Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

14 hours ago, insert_name said:

wouldnt almost any modern warship be a rocket carrier?

There are missiles.

And then there are huge missiles.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:28 PM, sh1pman said:

Russia to develop super-heavy rocket as reusable spacecraft
http://tass.com/science/1017451

Ganked-up translation. He was referring to the "rocket LEGO" school of design.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:30 PM, Codraroll said:

Forgive my ignorance, but I tried to look through this entire thread before asking the question here: Which rocket are they planning to launch Federation on?

As far as I understand, Federation is slated to have a launch mass of 17,000 kg and be ready for a first flight in 2022. However, this appears to leave it without a rocket in time for the maiden flight:

Wikipedia, quoting ArsTechnica, says Angara was dropped since it was too expensive. Soyuz-5/Sunkar was chosen instead, but it still only exists on the planning board, and its chief designer recently retired from the company. Neither Soyuz nor Zenit are powerful enough. Proton is being retired at the moment, and Proton-Medium cancelled development. Energia was retired in 1987.

So it appears to stand between Angara A5 or Soyuz-5, neither of which are in service or promise to be in service for years. It seems like both of them need to be human-rated before getting to fly Federation too, which takes even longer. Angara A5 is the most viable of the two, but will the costs be bearable? Or will the Federation program be scaled back so it doesn't finish until there is a rocket ready to launch it?

All mock-ups feature the Soyuz-5 now.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:56 AM, insert_name said:

A mig-31 has been spotted carrying an unusually large rocket analysts suspect it's an ASAT or orbital launch vehicle (or both)

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23936/exclusive-russian-mig-31-foxhound-carrying-huge-mystery-missile-emerges-near-moscow

It IS a dead ringer for the Kontakt missile, and I've heard not-entirely-substantiated things about that project being alive.

That makes at least four Russian ASATs in play (Kontakt, Nudol/Rudolph, Nivelir, Burevestnik).

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45734.0

On 10/3/2018 at 2:00 PM, tater said:

So they say they are planning a reduced crew until the launch Nauka, no earlier than next year. 
So they are still planning on launching Nauka (?!). What will they launch it on? I've heard Proton is on the way out, are there any planned Proton launches currently?

Is NASA paying for Nauka, or will this be Russian funded?

2 hours ago, Nightside said:

So they are still planning on launching Nauka (?!)

Yes.

What will they launch it on?

Proton-M. It’s already built.

I've heard Proton is on the way out, are there any planned Proton launches currently?

Yes, quite a few: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_2018.html

Hopefully Nauka won't face any more delays, it was originally scheduled for 2007... I'd love to see it go up, especially since it may only have 5 years to be used, and with every delay that becomes shorter unless we get that 2028 extension, which IMO should happen. Maybe by that time we'll have a spacecraft which can return the modules to Earth (BFR, modified New Glenn, New Armstrong, etc.) in a cost effective way.

19 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hopefully Nauka won't face any more delays, it was originally scheduled for 2007... I'd love to see it go up, especially since it may only have 5 years to be used, and with every delay that becomes shorter unless we get that 2028 extension, which IMO should happen. Maybe by that time we'll have a spacecraft which can return the modules to Earth (BFR, modified New Glenn, New Armstrong, etc.) in a cost effective way.

The plan is to reuse Nauka on a post-ISS Russian station.