Kerbal Express Airlines - Regional Jet Challenge (Reboot)

Mjp1050

I am learning so much by downloading contestant entries and flying the submissions.  Right now, I am fascinated by seaplanes.  I thought they were hokey, but did YOU realize that 50% of Kerbin's surface is perfectly flat (non-mountainous!) airport-capable!?

Well, I am test-flying the Katalina and its only two problems are a) looks (which I've never cared about) and b) the jitters at rest on its landing gear that prevent you from making a quick save.  To those interested, the solution is simple: raise the gear and sit it on its pontoons!  Embark/disembark; save state: no worries.  Raise the gear again when ready to go.  And, I notice, if you cycle the gear, no jitters!

Great work!  I now have an air/sea rescue for outlanders!

Edited by Hotel26

Presenting: The GAI Tin (As a floatplane, small mail plane and super-sonic)
ATrutrC.png

It is the most versatile flying thing you can buy for under $10,000,000. *Picture may differ slightly from actual plane*

Stats:
 -Price: $9,903,000 (Wet)      $9,263,000 (dry)
 -Range: 1,563km @ 345m/s low altitude
 -Speed: 650m/s (afterburning)
 It can take off from water if it after burns, as a result it can go near anywhere. It also has a completely un-obstructed cockpit view, and it handles nicely, making it a joy to fly. It is very cheap, even considering the mere 16 passengers, you could use it to access remote islands for rich tourists. You could use it as a private jet. You could use it to fly to small towns, you could use it as a flying ambulance, a cheap supplement to large routes that just need a little bit more, you could use it as a para-drop plane, a rescue plane or perhaps you could send it on expeditions to the arctic.

Download: https://bristolbrick.itch.io/ksp-aeroplanes-for-competition

Or: https://kerbalx.com/BristolBrick/Tin

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

FAR is not allowed and so far (see what I did there?) there is not a separate section for FAR. It changes the aerodynamics too much to be fair with the other submissions and none of the judges have FAR, so a plane made with it may perform differently in stock aerodynamics.

I'm afraid you'll have to remove FAR for now, but maybe we can get a separate FAR section set up, try asking around.

19 hours ago, TaRebelSheep said:

FAR is not allowed and so far (see what I did there?) there is not a separate section for FAR. It changes the aerodynamics too much to be fair with the other submissions and none of the judges have FAR, so a plane made with it may perform differently in stock aerodynamics.

I'm afraid you'll have to remove FAR for now, but maybe we can get a separate FAR section set up, try asking around.

Darn, my fleet uses FAR...

My newer ones use stock aero.

Edited by Joseph Kerman

WaffleTech Civilian Transportations, a branch of WaffleTech Industries, will help expand the fleet of KXA (Kerbal Express Airlines)

We have two good propositions for you:

Firstly, we have the WCT BJ-1:
wK9gtES.png

The WCT BJ-1 is your average, run-on-the-mill business jet, but with some major differences.

- Firstly, notice that there is a BIG-ASS INTAKE at the back. Not only does it serve to help the engine breathe, but has some extra fuel to extend the range.
    - Second, notice how I said 'engine'. Yes, this has not two, but one efficient engine. You can fly this at 66% throttle at 3 km ASL and still maintain a respectable speed while doing so. Doing this also increases fuel efficiency.
    - Third, notice those two odd-looking canards? They help balance the center of lift, allowing minimal trim adjustments mid-flight. By doing so, it reduces overall drag and improves control responsiveness.
    - Finally, you find that there is no passenger door. That is because everyone goes out from the cockpit hatch to reduce dead weight. To prevent unwanted take-offs, there is a special safety feature that prevents any unauthorized personnel to move the throttle handle.

So this is a nice jet with a reasonable price tag of 16,470,000:funds:, and trust us, this is the best business jet for it's price range.

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/WCT-BJ-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, we have the WCT IH-1:
JsKgcVD.png

The WCT IH-1 is a very short range aircraft that is unsuitable for all operations except for island hopping. It's impressive TWR at full throttle allows for STOL, and a very quick climb rate. However, full throttle operations will drain the fuel pretty quickly, and will reduce range to a point where you can't travel very far.

