Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

23 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wait, this is the last Zenit? Like, ever?

Wait, didn't something happen in the country where they made those that necessitated stopping production? Is it permanent or temporary? Or am I just reading too much into that?

Zenit’s primary plant is in Ukraine, but it uses Russian electronics and engines. Once the geopolitical brouhaha began, Yuzhmash basically went out of business while Russia ended up with half a dozen flight-ready Zenits at Baikonur’s Site 42 HIF. This one required a warranty extentsion, and it’s a bloody miracle that Ukranian authorities allowed their rocket scientists to travel to the country they like to refer to as Mordor.

Currently Yuzhmash has orders for another 12 Zenits from S7/Sea Launch, but they would be assembled in America because of all that turbulence. They are trying to diversify by starting a spaceport project in Canada (a country with a notoriously militant Ukrainian diaspora, by pure coincidence I’m sure), because by 2021 Russia is to create the fat Zenit that is Soyuz-5 for use at Baikonur, at which point Sea Launch would switch over to it as well.

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

If its roomier than all the other russian modules, sign me up!

Mechanics, the 20-ton, 15.5-meter-long module would provide 92 cubic meters of pressurized space. It would accommodate four sleeping quarters sized around two cubic meters each and two “hygiene and medical” stations of the same volume. Each private room would also have a porthole with a diameter of 228 millimeters (9 inches), while the lounge area of the module would have a giant 426-millimeter (16-inch) window.

Spoiler

gallery-1467046176-03-nem-infograph-1513

(from the article)

One more application for the unborn but immortal TKS in all shining of its glory.

The Russian Space Agency (Roscosmos) is proceeding with a new project to build a lunar orbiter which will be the first of numerous new lunar missions the agency is planning. Based on information TASS obtained from the official government procurement website, the new Luna-Resurs Orbiter will be contracted out to several different companies with a total price tag not to exceed 2 billion rubles (a little over $33,500,000 at the current exchange rate). The primary contractor of the new spacecraft will be the NPO Lavochkin aerospace company. They will receive about 80 percent of the contract’s value in an advance payment.

According to previously released reports, the first spacecraft marking Russia’s return to the Moon will be a lander – Luna 25 (formerly known as the Luna-Glob Lander) – that will be sent to the Moon’s south pole, possibly landing in the Boguslavsky crater. The last published launch date for the lander is sometime in 2019. Next will be the Luna-26 orbital spacecraft which will circle the Moon in a near lunar orbit, and it will be tasked to gather information from the Luna 25 lander and transmit that data back to Earth as well carrying out research using other onboard instrumentation. The third mission, following behind the orbiter, is scheduled to be another lander – Luna 27 (Luna-Resurs Lander) – with an advanced cryogenic drilling system. Luna 27 is planned to land in the South Pole–Aitken basin – an unexplored region on the Moon’s far side.

The entire project is presumed to be a precursor for a manned lunar landing sometime in 2029, with the possibility of the development of a permanent lunar base.

Read more at http://www.spaceflightinsider.com/organizations/roscosmos/new-russian-lunar-orbiter-contracted-built/#e3jfhkD2z7m8r0wJ.99

I see a countdown, has it launched already? The reason I ask is that the POCKOCMOC page on the FB reported a successful launch (or FB's translation routine is garbage).

E: Looking into the times it doesn't seem to have. Maybe the FB is just garbage.

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, regex said:

I see a countdown, has it launched already? The reason I ask is that the POCKOCMOC page on the FB reported a successful launch (or FB's translation routine is garbage).

E: Looking into the times it doesn't seem to have. Maybe the FB is just garbage.

Just saw the launch in the Livestream, this should be right

2 minutes ago, Nightfury said:

Just saw the launch in the Livestream, this should be right

That's funny, the Youtube stream has a countdown. E: It's not a stream.

I am failing so hard today, it's a wonder I'm holding down a sysadmin job...

Edited by regex