Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

AVRO Aerospace is pleased to present our turboprop plane for consideration, as well as the cargo variant to illustrate the flexibility of the airframe and plane design:

The AVRO Prop-Star and it's cargo variant.

hsb6PIT.pngIKV7ejc.png

Each plane is compact and powerful thanks to it's twin turboprop design. The passenger Prop-Star is a lightweight 24 passenger plane with excellent flight characteristics and fuel economy. With it's 3000 metre cruise ceiling (5000 max) and 160 m/s top speed at 3000 metres ASL it's capable of flying non-stop to the south pole with fuel to spare for a comfortable landing, thanks in part to it's automatic flap system and 5 landing trucks. Each plane demonstrated a fuel consumption no greater than 0.03 units of fuel per second at 3000 metres at its rated 160 m/s velocity.

Each plane has high aspect wing profiles for optimum lift and drag performance. Fuel is stored in the wings right under the centre of gravity for consistent flying.

The planes can demonstrate STOL capability, with a minimum take off speed of 45, landing at 50 (safely) and able to maintain a 65 degree of ascent up to 2000 metres. With a skilled pilot you can reach 3000 metres in less than 90 seconds from 0 m/s on the runway if needed. (recommended for the cargo variant. Passengers may not like that degree of ascent). Thanks to it's 5 Krembo disc brake system the plane can stop from 50m/s to 0 in just under 20 seconds.

The cargo variant is a svelte 5 tonnes wet, has at least 5 tonnes of cargo capacity, and a triple door system so loading and unloading of cargo will be fast, safe and efficient.

Z3HC1By.png

The Prop-Star cargo variant can be used for commercial cargo, Search and Rescue, military and scientific, Kerbalitarian relief as well as a excellent plane to be used for parachute training (rear door only) with no chance of skydivers hitting any flight surfaces thanks to it's high tail wing design.

The Prop-Star is that versatile of aircraft!

We at AVRO believe that performance, flexibility, and comfort should come at a reasonable price. We understand that the cost of the plane is somewhat high for a twin turboprop plane, but with a low part count, ease of maintenance, exceptional fuel economy, range, and less cost/passenger for passenger flights, the increased profit margin will make up for the price tag. In conjunction with the Cargo Variant, it's ability to carry a decent amount of cargo without the fuel cost is equally attractive financially in the long run.

A 32 passenger version of the Prop-Star is in blueprint stage at the moment, thus unavailable at the moment. 

We thank you for your time, and please don't hesitate to inquire about the  Prop-Star line of light aircraft.

AVRO Prop-Star specifications

Weight: 8.4 tonnes
Size: H 4.1m / W 14.9m / L 11.2m
Top speed: 168 m/s under 500 metres ASL, 160 m/s at 3000 metres ASL
Cruise ceiling: 3000 metres
Peak ceiling: 5000 metres 
Recommended rate of climb: 20 m/s
Maximum Rate of climb: Variable, tested at 60 degrees ascent to 2000 metres without significant drop in speed
Max G rating: greater than 4G
Fuel comsumption: 0.9 Peak, typically 0.03 at cruising speed.
Fuel capacity: 300 units
Recommended cruising speed: Variable, typically between 150 and 160 m/s.
Range: 1600 km theoretical according to approved calculations
Cost per unit: 17,904,000 per plane. Cost can be adjusted for orders greater than 5 

AVRO Prop-Star Cargo specifications
Weight: 5.7 tonnes
Size: Same as passenger model
Top speed: 169 m/s under 500 metres ASL, 161 at 3000 metres ASL
Cruise ceiling: 3300 metres
Peak ceiling: 5200 metres
Recommended rate of climb: 25 m/s
Maximum rate of climb: Variable, Tested at 80 degrees ascent to 2000 metres without significant drop in speed
Max G rating: Greater than 4.5G
Fuel consumption: Same as Passenger model
Fuel capacity: Same as Passenger model
Recommended cruising speed: Same as Passenger model
Range: 1610 km theoretical according to approved calculations
Cost per unit: 18,504,000 per plane. Cost can be adjusted for orders greater than 5

Links: (Prop-Star Passenger)https://kerbalx.com/GDJ/AVRO-Prop-Star
            (Prop-Star Cargo) https://kerbalx.com/GDJ/AVRO-Prop-Star-Cargo-Variant

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TAKE-OFF instructions

Since the flaps are automatically tied to the gear, the take-off and landing processes are simplified.

