Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

Test Pilot Review: @sdj64's Cobalt Air - Goosewing 80

ytAsOmJ.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:32.341.000
  • Fuel: 1200 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 235m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 8000m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.16kal/s
  • Range:  1700km

Review Notes:

The Goosewing 80 is a very attractive looking medium regional jet. Featuring smooth lines and a futuristic look, it's an absolute joy to look at. And you know what, it's not just a joy to look at... The maneuverability is excellent in pretty much every way, the plane handles like an absolute dream, the structure is solid which means that even at high G forces, the plane stays in one piece. Pitch, yaw and roll control are all good, very easy to use, we don't expect pilot training to be intensive at all, a toddler can pretty much fly this plane, it's so well balanced. It has to be noted though that at cruise altitude and speed, the plane needs to pitch up about 5 degrees to stop itself from losing altitude, causing more drag. We also weren't capable of making the 245m/s top speed that was in the brochure, rather 235m/s, only 5m/s slower than the requirement, but still worth noting. Fuel usage at this altitude was 0.16kal/s which is fairly good, this gives us a range of roughly 1700km, as noted, flying at 220m/s, the plane has a burn rate of 0.13, which stretched the range to just over 2000km. There is however an empty fuel tank in the plane, filling this up gives us 1380 fuel, which means that even at 235m/s the plane would be capable of reaching the extended range target.

Comfort is where the plane lets us down a bit. While the flight itself is very smooth, the rear mounted engines are bolted directly to the cabins, making for quite a lot of noise and vibrations, which is a bit sad given how well the plane performs in all other categories. However, with 80 passengers on board, more than the requirements, noise on board is already expected to be a bit high, we're pretty sure that the sound of the engines will be outdone be screaming babies.

Price is very reasonable at :funds:32.341.000, same goes for the part count of 56, we don't expect to need a lot of maintenance on the plane though, it looks and feels very well built.

The Verdict:

The Goosewing 80 is an absolute delight to fly, makes the range target (and with some adding of fuel or changing of speed even the extended range target) and it looks very good. All this comes in a reasonably priced package of :funds:32.341.000. Sadly the plane does let down when it comes to comfort. We really can't see a reason why that would be a big enough reason not to acquire the plane, it's just that good. Ordering 10 Goosewing 80's for medium-haul lines.

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Ha. No.

Hide contents

VrKsVBB.jpg

cR19QmD.png

A2gBpI6.png

FC8VvJz.png

10 meter whiplashes.

Consider yourself oneupped.

I'VE BEEN 2 UPPED!! wait... 10 meters? what the what? That's just shocking! The way you did the cockpit is hilarious.... Its like a pair of eyes sticking out of a wall.

Edited by TheMadKraken2297

I don't hate the stock aero anymore, so I made a plane.

Entering the "Medium Regional Jet" category is the 100% stock Kerbalespace™ C-1K (or C-1000), with a range of over 2000 km, a cruising speed of just 240 m/s and a passenger capacity of 120 Kerbals.

sXjmRMN.png

It is a standard airliner, priced at a competitive $210 million. For that amount you get the ability to move 120 Kerbals and 4 crew members up to 2200 km away (extendable to 2700 km when filling the wings, empty by default) at a cruising speed of 240 m/s flying 5000 m over the ground. Despite its high purchasing cost, it is fairly cheap to operate (maintenance is not covered by the standard revenue insurance) when full: a full range flight burns $3,136,000 worth of fuel, averaging $12 per passenger and per kilometre. [NB: our accounting dept reminded us that this is actually more expensive than pretty much every means of transportation ever, please remember to remove this part from the sales pitch]. Considering these numbers, Kerbalespace™ recommends operating the C-1K at its highest capacity on busy routes to make the most out of its large seating and economic fly costs.
On the options side, it features fully functional cabin lights for all passengers (action group 3), thrust reversers on all 4 engines in case your pilots overshoot the runway a bit (action group 2), flaps providing additional lift for shorter take-offs (action group 1) [NB: our engineering dept reminded us that the flaps don't actually work, please remember to remove this part from the sales pitch] and a state-of-the-art cabin insulation technology based on gold sheets, more than justifying the cost of the cabin segments.
Out test pilots were genuinely impressed by its handling once they understood that they weren't flying an aerobatic aircraft (and stopped trying to do loops) and were reminded that their paychecks were proportional to its handling score. The four J-33 Wheelsey engines provide more than enough power to bring the plane in the air at its cruising altitude and its max cruising speed of 240 m/s, with the added benefit of redundancy in the very unlikely case of an engine failure (engine failures and related matters should be brought to C7 Aerospace; Kerbalespace™ will not be held accountable for any performance and passengers loss when attempting to fly a C-1K aircraft with less than four fully functional engines) ensuring continued safe operation of the aircraft. The more than reasonable simplicity of the C-1K (82 parts) ensures cheap and simple maintenance providing an excellent turnover time reducing the operation costs even further, with our test engineers reporting only minor defects following extensive test flights totalling more than 2 flight hours.