It is as expensive as the BJ-1, but not as economical, so I do not recommend purchase if there are no short-distance routes available.

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/WCT-IH-1

Edited by Joseph Kerman
These guys are not FAR planes...

I'd like to make an entry; presenting the Blasty Systems Fleet!!

5HtMtAU.png

clockwise from bottom left:

All planes share common features and construction techniques (T tails, ground level engines, etc..) to the delight of mechanics and dismay of parking attendants everywhere!

Passengers comfort is enhanced by better in-flight entertainment (batteries and antenna), and a door (much better than climbing through the usual gaping holes found in the fuselage after landing).

Flight controls are standardised across the fleet (4 toggles flaps, 6 toggles thrust reverse) and limited for passenger comfort, although barrel rolls are still possible according to Jeb.

Some glory pics:

Spoiler

pM1GoT8.png

ArOpm5m.png

KM3nFhL.png

pkCLcNu.png

PaC0dn1.png

RMlZEUn.png

RAz6zxg.png

pPrJ6K8.png

sorry to mobile users! 

Edited by Blasty McBlastblast
figures typo :)

39 minutes ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

I'd like to make an entry; presenting the Blasty Systems Fleet!!

5HtMtAU.png

clockwise from bottom left:

All planes share common features and construction techniques (T tails, ground level engines, etc..) to the delight of mechanics and dismay of parking attendants everywhere!

Passengers comfort is enhanced by better in-flight entertainment (batteries and antenna), and a door (much better than climbing through the usual gaping holes found in the fuselage after landing).

Flight controls are standardised across the fleet (4 toggles flaps, 6 toggles thrust reverse) and limited for passenger comfort, although barrel rolls are still possible according to Jeb.

Some glory pics:

Hide contents

pM1GoT8.png

ArOpm5m.png

KM3nFhL.png

pkCLcNu.png

PaC0dn1.png

RMlZEUn.png

RAz6zxg.png

pPrJ6K8.png

sorry to mobile users! 

I expect the reviewer will have a similar reaction to the face, laughing very hard while sea-sick.

@CrazyJebGuy yeah it's a lot, but they don't really have to judge it if they don't want too. I had a lot of fun doing this challenge quietly on my own (like i do with most challenges) and so thought for a change I'd actually post a submission!

Hopefully there is no sea-sickness for the judges, most of these planes fly very easily and smoothly, and are available at rock-bottom-prices.... :wink:

2 minutes ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

@CrazyJebGuy yeah it's a lot, but they don't really have to judge it if they don't want too. I had a lot of fun doing this challenge quietly on my own (like i do with most challenges) and so thought for a change I'd actually post a submission!

Hopefully there is no sea-sickness for the judges, most of these planes fly very easily and smoothly, and are available at rock-bottom-prices.... :wink:

I wouldn't go so far as to say rock bottom, low would be a better word.

Also, the Jumbo jet you submitted is tiny now compared to other jumbos. It's just been a constant stream of one-upping the person before you. At first it was < 250 but then I went 384 and then 800 and somebody did 1152 and some guy now is trying for > 3,000.

Look back at the previous pages to see some of the nonsense that resulted of the race. Somewhere I posted a video of a 1348 prototype I made splitting end to end. (It needs work)

And that reminds me: I gotta re-enter that race. I'll be one-upping the 1152, I will be interested to see who one-ups my one-up of a one-up that oned-up a previous one-up.