TAKE-OFF (both planes):

1) Full throttle upon flight clearance
2) Accelerate to 25 m/s
3) Pitch up. Plane will lift off at around 45 m/s (dependant on total plane mass of course)
4) When airborne, at 60m/s velocity retract landing gear. Flaps will retract automatically, and the pilot is free to plot a course upon exiting KSC airspace.

LANDING (both planes, paved)
1) Begin descent (typically 10 km from landing area)
2) Cut throttle to 1/4
3) At 2 km from landing strip you should be at an altitude approximately 250m higher than landing area.
4) Deploy landing gear and flaps. Your speed should be under 120 m/s at this point.
5) Adjust throttle to maintain 65 m/s (approximately)
6) When appropriate, cut throttle and glide down to landing area (around 50 metres above landing surface), descending no greater than 8 m/s. The gentler the better (of course. Passengers get upset easily). Landing should not need more than 50 m/s forward velocity.
7) Upon tarmac contact, apply brakes until plane has stopped fully.

LANDING (rough area).

Same as above instructions generally, but circle the area first to assess hazards, terrain, etc.

Edited by GDJ
Fixed links. Sorry about that folks. Also erred on the fuel capacity. It's 300 units. The range will increase proportionately.

Back again with another stupid Supersonic Scream Machine.

Kramer SSTP-2000 Starmachine

iaGe85H.png

FKjdKPf.png

Cost: :funds:180,909,000

Dimensions (L/W/H): 39.3m / 22.8m / 6.6m

Weight: 148.88 Tonnes

Range: 1+ kerbin circumnavigations (calculated rage of 8373 km)

Capacity: 284 Kerbals

Cruising Altitude: Between 17500 and 18000 m

Cruising Speed: 1350 to 1400 m/s

Purchase Link: https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/SSTP-2000-Starmachine

Marketing and Finances decided for this aircraft not to name it after some dead dude and instead after an awesome song they heard on the YouTubes. It is the bigger brother of the 'Benirschke', another screaming fast SSTP utilizing the same engines, only more of them, and again located in easily accessible pods. Both of these factors reduce training fo maintenance and pilots, as it is effectively a bigger 'Benirschke'. This time however, the engines are over the wing. It's thought to maybe reduce noise levels from the engine, deflecting it up instead of down towards the ground. It probably wouldn't matter though as it cruises at 1400m/s at 17800 to 18000m altitude, similar to its smaller brother. All 284 passengers (yes, capable of hauling Jumbo Jet Plus categories of people) and 3 pilots are housed in the thermos flask High-tech heat retardant fuselage to prevent over heating, reducing flight training and apparently, heart attacks. This has the unfortunate effect of killing all window space. Not to worry, as the windows are now replaced with UHD TV's! Which can display the outside world or favorite films such as Wonder Kerbette, Kapollo 13, and Kavengers. The fuselage also utilizes quantum-kerbal storage technology. This unfortunately places some of the kerbals in this pseudo-prototype at a bit of an angle. However, Engineering is sure that this could be fixed by sitting on the floor, or rotating the cabins. Fuel is stored in the large wings to help with packing, as well as in the engine nacelles, not under the passengers. That would be unsafe. Carrying 12,560 kallons of fuel, it is plenty for a Kerbin circumnavigation, which it completes in roughly the same amount of time as its smaller slightly faster brother. Other safety features include a reduced take off speed (closer to 60 m/s instead of 80) and drogue chutes, as well as speed brakes, and effective ditching on water.

caWteTr.png

Can also self disassemble. Not covered by warranty, and Customer service will say [Redacted] if you complain about this. Or mail you some krap in the mail. I'm not sure.

Instructions for use: (You may need to timewarp quickly to get minor issues figured out.. 1.3 doesn't like fairings...)Toggle flaps with AG1. Gun it and nose up, careful not to hit the ground. Point in direction of intended travel and climb to cruising altitude at 25 to 35 degrees. At cruising altitude, level off and activate any autopilot if necessary. Highly recommended BTW. Also probably a good idea to not use autopilot for directional changes. For landing, drogue chutes are included as well as speed brakes, activated by AG2. Useful for landing. Try to get onto the ground before 40 m/s.

