Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And the sattelite was called "Meteor."

Ba-Dum-Tiss!

A very appropriate name!

I still blame the bishop though. He probably only consecrated the Soyuz rocket and skipped the Fregat. The machine spirit became unhappy, and that's how you get failed launches.

Edited by sh1pman

On 11/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Aww. :(

Note to self, don't jinx it next time.

So, we're looking at the stage pointing the wrong way. Like in KSP when you forget to "control from here" on the forward facing part, but probably not as extreme as that, and it is awfully similar to the 2014 failure @PB666 referenced.

Hit "X" key, set course to retrograde, hope your reaction wheels are zeroed out and ready to go, hit "Y".  Then of course your are free to sip your vodka.

Lavochkin now says someone literally forgot to program the nav system for Vostochny... despite Fregat already flying out of two locations on a regular basis.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/meteor-m2-1.html#culprit

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

Makes one wonder if a sensor didn’t get jammed in upside-down again....

So... yeah.

7 minutes ago, DDE said:

Lavochkin now says someone literally forgot to program the nav system for Vostochny... despite Fregat already flying out of two locations on a regular basis.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/meteor-m2-1.html#culprit

So... yeah.

So it had wrong inclination settings it seems? Looks like it tried to “correct” its inclination instead of burning prograde. What a stupid way to botch a launch.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

I think their insurance companies are going to do quite a bit of yelling at someone.

5 hours ago, PB666 said:

I think their insurance companies are going to do quite a bit of yelling at someone.

At this point, I really wonder why Sogaz and Ingosstrakh aren’t more involved with the manufacturers. How hard would it be to get TS-CI clearance to get inspectors onto the factory floor?

22 minutes ago, Nightside said:

It is surprising that the reason for the failure came out so quickly. I would expect to learn this much later or ... never. 

TBH none of the above is to any degree official. They’ll still run a formal comission that will rubber-stamp Lavochkin’s admission of guilt five years from now.

Or they’ll designate the programmer a Ukrainian spy. Can’t tell with our guys.