For all these reasons, it is with pride and honour that Kerbalespace™ presents its latest product: the C-1K airliner. We believe that our clients deserve only the highest quality and we have been working countless hours to make sure that your expectations are not only fulfilled but exceeded in every aspects. The C-1K represents the fruit of Kerbalespace™'s effort and the incarnation of this policy, designed and built to guarantee that you will be satisfied by our aircraft. Should you have any complaints, Kerbalespace™ will gladly refund you the full cost of your purchase (Kerbalespace™ will not be held accountable for performance lower than advertised; all purchases are definitive and non-refundable; by signing the acquisition contract the consumer agrees to be the sole responsible for the operation, maintenance and support of the C-1K aircraft).

C-1K data sheet:

Spoiler

Vc:               240 m/s
Vto:              65 m/s
SC:               5000 m
RoC:              15 m/s, 10 m/s @ 4000+ m
Range:            over 2000 km
Fuel burn rate:   0.42 per sec cruising
Fuel capacity:    3920 (19.6 t)
                  5120 (25.6 t) with wings full
Thurst:           480 kN
Dry mass:         56.295 t
T-O mass:         75.895 t
MTOW:             82 t
Dimensions (LWH): 33x31.1x10.6 m
Part count:       82
Seating:          120 + 4 crew members

Cost:             $209,057,000
Wet cost:         $212,193,000

AG1: flaps (don't work)
AG2: thrust reversers
AG3: cabin lights

Additional pictures:

Spoiler

R17GQuD.png

Wly4UK7.png

bf61SxC.png

C-1K download link

Test Pilot Review: @Samwise Potato's Spud Flight - SF-A116 "Tulip"

BJa9lQn.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:17.634.000
  • Fuel: 250 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 160m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 3000m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.05kal/s
  • Range:  800km

Review Notes:

The Tulip is about as cute as planes come, it's small,  chubby and looks a bit silly. As far as performance goes however, silly is absolutely not a fitting word. This plane flies and behaves absolutely wonderfully. Maneuverability is very nice, the plane rolls well, yaw control is good and pitch control is excellent, total package adds up to a plane that can maneuver in very tight space with ease. Take-off speed was described as being around 42m/s, but we were easily capable of getting airborne at speeds as low as 35m/s, acceleration isn't the best though, but all in all it should still be possible to take off from very short runways. Landing is an absolute joy as well, the small airbrakes do a formidable job slowing the aircraft down, and the small engine has a thrust reverser which makes for even shorter landings. The plane does lose quite a lot of speed on extended maneuvers which means you have to take car for stalls in such situations.

Comfort is quite good as well. Obviously the inline engine makes for some vibrations, but there's some buffering between the engine and the cabins which absorbs a lot of the sounds and vibrations, making for a smooth ride. If I really have to nitpick, I'd say it's a bit sad that the broad wing was placed directly under the windows, as it makes for rather disappointing views, but that's not really anything important. Thanks to the high hull, the water landings are always very soft, causing pretty much no discomfort to the passengers at all.

The price of :funds:17.634.000 might actually seem a high for a plane of this size and capabilities (even though they are very good for the class), but if this competition has surprised me in any way, then it's the average pricing of seaplanes. This price is in fact very nice for a seaplane. Part count of 42 is a bit high, but we don't foresee having a lot of maintenance on these planes as all critical components stay well above the waterline at all times.

The Verdict:

Flies like a dream, good range of 800km, smooth ride and cute looks. This plane is what seaplane dreams are made off, and all that at a nice price. Consider us in love with this design. We'd like to order 12 for use on various lines, these little planes should be capable of providing access to even the most remote mountain lakes that no other craft can reach.

44 minutes ago, TheMadKraken2297 said:

Ok, so I had an idea to use the heli chopper rotors from airplane plus to make a VTOL, As that mod is allowed. Would that be a turboprob?

I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed, as long as it flies like an actual plane. 

21 minutes ago, RedPandaz said:

Why no rocket engines? :P

Can we suggest 2-3 catagories if our aircraft could do well in any?