Daxworks Lightning Cruiser

8dpDyIi.png

The Daxworks Lightning Cruiser is the fastest goddamn airplane in it's class (supersonic). With a maximum cruising speed of Mach 4, your passengers can meet those tough deadlines while traveling in luxury. Unlike other supersonic aircraft, the Lightning Cruiser has a large, aerodynamically efficient wing that reduces landing speeds and provides plenty of lift for low-speed maneuvering. Additionally, the Lightning Cruiser is equipped with best-in-class safety features, including ejector seats for all passengers and crew, complimentary barf bags, emergency parachute for short landings, and water landing capability. While the Lightning Cruiser is somewhat more expensive than the competitor's aircraft, it offers unparalleled safety and performance. No other aircraft comes close. An ER variant is also available. Now taking pre-orders for delivery in Q2 2018!

Disclaimer: Parachutes for ejector seats sold separately. Warranty does not cover water damage.

Specifications

Maximum Cruising Speed: 1350m/s (1250m/s ER)

Range: 1900km (3900km ER)

Cruising Altitude: 18km (19km ER)

Takeoff/Landing Speed: 60m/s

MTOW: 25721kg (30221kg ER)

Fuel Capacity: 1030kal (1830kal ER)

Passenger Capacity: 40

Price: Lightning Cruiser $57,225,000

Lighning Cruiser ER  $58,325,000

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fljzwkmnspt77bs/AAD3AZsc3gcbLHiJ6SC5Uo4Ka?dl=0

Fe2gVSj.png

N4nJiEY.png

ToUv6Cq.png

csLzd2O.png

or3eRx5.png

pKEyYQ1.png

FMY4iw8.png

2ttGgRS.png

oGXJIp4.png

3zDw2Vn.png

5X2MXsq.png

Edited by Jimbimbibble

5 minutes ago, Jimbimbibble said:

fastest goddamn airplane in it's class (supersonic)

Fact check, my smaller supersonic aircraft does 1450 m/s. Ha.

All in friendly jest, of course.

Neat plane though. Much cheaper than mine.

Just now, Jimbimbibble said:

Thanks!

Mine can do 1430m/s...until it explodes. 

Mine almost melts at that speed. I actually fan into that problem with an earlier iteration of my plane as well. I've found it effective to use fairings as the heat bearing point. Can withstand more heat. Then, for a cockpit, I can clip something into the fuselage or in such a way to prevent exploding

31 minutes ago, Jimbimbibble said:

Thanks!

Mine can do 1430m/s...until it explodes. 

54 minutes ago, qzgy said:

What is wrong with you all? i can accelerate a craft to Mach 100+ without engines or using any cheats. of course, i need lots of fairings to protect that. and a decoupler. good luck beating that.

Just now, Cabbink said:

What is wrong with you all? i can accelerate a craft to Mach 100+ without engines or using any cheats. of course, i need lots of fairings to protect that. and a decoupler. good luck beating that.

Ahh, but can it cruise there?

3 hours ago, qzgy said:

Pfft. 1550m/s for mine.

(All in good jest, once again) :wink: 

1550 seems to be about the limit, though. Attempts to get a stable cruise above that usually end in the plane breaking apart and exploding due to g-forces, or exploding and breaking apart due to overheating. :P 

The brave kerbals of the ISSJ Test Program will forever be remembered... no, we're kidding, we forgot where we buried them.

On 10/12/2017 at 12:27 AM, TheEpicSquared said:

Pfft. 1550m/s for mine.

(All in good jest, once again) :wink: 

1550 seems to be about the limit, though. Attempts to get a stable cruise above that usually end in the plane breaking apart and exploding due to g-forces, or exploding and breaking apart due to overheating. :P 

The brave kerbals of the ISSJ Test Program will forever be remembered... no, we're kidding, we forgot where we buried them.

It's simple. They are on bop.

