Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

30 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

Russia says they'll do a lot of things. They don't do many of them.

It's probably just busy-work program for Soyuz-5 and Proton Medium rockets, as the commercial launch market is being eaten by SpaceX. Kinda like LOP-G for SLS.

15 hours ago, sh1pman said:

https://www.rt.com/politics/427662-arms-chief-rogozin-space/

Well, if it wasn’t obvious before, RIP Roscosmos.

The people were so “happy” about the appointment that Roscosmos had to lock down the comments section on their social media page.

Is there any context for those of us clueless about Russian internal operation?  Does he have a reputation for milking a cash cow with zero interest in further development or otherwise killing the goose that lays the golden egg?  I can't believe that Russia would shut down Soyuez, but halting further development (along with more QA issues) is easily believable.

It might need to be a simple link to avoid the "politics" issue.

1 hour ago, wumpus said:

Is there any context for those of us clueless about Russian internal operation?  Does he have a reputation for milking a cash cow with zero interest in further development or otherwise killing the goose that lays the golden egg?  I can't believe that Russia would shut down Soyuez, but halting further development (along with more QA issues) is easily believable.

It might need to be a simple link to avoid the "politics" issue.

He is a completely incompetent gung-ho idiot. Career politician, never worked in rocketry, spaceflight industry, science or engineering. Graduated with a degree in journalism, former leader of a pseudo-nationalist party. Under his "oversight" the Russian space industry became a sorry mess that it is now (well, it was going downhill before, but he only made it worse). 

http://spacenews.com/putin-taps-rogozin-to-head-roscosmos/

The translation is sketchy sometimes, but it gives the general idea: Article

Edited by sh1pman

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:39 AM, kerbiloid said:

Oof... you know your space program is underfunded when you can't build a variant of a proven rocket that involves little more than ditching the second stage.

Guess who is trying to jump on a train of smallsat launches? With a reusable rocket, no less!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/06/04/russias-advanced-technology-fund-says-will-begin-testing-reusable/

Not that it will ever fly or anything. Pretty sure it won't. I'm just surprised how many companies are proposing smallsat rockets these days.

7 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

Today’s Soyuz start live

1 hour ago, Ringkeeper said:

same stream, just in english from NASA for all that don't speak russian :) German Gerst on board, so.... hype :D

t- 20min

Thank you!!!

I was going to set my alarm... but I forgot... d'oh!!!  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

NASA webcast had views from external cam.

The rocking is odd. (around 4:30 in the vid above)

23 minutes ago, Reactordrone said:

That was great. External camera views were fantastic. Those solar panels deploy quickly.

Thanks for this post, it got me hunting for an alternate replay.

Edited by tater

35 minutes ago, tater said:

The rocking is odd. (around 4:30 in the vid above)

Rocking like that also happens in KSP when you have more than one engine with strong gimbal. PID controller freaks out a bit. RD-108 has four vernier thrusters, so they might induce some rocking when the stage is almost empty.

Unrelated: Top-1 hilarious mission failure causes - Soyuz-2.1b/Fregat-M 28 November 2017. Quote "The orbital insertion burn was conducted while upper stage was oriented in the wrong direction sending it back in to the atmosphere."

Edited by sh1pman