Have you ever been to eeloo in career mode

mrhexed

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Or use some gravity assists. Direct shot to Sarnus was supposed to need about 4km/s, according to TWP, but using Jool I dropped it to little less than 3k, increasing travel time only by two years. 

Also, that far, the electricity and fuel is not that big of a problem. It's the comm network. You'll need at least one DSR to work around Sarnus, or just long-range antenna, I don't know.

In stock, you really can't get a decent gravity assist to Eeloo under most circumstances because Eeloo is roughly at the same distance as Jool already.  In OPM, it's not that useful, either, for several reasons.  First, it's rare for Kerbin, Jool, and Sarnus to be in the right alignment and if they're not, then you just add lots of time to the trip, more than a direct shot from Kerbin would take.  Second, the faster you reach an outer planet, the more dV you need to stop there.  IOW, it just shifts the dV expenditure from the transfer burn to the capture burn, without really saving you any.  So in general, a straight shot from Kerbin is your go-to way of getting to an outer planet unless you're just doing a fly-by.

As far as comms go in OPM, you have several options.  Stock now has an option to jack up the DSN signal strength/range.  Or you can use ModuleManager to jack up the ranges of existing antennae.  Or you can use ModuleManager to turn some of the huge spy satellite dishes in DMagic Orbital Science into mondo relay antenna (my personal favorite).  And in all cases, you should have relays at every planet from Eve outwards, so you're not always trying to go all the way from Kerbin to Sarnus in 1 jump.

Eeloo is the only place I haven't been to. I even went to Dres for gawd sake.

The major problem is time. If I want to be efficient I need to gravity assist using eve, duna, kerbin and Jool. Takes way to much time of my precious in real life centiseconds to accomplish. 

To do it in career for *bleep*....*bleep*,*bleep* funs sake... the hell no.
There's no objective to go there besides the lousy paycheck being offered for Eeloo missions by wernher von brownshirts.
By that time I already have so much cash that I don't care a dot.

Give me a reason to go there besides admiring snow flakes that is? Maybe you'll convince me. 
Whenever I go there, it's probably modded with bettertime warp installed. 

Oh and...

Jool = Cool
Eeloo = just eeloo

Edited by Helmetman

Been there many times in career. Sent a small station and ore miner. I used nukes, fuel cells, and rtgs mostly.

My eeloo story was that in my 1.1.3 career, I wanted to return all of my kerbals to Kerbin before I retired it. Launched a transport to bring my three kerbals home from Eeloo.  When I got close, I looked to see when the return window from Eeloo to Kerbin was.  It was a day and a half after I arrived. Just enough time to dock, refuel, undock and burn for home.  It was a little stressful but highly time efficient.

I've not been to Eeloo in a career game, although I'm thinking of doing that now (internet... why do you keep putting ideas in my head).

Actually I think I've only ever been there twice in in sandbox because it takes so long to get there and when you do there's just Eeloo. At least with Jool you get rewarded with a system of its own to explore.

On second thoughts one of the two trips I made there didn't take that long as it was an entry to a challenge and I zoomed past the surface 4km below at 31km/s.

7 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Actually I think I've only ever been there twice in in sandbox because it takes so long to get there and when you do there's just Eeloo. At least with Jool you get rewarded with a system of its own to explore.

Well, depending on how serious you want to be (or not), you can try the Karbonite Plus mod.  This gives you a magic resource called Karbonundum that's used as fuel by wonderfully OP engines that will solve all your dV problems.  Karborundum is only available in a few places, one of which is Eeloo.  In fact, Eeloo is the easiest place to get it in terms of rocket design, it's just the time factor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.