Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

To add more on what they have said, it's a very random process. I review mostly planes that aren't supersonic, I try to do at least one a day.

7 hours ago, neistridlar said:

I think I speak for most of the reviewers when I say this, we review planes only when both time and inspirations strikes at the same time, so the reviews are somewhat sporadic. If you look at when the recently reviewed planes were submitted, that should give you a rough estimate.

I still think you should review the Sky Titanic since you recently reviewed the Habu Challenger, they were rivalled.

On 2/12/2018 at 6:14 AM, Spudmeist3r said:

After finding that the reader of the instructions for this challenge was dyslexic, we transferred him to Human Resources so he could do no more harm

Spudnik Space Aero Division Presents: The SSBJ-1111 "Ferret"

z5hhTHV.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/crafts/39791/undefined

We have fixed many of the problems surrounding the SSBJ-1001. This plane has many features including but not limited to: the impossibility of a turboprop jet, oxidizer tanks filled with extra snacks, and more! While it is a short range plane, it will definitely get the job done! And for cheaper than other aircraft in its class!

Price: just under :funds:30 million

Speed: at 7 km, 240 m/s

Passengers: 24

Notes: While it can take off at lower speeds, take off at 40 m/s or faster to avoid tail strikes; ignore floppy parts, they won't fall off.

By all means, tell me what to improve. We need ideas for the SSBJ-1112/2002

Download link is broken. @Spudmeist3r

On 2/12/2018 at 11:08 AM, Cantdesignrockets said:

Download link gives a 401 error. @Cantdesignrockets

On 3/13/2018 at 12:04 AM, Kebab Kerman said:

I want this too

And maybe SXT as well

No, we'll just end up adding more and more if we do this. I think the only excuse for a mod being included is that it has parts that fill a noticable hole stock. Like KAX's Mk 2 Tail boom.

Also, since there seems to be no supersonic jumbo jet aeroplanes, I decided to make my own.

GAI PRESENTS: THE GAI TUPOLEV

It's a low cost way to transport 168 kerbals really far, as in we went and took it all the way round Kerbin, odometer read 6018 km, and it has just over a quarter of the tank left. It did it in 56 minutes. It has 110 parts and costs $142,908,000 fueled, so it won't break the bank. We suggest flying at 17-19km, full throttle.

zFazEkq.png

https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/GAI-Tupolov

Edited by CrazyJebGuy
Adding download link.

Test Pilot Review: @Thor Wotansen's Fægir Industries Nomad

XsucsK0.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:25,806,000
  • Fuel: 1000 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 297 m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 4100 m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.14 kal/s
  • Range: 2100 km

Review Notes:

It promises to be a revolutionary STOL aircraft for small runways. We thought this might have been just marketing bluster, but then we went and took off as instructed, no. It's not marketing bluster, this thing takes off very quickly, in very short distances. It is very good at what it does. It does this with flaps, and very powerful engines. The pilot's view is very good, which is important on the sort of airfeild this plane aims to service.

The Nomad accelerates very quickly after climbing very quickly, we were at cruising speed speed amd height in 2 minutes, which impressed us greatly. It has no small speed to accelerate to either, the thing flies at about 300m/s on 60% throttle, which is very good and well above our requirements. In the air, it maneuvers very nicely, and with a practiced pilot could be fitting of an airshow, the training costs will be minimal.

In the event of being forced down, the Nomad performed admirably, and landed on the sea better than some sea-planes, and it can take off like a seaplane. So basically, this thing can take off and land anywhere except mountains and urban areas, which, as far as planes go, is really very good, we couldn't ask for better.

When we went for landing, it's possible to land in an even shorter space than it is to take off. We are quite impressed. The passenger comfort, the rear ones have some sound, but the views are mostly good and there are almost no vibrations, it's pretty good here.

It's fairly average on cost, a bit on the high side, but still pretty average, but it has 54 parts! The maintenance will be a bit expensive, but not overly so.

The Verdict:

It's very, very good, and extremely versatile. There is a lot of places that we can now service thanks to this thing, and so because no other planes can do it, it opens up a lot of possibility for profit, and so we'll buy 24.

1 hour ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Also, since there seems to be no supersonic jumbo jet aeroplanes, I decided to make my own.