Rocket fuel is a bit over our budget I'm afraid. Planes get judged in the highest category they fit in, we can hardly judge a jumbo jet as a small regional jet you know... 

2 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed, as long as it flies like an actual plane. 

Rocket fuel is a bit over our budget I'm afraid. Planes get judged in the highest category they fit in, we can hardly judge a jumbo jet as a small regional jet you know... 

I made a rocket plane that flew for 4500km in less than 15 min, powered by a Mammoth rocket engine D:

Andetch Type HSKT "Night Fury" (EL)

Hypersonic Passenger Jet

The latest in hypersonic passenger travel, brought to you by Andetch Industries.

blW1n8w.png

Vital Stats

• Dual Pilots.
  • Minimum Takeoff speed >80 m/s fully laden*
  • Cruise altitude 20,000 - 24,000 metres.
  • Cruise Speed 1,100m/s - 1,250 m/s
  • Minimum landing speed 40m/s
  • 50 G tolerant.
  • Maximum 64 and 78 seater variants.
  • 3,000 - 4,000km + range *
  • Under :funds:90M delivered to your hub airport!

You all know Kerbals love going fast, right? Andetch has the latest in Hypersonic Passenger Jets. We are proud to introduce you to the Type HSKT (HyperSonic Kerbal Transport). Handling characteristics are exactly what you would expect from Andetch, fast,responsive, forgiving. Yes, she is capable of extreme handling, but if you spin out she will forgive - perfect for thrill seeking passengers! Tested to the extremes in handling, even a rookie can feel like a top gun pro!

Three variants ensure all requirements are exceeded, Andetch style. There are three interior designs per variant, allowing a maximum of 64/78 and above passenger numbers, but we recommend the full luxury 32/39 seat, finished with all the opulence a Kerbal King would be happy with! In flight entertainment will be tailored to the individual airline requirements. For more info contact our kerbal x hangar today!

Type HSKT:https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Andetch-Type-HSKT-Night-Fury

Type HSKT-EL:https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Andetch-Type-HSKT-Night-Fury-EL

Type HSKT-ELX https://kerbalx.com/Andetch/Andetch-Type-HSKT-Night-Fury-ELX

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/f8wjF

bwarFvm.png

* note to judges. I tested the range to a true 1,500 ground distance covered. Not sure if I got the maths correct in  calculating the range in line with the rules?  I also note she is not quite hypersonic, however she does exceed speed requirements by a factor of above 3.5

edit. Yeah, dumbass checked the maths again for range and corrected. 29/nov/17 

*pictured is the prototype aircraft. The released version has 100 extra LF and some nuclear generators for ground electricity.

*Take-offspeed quoted is for the basic model only.

Enjoy your flight!

Edited by Andetch
Added ELX variant.

Test Pilot Review: @Samwise Potato's Spud Flight -  SF-J240 "Daisy"

fMeY7mX.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:20,204,000
  • Fuel: 800 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 243m/s, 550ish at supersonic (We lost our figures for this unfortunately)
  • Cruising altitude: 7000m, 9000m supersonic
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.09kal/s, 0.14kal/s at supersonic
  • Range:  1828km, 3360km at supersonic

Notes:
We were somewhat surprised to see a supersonic plane entered that only had Wheesley engines, due to their lack of power at higher speeds. Although with two of them, they were easily able to get this past mach 1 at around 7k, allowing us to climb to 9k while still gradually speeding up. The engine placement also provides good comfort to the passengers, if maybe blocking the view a bit of the scene below. It also flies very well at lower speeds, with a lot more rudder control we were expecting (Although we normally don't add enough rudder control on our aircraft so it might be a normal amount of rudder), good amount of roll and pitch authority to. We had no troubles controlling the aircraft especially at slower speeds. Speaking of slower speeds...it takes offs and lands at really slow speeds. We usually got it off the ground before 45m/s, and due to the 2 large wheesley engines, it quickly sped up to that no problem. This aircraft could easily be used in smaller airports with tiny runways due to this, as will as the reverse thrust ability of the wheesleys.

There are a couple shortcomings though. One of them is that under Stability Assist, the elevators shake like mad, vibrating the whole frame and causing havoc in the cabin. This was most noticeable at supersonic cruise, although somewhat noticeable during subsonic cruise as well. We were confused as to why this was happening, as the aircraft would oscillate. This only occurred at cruise from what we found though, and wasn't noticeable at slower speeds. We also had some control issues with the elevator during takeoff, as the pilots would easily smash the tail into the ground at around 30m/s with just a little elevator input. This is easily fixed though with some pilot training though so we aren't worried about that, especially when it takes off so easily at around 40m/s.

