Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Hmmm...so they jettison the escape tower before the Korolev cross, then jettison the launch shroud separately. I may need to rework my model.

I noticed this as well. I assumed it pulled the fairing off.

My son is home on spring break... "Why are their cameras crap?" "An old phone camera would be better."

5 minutes ago, tater said:

I noticed this as well. I assumed it pulled the fairing off.

I will have to make my lower fairing go all the way up and close, then place the escape tower assembly on top of the upper docking port of the Soyuz forward module and offset it out of the fairing.

If you close a fairing in stock KSP onto a central column, you cannot pull that column free and later blow the fairing.

13 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I was watching the launch during chemistry class while we were doing a lab on chemical reactions. My lab partner and I decided to light some magnesium on fire at the exact moment the rocket launched.

Just don't try to emulate a Proton or Rockot.

original.jpg

Edited by DDE

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Just don't try to emulate a Proton or Rockot.

A couple of books I've read say that Korolev referred to that sort of toxic storable-propellant stuff as "devil's venom."   Out of curiosity, what's the Russian for "devil's venom?"

(I could Google translate it, but I think there's a high probability that this is an idiomatic expression that wouldn't translate correctly...)

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

3 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

A couple of books I've read say that Korolev referred to that sort of toxic storable-propellant stuff as "devil's venom."   Out of curiosity, what's the Russian for "devil's venom?"

I’ve literally never seen any phrase like that in Russian sources. The least technical term Korolev reportedly used was “putting people atop a drum of poison”.

There is also considerable confusion as to what “devil’s venom” was. Some sources point to the early hypergols using crap like WFNA or sulphiric acid, not АК-27И.

Spoiler
14 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Maybe "devil's venom" is "чёртова отрава".

Literally, "devil's" = "дьявольский", but as Russians in mass are traditionally more superstitious than religious, this sounds too high style for a real life talk, used mostly by a religiously-concerned person.
As "devil"/"дьявол" is usually a personal call for Satan as a single person.
Low-style synonim of "devil" is "чёрт", can mean any daemonic being, like "someone of all those devils".
So, "чёртов" is a usual colloqial dismissive term for something unpleasant, with no religious context (unless your interlocator is concerned about that), like "freaking".

"venom" = "яд", but this sounds also too high-style and accented, and probably this could be "отрава" = "some kind of all that poisionous stuff", more low-style and dismissive.

Sounds unlikely that such person like Korolev could be saying "дьявольский яд" (literally "devil's venom") otherwise like a joke,
Very likely he could call it "чёртова отрава" (literally "freaking poison").

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

(Or a Ukrainian.  I'm not certain what Korolev self-identified as.)

Nah, they wrote that right into your internal passport, and until 1975 they strictly enforced paternal ethnic lineage.

However, that doesn't settle the flame war in the slightest. NKVD documents list him as a Russian. However, he was born in Ukraine by geography, and a purported Kiev polytech uni application where he self-identifies as Ukrainian... which may have been for pragmatic reasons, because by 1924 UkSSR probably had semi-official university quotas for non-Russians under Lazarus Kaganovich and the Soviet policy of propping up controllable forms of minority nationalism. That's on top of an effective ban on non-proletarians... and then, in late 1940s, Jews.

Edited by DDE

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

Nah, they wrote that right into your internal passport, and until 1975 they strictly enforced paternal ethnic lineage.

However, that doesn't settle the flame war in the slightest. NKVD documents list him as a Russian. However, he was born in Ukraine by geography, and a purported Kiev polytech uni application where he self-identifies as Ukrainian... which may have been for pragmatic reasons, because by 1924 UkSSR probably had semi-official university quotas for non-Russians under Lazarus Kaganovich and the Soviet policy of propping up controllable forms of minority nationalism. That's on top of an effective ban on non-proletarians... and then, in late 1940s, Jews.

Sorry I asked.  :D   Just trying to be respectful to the Chief Designer!

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

35 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Seriously, the question wasn't asked with any malice aforethought... it was just something I suddenly wondered about.   I should probably just say "Soviet," and leave it at that.

That would be... politically correct. Yeah, I'm also entirely serious, and am trying to stick to facts; the Soviet Union being up to quota shenanigans is not even controversial.

Also, it was apparently hilarious to watch the eye twitches whenever Mstislaw Keldysh reported himself as a nobleman with all the secret clearances (from nukes to aerodynamics to orbital mechanics). Almost as hilarious as it was for Mikhail Yangel, after years of getting the side-eye, to be informed that, according to credible Western sources, he was von Braun's missing deputy and not a son of a Siberian hunter.