Ah, but there is already a supersonic jumbo, cruising at 1,400 m/s carrying over 400 passengers :D

Although,  safety was a concern as was runway size needed.

24 minutes ago, Andetch said:

Ah, but there is already a supersonic jumbo, cruising at 1,400 m/s carrying over 400 passengers :D

Although,  safety was a concern as was runway size needed.

I kinda knew there was one, meant to mention I thought I was mistaken at that. Do you know whose it is?

9 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

I kinda knew there was one, meant to mention I thought I was mistaken at that. Do you know whose it is?

9 hours ago, Andetch said:

Yeah, mine :wink:

And the review is on the previous page, and there is the K-380 on page 34 as well. Oh well, the more the merrier right?

3 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

And the review is on the previous page, and there is the K-380 on page 34 as well. Oh well, the more the merrier right?

It seems the first post hasn't been modified in ages, so it doesn't show how many entries there actually have been!

4 hours ago, Andetch said:

It seems the first post hasn't been modified in ages, so it doesn't show how many entries there actually have been!

We don't really know eitherm our spreadsheet is only up to date to page 32, but that's fine since we aren't up to judging the thirties anyway.

4 hours ago, Andetch said:

Only the author of the thread can do that, and Mjp1050 has disappeared.

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Only the author of the thread can do that, and Mjp1050 has disappeared.

Well sorta. He's been here Monday, but hasn't actually checked on this challenge.

@Mjp1050?

5 hours ago, HamnavoePer said:

I built my zoomer as a cheap alternative to the Screchcraft Starship or whatever it was called, and am still waiting for it to be reviewed. Hint Hint

It's ear-marked by Panzerknoef, I don't know what's keeping him but it doesn't seem he's doing anything.

But you've waited a while, so if you submit a plane it'll be reviewed ASAP.

Edit: If he doesn't do it in a fortnight I'll assume he wont ever, so I'll review it myself.

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

10 minutes ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

It's ear-marked by Panzerknoef, I don't know what's keeping him but it doesn't seem he's doing anything.

But you've waited a while, so if you submit a plane it'll be reviewed ASAP.

Edit: If he doesn't do it in a fortnight I'll assume he wont ever, so I'll review it myself.

That sounds fair, maybe send @panzerknoef a PM to inform him. He might just have forgotten about it.

By the way, can we just pretend really long ranges aren't moot? I mean, anything with a range over 1900km can go from any point on Kerbin to any other without running out of fuel, which is quite a lot of planes, and thus why the reason for requiring Jumbo Jets to have a range of 4000? Makes it more interesting, and I would quite like the developement race (like we had with low cost Jumbos, and big jumbos) to get very good ranges. Maybe say any range above 18000km is moot, that's about ten times better as currently.

3 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

By the way, can we just pretend really long ranges aren't moot? I mean, anything with a range over 1900km can go from any point on Kerbin to any other without running out of fuel, which is quite a lot of planes, and thus why the reason for requiring Jumbo Jets to have a range of 4000? Makes it more interesting, and I would quite like the developement race (like we had with low cost Jumbos, and big jumbos) to get very good ranges. Maybe say any range above 18000km is moot, that's about ten times better as currently.

4000km of range kind of makes sense, if you go somewhere where there is no fuel, or very expensive fuel, you can go anywhere and back, with safety margins. Excessive range above that may be profitable if you can sell your fuel once you arrive. Anyways It will be a fun challenge. I wonder if there is a practical limit, I mean at some point when you add too much fuel you will have to add more wings and engines, which will negate the added fuel.

Hmm, if reviews are happening at a good pace again maybe I will be force to send in re-worked designs of my entries addressing the issues Kerbal Airlines expressed... For example, an arrow on the Chalduro design to indicate which way to point it, mounting engines onto "silencers" to reduce cabin noise, and that major bugbear - getting rid of the tendency to spin out of the sky from cruising altitude....

