Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Russia's Roscosmos says Falcon Heavy’s launch with roadster on board was 'good trick'

MOSCOW, February 7. /TASS/. Russian space corporation Roscosmos’s spokesman Igor Burenkov believes that the launch of a Falcon Heavy rocket with a Tesla car as a payload was an excellent advertising trick.

"The point is there are private companies that do business very well and that are interested in drawing more investment," Burenkov said on the Ekho Moskvy radio station. "For this they arrange for all sorts of promo events… The rocket put in space not some worthless dummy, a payload nobody will be sorry to lose, but a very specific motor vehicle," he said.

"Something has to be done to boost business. Tesla is not doing very well. Everybody knows that. It was an excellent trick. Just wonderful," Burenkov said.

http://tass.com/science/988909

What a bunch of idiots. A so-called space agency commenting on a car manufacturer finances, while completely ignoring the rocket that's three times as powerful as their failing Proton, AND mostly reusable. 

"Advertising trick", lol. What a pathetic statement.

16 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

http://tass.com/science/988909

What a bunch of idiots. A so-called space agency commenting on a car manufacturer finances, while completely ignoring the rocket that's three times as powerful as their failing Proton, AND mostly reusable. 

Doubly embarrassing if you do it on an, airquotes, hostile radio station.

On 02/02/2018 at 1:13 AM, Teilnehmer said:

(Sorry. Ignore this post.)

Okay. Ill try my best

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Well, they aren't wrong, but it is definitely more than just that.

Edited by NSEP

28 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

To be fair, launching a car is pretty goofy (Boeing lunar rovers and Lunokhods, etc., excepted).  But there's no denying that it drew attention; therefore, mission accomplished.

That attention was effectively free, since the alternative payload would have been dead weight as a test.

I'll admit, I'm fairly new to watching Russian launches. Back in the day we never saw them, and when we did, it was after the fact, and truly awful quality video. Hard to get interested in that compared to live shuttle coverage, or glossy hi-res photographic images (pre-web) of Shuttle. Sadly, the Russian launches (and to a lesser extent, most every launch provider other than SpaceX, honestly) are not terribly interesting most of the time.

My son (and daughter, though she's less rabid about them, lol) loves launches, but gets pretty bored with all the non-spacex launches because they are not visually interesting. Watching something climb into space in real time, seeing the Earth turn beneath you as it achieves space... is a truly amazing thing. Sad that most don;t bother to stick a gopro on their rockets, they'd get a lot more interest if they did---for almost zero effort.

Edited by tater

12 hours ago, tater said:

non-spacex launches because they are not visually interesting

An ideal space launch.

0. An empty round site covered with concrete.
1. A hole opens.
2. Column of fire.
3. Something quickly flies up and disappears in the sky.
4. The hole closes.

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

An ideal space launch.

1. A hole opens.
2. Column of fire.
3. Something quickly flies up and disappears in the sky.
4. The hole closes.

Found the RVSN guy.

dsc-1085.jpg?nocache=43948

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Found the RVSN guy.

No. Just a perfectionism.

But the picture illustrates the idea ideally.

Why put KSC facilities on ground when you can hide them underground. Make the planet green again!

Edited by kerbiloid

15 minutes ago, tater said:

^^^^ THAT is what I'm talking about. If ever Soyuz had that view, I'd never miss one.

One was an ESA flight.

The other was a specially-fitted PR stunt for Vostochny.

Don't expect to see a lot of these. From what I can see, the Soviet program in general relied on very little camera footage, which is why you don't see a lot of footage from that era either.

Edited by DDE

Silly Elon, didn't you know they're allowed to hide behind obstacles when camping with speedguns?

Didn't you expect one of them to take cover behind the biggest object out there - the Moon?

Were you even thinking when exceeding the trans-Martian speed limit?