How to get information on planets in tracking

Hello

I have completed a few flights and have used some scanners, but when I click on the planetary information in tracking - it still says you need to complete an orbital survey.

So how do you do that? I assumed that as you gathered information - it would update itself. Does it have to be a bona-fide mission?

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Palaceviking said:

Hold on! Have they changed see everything about every planet before you've even been there ?

nope.

Never was able to know ore concentration without scanning(or maybe running the drils). Nor biome information is available without going there.

Don't understand this. What do you mean about 'see everything before you've been there', the scanners only work at the planet itself. So how can you see everything without going? Or am I again missing something here. Also my OP was because I thought the scanners gave you more information - not just ore. But more details about planetary concentrations, etc. 

2 hours ago, Silverwood said:

I thought the scanners gave you more information - not just ore. But more details about planetary concentrations, etc. 

Stock KSP only has one resource: ore. If you were expecting other resources, they are from mods you've been using, and that you have turned off.

Edited by bewing

3 hours ago, Silverwood said:

Don't understand this. What do you mean about 'see everything before you've been there', the scanners only work at the planet itself. So how can you see everything without going? Or am I again missing something here. Also my OP was because I thought the scanners gave you more information - not just ore. But more details about planetary concentrations, etc. 

What I mean is all the planet /moon stats before you've researched ie: SOI,surface gravity etc

3 hours ago, bewing said:

Stock KSP only has one resource: ore. If you were expecting other resources, they are from mods you've been using, and that you have turned off.

Ok not mods except Mechjeb, I thought the scanners would give you more info on atmospheric content, what the content was on the ground, gas etc. The sort of info you would get from say a NASA probe landing on Mars in the early 1970's. 

11 minutes ago, Silverwood said:

Ok not mods except Mechjeb, I thought the scanners would give you more info on atmospheric content, what the content was on the ground, gas etc. The sort of info you would get from say a NASA probe landing on Mars in the early 1970's. 

In stock KSP it would be something like:

Atmospheric composition: air (100%)

Mineral composition: dirt (95%), ore (5%)

1 hour ago, bewing said:

The info tab in the tracking station will tell you if the air has oxygen in it.

Yes. I saw that, I guess when it said you need to conduct an atmospheric survey, I assumed that would give you more info that just Ore concentrations. But as the info in tracking is quite detailed, on reflection there is nothing more to find apart from ore concentrations.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.