Test Pilot Review: @Andetch's Type HKT "Day Fury"

nUtBi1m.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price:  402,837,000
  • Fuel: 3,180 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 230m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 4600m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.57 kal/s
  • Range:  1280km

Review Notes:

There is a striking family resemblance between the Day fury and the Night fury. They both share the pointy, aggressive appearance, the long take off, and excessive control authority. In fact this plane it is just barely flyable. Look away for just a second, and you will find yourself tumbling toward the ground. Recoveries are possible, though they do require a good reserve of altitude. Now as for the landings, they are actually not as bad as the Night fury. Assuming you can tame this beast, it is possible to land as slow as 50m/s, though it takes the full concentration off at least three pilots. Sadly this plane only has two. This does suggest that the take of run could be shortened simply by redesigning the landing gear to allow it to rotate earlier though. Then there is the range. Now it is not uncommon for jumbo submissions to come in a little below our requirements of 4000km, however this is not only a little under, coming in at a mere 1280km..

Safety wise it's also very similar to its sibling. It is unable to ditch in water, however the lower landing speed makes emergency landings on land marginally safer. It is however prone to tipping over. Riding in the back of this plane is quite the loud experience as well, however in the front things are much better. The center Isle only has an upward view, however given the flight characteristics of this craft, they will probably get to see the ground a few times during the flight anyways, so that should not be a major complaint.

We are cannot help but be impressed by how little was accomplished by so much. It’s terribly expensive, now had it had some more luxurious passenger cabins we could have forgiven that price, but it doesn’t. And then there is the range, it has the range of a small regional jet! Not what we are looking for in a jumbo. The fuel economy is not terrible, but it is not good either, the same goes for maintenance. And then there is the pilot training required to fly this thing safely. It does seem to have an overabundance of electrical power though. Maybe it could be used as a mobile emergency power plant, if it survives the flight to its destination that is.

The Verdict:

We will be buying exactly ZERO of these planes, as it does not even remotely satisfy our range requirements, as well as the purchase price and the planes determination to not fly. However we think it might have potential as power station and suggests Andetch Industries remove all the aircraft bits and sell it as backup powerplants.

Edited by neistridlar
Forgot the title of the aircraft

I admit that one was hard to fly!

We have thought about your comments and are pleased to announce the formation of our new venture, Andetch Electrical Corporation, providing electrical power to a crash site near you!

(Yes, we also make the crash site!)

I'm sure there will be demand for crashed planes with loads of power somewhere on Kerbin!

Test Pilot Review: @kerbinorbiter's Kerbair K32-200

Erpm1h1.png

Figures as Tested:

• Price: :funds:58,010,000 wet
  • Fuel: 4780 kallons
  • Cruising speed: 231m/s
  • Cruising altitude: 5000 m
  • Fuel burn rate: 0.19 kal/s
  • Range: 5,800 km (~3800 miles)

Review Notes:

This plane is a refinement of a previous plane, which had problems with manueverability. They aimed to fix those problems, and the result takes off at 56m/s, although it should be noted that it has difficulty taxiing, because the CoM is behind the rear landing gear, so it will sit on it's tail. On takeoff it rights itself at about 20m/s, although it is possible to take off while having not once put the frontal landing gear on the ground, it really is a landing gear, because it certainly isn't for takeoff.

In the air, it behaves more or less as you would expect from a small regional jet, except it has a phenomenal range, it puts most jumbos and supersonic planes to shame. Any range that begins with a 5 is either really good or really bad, and this range certainly isn't bad. We were absolutely shocked, we calculated twice and got the same, very impressive answer, both times! Fkying with the throttle 3 notches off full, it is very efficient! Initially we wondered why they picked this engine, we absolutely see the point now! Very few planes can rival this one at range.

Unfortunately they absolutely can rival it on comfort, having a massive engine stuck right behind your head for a several hour flight is not a common idea of comfort, and they can also easily compete on price, with the price tag of 58 mill for a 48 passenger plane being a hefty one. Although maintenance is very cheap, only 29 parts.

The Verdict:

London new Kork, a very long route, currently we only fly a few large supersonics and Jumbos, with this, we can introduce economy. The high purchase cost will be offset by the low maintenance, and the fact that there is a lot of demand for economy on the route, and not much serves it. We will buy 12 of these.

Links:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/165372-kerbal-express-airlines-regional-jet-challenge-reboot/&do=findComment&comment=3258063

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/165372-kerbal-express-airlines-regional-jet-challenge-reboot/&do=findComment&comment=3257312

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.