Soviet N1-L3 Lunar Lander - STOCK -

He_162

THE SOVIET N1 LUNAR LANDER AND LK LUNAR MODULE
1762 parts
1,400 tons
30,000kN thrust (first stage)

https://kerbalx.com/He_162/N1-L3-Soviet-Lunar-Lander
https://imgur.com/a/k16JP
(Quick pics below, and a spoiler with almost the full album, for all pictures, refer to link above, or KerbalX page)

Changelog:
After release I made a second modification due to a few comments, they are:
-Modified first stage to remove a large amount of drag.
-Added RCS to the orbital module.
-Fairings are now clamshell instead of confetti.

OlvToMA.png
dI7odgM.png
iWCaRbF.png

r9rezMZ.png
jGzbKNc.png
izVFbeI.png
MmTmwcL.png
sg51qW2.png
eedwrFf.png
8RzkHQf.png
mLznkKz.png
dI7odgM.png
f5RzUhz.png
iWCaRbF.png
d4DhbJj.png
DFE05HY.png
eQI2Bcr.png
YYVky7u.png
1S5xGx7.png
a1AMSMH.png
xBDyCIR.png
WcaWWlE.png
z1tUl9r.png
QAOumbE.png
a4OUyrB.png
oIvj5rX.png

Edited by He_162

Very nice replica. If you're open to suggestions, I think the orbital module of the LOK spacecraft could be made more proportional by using two of the round nosecones (and usually I'd use something like a reaction wheel in between them) instead of a fairing, since that way it's roughly the same diameter as the crew capsule. Otherwise though it looks probably about as accurate as one could get it with stock parts, and appears extremely well-designed.

9 hours ago, peteletroll said:

The spherical tank hack is awesome!

Completely stock, no mods or "hacks" used! :) Unless of course you mean design wise.

9 hours ago, eloquentJane said:

Very nice replica. If you're open to suggestions, I think the orbital module of the LOK spacecraft could be made more proportional by using two of the round nosecones (and usually I'd use something like a reaction wheel in between them) instead of a fairing, since that way it's roughly the same diameter as the crew capsule. Otherwise though it looks probably about as accurate as one could get it with stock parts, and appears extremely well-designed.

Thanks, I'll look into it, and modify it as need be.

48 minutes ago, HerrCrazi said:

Really nice work ! Well done :)

Well thanks, I appreciate the comment! :)

42 minutes ago, Casualnaut said:

This challenge is so old it needs a new slogan.

"In rust we trust."

Challenge? I didn't know it was a challenge that I was doing, I just decided to make my 101'st craft a replica of the N1-L3 since my first time landing on the mun was done in my "first" N1-L3 look-a-like / replica at the time.
http://imgur.com/a/woYGj

Edited by He_162

21 hours ago, Schwarz said:

Awesome replica!
I would like to fly it myself but 1700+ parts would melt my i5.

You need single core performance, any i5 to ever exist with more than 3ghz of processing power can run this beast, but at or around 3 frames per second or less.

13 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Great work mate! It's the nicest looking N1 I've seen so far!

One criticism, and one that would stop me from releasing it if it where mine, the fairing release. Why is it confetti?

Haha, not so sure why I didn't look into that. I'll fix it stat!

12 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

Sweet. :)

It is for me one of the most important moments when flying a rocket replica. That satisfying clean fairing release. :cool:

It has been done! I modified it, I removed a lot of parts and somehow ended up with more than I had before!

Almost no modifications have been made to how it looks, so I won't do a new album for it, but I might get a screenshot of the fairing release (proper this time! :D) using cheats to put it in orbit

It's a pain to launch, just like the real thing.. haha.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:52 PM, Raptor9 said:

What a monster! I like the strut structural latticework on the Mun descent. :)

I completely agree! It was very fun to build.

That is called the "Crasher stage" as it crashes into the mun, and they then use a "descent" stage on the lander with very minimal fuel for the actual landing which is used to land away from the wreckage.

Edited by He_162

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally had the time to record this hour long launch and return!

Oh, and I condensed it into a 4 minute video for you guys to watch in the OP, thanks for all the likes / views, it was fun to build, and I plan on keeping it updated for the latest KSP version for a while!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.