The Verdict:

We will buy 10 of these for some shorter flights where the aircraft won't be at cruise speed as much. Due to it's maneuverability and high performance, it easily could fit into smaller airports but it's shaking at cruise speeds doesn't make it good for commuter flights in and out of airports on medium range flights.

Spoiler

tBEJP4k.png

Been working on this way to much...Can circumnavigate kerbin and carries 300+ kerbals at 1200m/s...and I'm not even entering it.

Important Update from Andetch

RE: Type HSKT/HSKT-EL

Someone in our sales department has informed the engineers that the maximum required lift-off speed was lower than what we stated the HSKT capable of.

Please note, we have made some minor aerodynamic changes, and updated them into the Kerbal X showroom. Please note that the new minimum lift-off speed for HSKT is now >80m/s. You must withdraw the flaps immediately after lift-off with action key 1.

The HSKT-EL will still require slightly more liftoff speed, but we know (hope) that due to the rate of acceleration, it is capable of hitting this speed on small runways.

We also have taken some videos of her being put through her paces by Andetch Test Pilots.

Thank You.

(AS per 14:18 28/NOV/17 UTC KerbalX files are correct - sorry for being a dumbass and uploading the wrong one!)

ayOmwbe.png

Edited by Andetch
Added ELX Full Video

I have no idea where you've picked up shaking elevators from @1Revenger1, do you have a mod that changes the aerodynamic modeling or something?

I can make a video for you if you want, but all the control surfaces are perfectly steady at subsonic or supersonic cruise.

Your fuel burn rate rate numbers for supersonic cruise are higher than they should be as well (probably because you were cruising at 9 instead of 9.5 like recommended), and the only way to smash the tail into the ground at ~30 m/s is to go full pitch up and hold it. I could add a strike-stopper if you're having trouble with that, I suppose.

Edited by Samwise Potato
format

2 minutes ago, Samwise Potato said:

I have no idea where you've picked up shaking elevators from @1Revenger1, do you have a mod that changes the aerodynamic modeling or something?

I can make a video for you if you want, but all the control surfaces are perfectly steady at subsonic or supersonic cruise.

Your fuel burn rate rate numbers for supersonic cruise are higher than they should be as well (probably because you were cruising at 9 instead of 9.5 like recommended), and the only way to smash the tail into the ground at ~30 m/s is to go full pitch up and hold it. I could add a strike-stopper if you're having trouble with that, I suppose.

Nothing that should change aerodynamics unfortunately. I am running EVE but that's all visual stuff. The smashing the tail into the ground is not that big of a deal, it's just me being dumb and being used to pulling up asap.I can try the cruise at 9.5 as well and update the review if you want

7 minutes ago, Samwise Potato said:

Hang onto that thought for a minute, I'll film a test flight and show you what the control surfaces look like on my end.

Here is what it looks like from my end (Note: For the review I did not fly it like this, I flew a bit higher and stuff and climbed more gently. No pulling up roughly at 270m/s at 1k :P).

9 minutes ago, Samwise Potato said:

Maybe we could get someone else to try it? Could be something weird about the file uploaded on KerbalX.

Can whoever reads this grab a copy of https://kerbalx.com/SamwisePotato/SF-J240-Daisy and see if does the weird shaking thing for you too?

Give me 2 minutes...

Edit: Can confirm oscillation.

Edit Deux: Can confirm oscillation stopped by autostrutting everything. May want to check that. After autostrutting everything the oscillation does not appear. Check if you have stuff autostrutted in your version. (might as well tag @1Revenger1 just to see)

Edited by qzgy

11 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Give me 2 minutes...

Edit: Can confirm oscillation.

Edit Deux: Can confirm oscillation stopped by autostrutting everything. May want to check that. After autostrutting everything the oscillation does not appear. Check if you have stuff autostrutted in your version. (might as well tag @1Revenger1 just to see)

1 minute ago, Samwise Potato said:

Right, so the file on KerbalX is buggered up. I'll rebuild the plane from the ground up just to be sure, then re-upload. Give me ~30 minutes @1Revenger1

I'll throw in a strike-stopper and we can call it a variant.

Alright, I do have the advanced tweakables on. Does the advanced tweakables stuff actually get saved in craft files?

Just now, 1Revenger1 said:

Alright, I do have the advanced tweakables on. Does the advanced tweakables stuff actually get saved in craft files?

Should be.

Other wise maybe 80% of my craft fall apart....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.