Regional Jet - but this performance comes at the cost of passenger comfort. The placement of the main fuel tank is unique: it's located directly between the two halves of the cabin, and while this placement ensures that the ISRJ-32 remains balanced even as fuel is drained, it does make climbing into the back half awkward. Additionally, both the air intake and engine are located directly on the rear cabin, resulting in a lot of noise and vibrations in the cabin.

The Verdict:

Not the most comfortable plane to fly in, but its innovative design gives it unrivaled performance as a Small Regional Jet. Ordering 6 for use on medium-range routes.

Cathiogac 2

Cathiogac aerospace is excited to present it's most recent regional jet, the Cathiogac 2! Our team of engineers spent ages trying to create an unconventional, unique aircraft. However, when the first prototype failed, and the way it failed was not by exploding, we knew something was wrong. At this point we realised planes haven't been designed in a certain way for no reason. so the immensely boring Cathiogac 2 was created, and it works rather well. It has a range of over 1000km (as long as you don't forget to fill the tanks in the wings), is extremely quiet, comfortable and fuel efficient as well. It's handling is decent - just don't try any aerobatics, particularly at low speed.

Oh and did we mention the :funds:13,1500,000 price tag?

3374A04FAE8ABB434F5F81D001B72D6F8A17D6BC

Specs:

Cost: :funds:13,150,000

Cruising altitude: 6100m

Cruising speed: 220m/s

Range: 1150km

Pax: 32

Takeoff Velocity: 45-55m/s

Jeb's Explosion Index Rating: 0

Download

F-Tech is excited to present it's first non-military plane, the CAL-4 Small Regional Jet!

sD6Je88.jpg

It has capacity for 32 passengers over 2 decks, and a range of 1240km. It cruises at just over half throttle at a leisurely 210m/s.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/krxpa4ppdsf88ch/F-Tech CAL-4.craft?dl=0

22 minutes ago, MiffedStarfish said:

F-Tech is excited to present it's first non-military plane, the CAL-4 Small Regional Jet!

sD6Je88.jpg

It has capacity for 32 passengers over 2 decks, and a range of 1240km. It cruises at just over half throttle at a leisurely 210m/s.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/krxpa4ppdsf88ch/F-Tech CAL-4.craft?dl=0

Somehow.  That looks like a missle to me.

Edited by Cabbink
Stupid autocorrect

KPE SSP-1a/b Phoenix

https://imgur.com/IQrekIG.png

SSP-1b on left, SSP-1a on the right.

KPE is proud to announce the SSP-1a/b nicknamed the Phoenix(We scientists take pride in our nicknaming skills...)! Both variants are high performance, supersonic, passenger jet featuring the latest in comforts, including a full bar on board with 2 sets of restrooms.

Specifications:

Class: Small-Medium(?) Supersonic Jet

Cruising Altitude: 18000-22000 meters

Cruising Speed: 1200m/s

Range: SSP-1a has a range of around 9400km at 20km, testing shows it can circumnavigate Kerbin twice

SSP-1b has a range of around 6300km at 20km

These values are recorded once the plane has reached cruising altitude, assuming 600kgals has been used to reach cruising altitude.

Passengers: SSP-1a: 2 pilots, 48 passengers

SSP-1b: 2 pilots, 74 passengers

Fuel Burn: Depends, generally around 0.44kgal at cruise.

Cost: :funds:41,947,000

Both planes have good maneuverability, especially under 200m/s, and are able to takeoff around 60-70m/s, and lands 50-60m/s. Due to it's dual Whiplash engines, passengers enjoy a view of plasma licking their windows as they view the curvature of Kerbin. It can be useful in places such as the Island Strip as well, due to it's high deceleration and acceleration. It has 4 speedbrakes, allowing it to pull off maneuvers such as the Nose Dive (Seen below). Due to it's short wheelbase as well, the plane has high maneuverability on the ground as well, allowing it to get around tight spaces. The two pilots also get a birds eye view around them as they taxi, allowing them to potentially spot things over other planes if need be.

Operation:

Action Groups: "1" enables all 4 speedbrakes. DO NOT USE FOR LANDING. The bottom 2 speedbrakes will be damaged heavily by the ground.

Brakes: The brakes do not enable the bottom 2 speedbrakes, this is normal, as otherwise they will be damaged by the ground.

Getting up to cruising Altitude: When taking off, speed up to about 200m/s before pitching up to around 25-30 degrees. When you reach 12km, start to slowly pitch forward until level at 15km. If you reach 800m/s before leveling out, continue climbing at current pitch angle until you reach cruising altitude and speed.

Craft Files: SSP-1a: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am-Klu4h5TIdl4RX1SWbJndnEHWhRw  SSP-1b: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am-Klu4h5TIdl4RYNPQZJb5z0G4Lfg

Edited by 1Revenger1
Images broke for some reason, just put in links

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.