Pigeon Aerospace is proud to present the Rapid 1-100 and Rapid 1-200! Both are in the supersonic categories.

https://imgur.com/6o9hseh.jpg

With a top speed of 1000m/s with afterburners but still managing 640m/s without afterburners. It has a takeoff speed of 60m/s. Two airbrakes help stop the craft from supersonic speed. It has a small price tag of 29,101,000:funds:! It has a theoretic warranty void if aircraft is flown this far  range of 11,975km. It has a capacity of 40 pax. It has a part count of 33 with two of the three engines near the ground. The aircraft can be used for acrobatics although a bit sluggish compared to jets. It cruises at a low 1000m.

Rapid 1-100

Mass: 19t

Cost: 29,101,000:funds: (including fuel)

Range: 11,975km

Parts: 33

Engines: 3

Cruising altitude: 1000

Cruising speed: 640m/s

Max speed: 1000m/s

Max altitude: 12000m

Fuel: 1200 units

https://imgur.com/AaHIDad.jpg

Download: https://kerbalx.com/Pigeon11/Rapid-1-100

The big brother of the -100, the Rapid 1-200 has 3600 units of fuel. It costs 49,361,000:funds:. But, the cost is justified with a capacity of 56 kerbals and a range of 55,958km. Like the -100, the -200 doesn't feature flaps as the prevent the aircraft from taking off. The aircraft has two more airbrakes than the -100.

Rapid 1-200

Mass: 38.4t

Cost: 49,361,000:funds: (including fuel)

Range: 55,958km

Parts: 55

Engines: 5

Cruising altitude: 1000m/s

Cruising speed: 620m/s

Max speed: 1000m/s

Max altitude: 12000

Fuel: 3600 units

Download: https://kerbalx.com/Pigeon11/Rapid-1-200

Edited by SpacePigeon

25 minutes ago, no_intelligence said:

I hope and think so! But sadly @Mjp1050 didnt review a craft recently... Anyway it is a hell of a lot of planes in here and a lot of work to review everything in the good quality the last reviews have been.

Yes, Mjp1050 will be busy for some time. That's why I only put in my one plane.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:17 PM, Mjp1050 said:

For all categories, Range will be calculated by fuel capacity / burn rate * speed / 1000m at the recommended cruising speed & altitude.

In what order does this go in? Whenever I try this with my aircraft, it either gives me something really high or really low.

5 hours ago, nerdgamer2662 said:

In what order does this go in? Whenever I try this with my aircraft, it either gives me something really high or really low.

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Here is the method I use:

Divide the fuel capacity of your plane with the burn rate. (both are in the top right corner in the resource tab) This will give you the number of seconds your plane can fly for. Then times that number with your speed, and you will get the number of metres your plane can fly. Then divide that by a thousand and you get it in kilometres, and that’s your final number.

Hope it helps!

Nice Challenge Mjp1050! I like me some airplanes!

For the first submission  by Skaled Komposites I would like to present the SkiKull:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddq7f9wj6t51dv6/SkiKull.zip?dl=0 (link contains more screenshots and craft file)

The SkiKull, the latest and probably last aircraft design by the legendary Kurt Kutan can easily touchdown on land or water. Simply deploy the flaps, drop to an altitude of about 100m above the surface and level out until the speed drops below 50m/s, drop the landing gear, activate the brakes and gently touchdown on whatever flat surface you like. Comfortably seats 16 Kerbals en route to any destination up to about 1500km from take-off. Flies with and without SAS activated and, for safety reasons, has a light tendency to pitch up, at high speeds and low altitudes it rises even when flown perfectly level, though this may be less fuel efficient. Whether full or emtpy, the SkiKull flies exactly the same way and does not suffer from deteriorated handling when either full, empty or anywhere in between. and on top of that, it's a bargain. With 59 parts and just the one engine maintenance is not going to break the bank either. For all your water landing needs, the SkiKull is the go to aircraft to transport small crews at short ranges.

bqyujqN.jpg

Specs:

Production cost: $31,191,000

Seats 16 Kerbals + 2 Pilots

Takes off from land or water at just under 40m/s

Cruises at about 120 m/s at an altitude of 8000m

Contains up to 660 Kallons of fuel

Fuel consumption below 0.06 Kallons/sec at cruising altitude.