I agree that "big is beautiful", however many airports will need expansion to accommodate them! I recall last year doing the "polar charter challenge" with craft approaching the 1,300 (adjusted) passengers and pretty much everything had to launch and land from the grass :rolleyes:

The Blasty Systems fleet meet (and exceed in places) the specs requested, are simple and robust, have forgiving flight characteristics (low speed take off and landing, stable without pilot assistance), and for a limited time come with a free stair cart!! https://kerbalx.com/blasty_mcblastblast/BL-stair-cart 

B6N2n60.png 

2 minutes ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

I agree that "big is beautiful", however many airports will need expansion to accommodate them! I recall last year doing the "polar charter challenge" with craft approaching the 1,300 (adjusted) passengers and pretty much everything had to launch and land from the grass :rolleyes:

The Blasty Systems fleet meet (and exceed in places) the specs requested, are simple and robust, have forgiving flight characteristics (low speed take off and landing, stable without pilot assistance), and for a limited time come with a free stair cart!! https://kerbalx.com/blasty_mcblastblast/BL-stair-cart 

B6N2n60.png 

The landing gear on my Jumbos are very powerful, and can lower and raise the whole plane to allow for passengers to board with no ladder!

Might as well add to the catalouge:

6CZV0HB.png
(didn't get a good angle)

The WCT SST-1

Through some thorough observations, WaffleTech Civilian Transportations had seen other SST's use unwieldy turboramjets and afterburners. So they designed a nice small SST that only uses the most efficient 1.25m-diameter engine. Three of them.

The jet itself can cruise at about Mach 1.5 at 6 to 7 km up, far more efficient than the others at medium distances. Because of this, thermal and acoustic issues are greatly minimized as well. The view is also quite unobstructed, save for those back-seat passengers.

Like the BJ-1, everyone comes out the cockpit door. That means mass is reduced from including extra parts for the passengers. It also improves the acceleration of the craft to help breach the transonic wave drag.

At 21 851 000, this is certainly the best SST for the price range offered. Precision-built parts also make sure that minimal trim is needed to keep level flight to improve performance. You will get the best bang for your buck.

https://kerbalx.com/The_Kerbal_Way/WSI-SST-1 (I am aware that it says WSI. Mistake of mine. WSI stands for WaffleTech Space Industries)

Edited by Joseph Kerman

21 minutes ago, Joseph Kerman said:

-snip-

Just a heads up: There have been some really good value supersonics, I wouldn't be sure your is good, especially since it goes only mach 1.5, mach 4 is pretty standard.

Edited by CrazyJebGuy

1 minute ago, Joseph Kerman said:

But for medium-range operations, Mach 4 is quite costly to maintain.

True. But at medium range, why wouldn't they just go for an even more fuel efficient plane? Can you tell me the range of your plane, it's passenger count and it's fuel capacity? (I will calculate GPPM)

1 minute ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

True. But at medium range, why wouldn't they just go for an even more fuel efficient plane? Can you tell me the range of your plane, it's passenger count and it's fuel capacity? (I will calculate GPPM)

Remember. Operational costs rise the faster you go. Turboramjets are also quite expensive to maintain, and fuel efficiency drops when under afterburner.

Medium-range is the optimal range of my SST. Try go long, and it will take a while longer to fill up, or it may not reach the destination in one shot.

1 hour ago, Joseph Kerman said:

Remember. Operational costs rise the faster you go. Turboramjets are also quite expensive to maintain, and fuel efficiency drops when under afterburner.

Medium-range is the optimal range of my SST. Try go long, and it will take a while longer to fill up, or it may not reach the destination in one shot.

Please include statistics of your craft. I downloaded it to see these stats, you didn't even include a range estimate. (It's really easy) I calculated that myself, and it comes to 2,660 km.

Look, to find range:

when you test fly, look in the resource panel. (Or right click on an engine) to see fuel consumption. (Resource panel is total, engine is just that engine)

Now you divide the amount of fuel (1200) by how much is burnt per second (0.23) to get how long it will fly (5200) in seconds. You then multiple by the speed (510) and divide by 1,000 to get the range in kilometers.

GPPM is a bit harder. You divide the fuel capacity by the passenger capacity, and then divide that by the range in miles. Your craft has a GPPM of 0.03, which is a little on the high side but fairly average.

Include stats. P.S. I had trouble getting the plane off the ground, the elevators didn't work. Just saying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.