Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Yes.

10 minutes ago, Reactordrone said:

LES was gone so they just had to separate from the rest of the rocket rather than blast free.

Unless LES wasn't required as there was neither explosion nor booster acceleration.

Spoiler

Launch abort test... Passed.

Edited by kerbiloid

17 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes.

Unless LES wasn't required as there was neither explosion nor booster acceleration.

Reveal hidden contents

Launch abort test... Passed.

It said that the second stage engine did a emergency shutdown.  So the rocket must have been in free fall during the separation.

Thou I assume that a fully fulled center core that is on the same ballistic tragectory as the capsule can pose some danger to the crew.

But the parachutes should make the capsule land some distance from the inferno where the booster lands.

EDIT: With fully fulled center core I mean with whatever fuel is left after side booster separation...

Edited by Nefrums

6 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

Thou I assume that a fully fulled center core that is on the same ballistic tragectory as the capsule can pose some danger to the crew.

Normally Soyuz's LES is to be jettisonned at T+160, while the 2nd stage works till T+270.

Probably the 2nd stage engines are considered shutdownable at any moment, as unlikely the 3rd stage engine makes greater T/W than the 2nd stage near the end of fuel.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 minute ago, Nightfury said:

In the last few seconds of the video, is the second stage (the middle booster) tipping to the left? Does not look good

(play at 0.25x speed)

Appearance of tipping to the left but it could just be some nozzles failing to ignite properly or fizzling out.

Soyuz.

Spoiler

Stage 1:
t = 118 s

Stage 2:
t = 286 s
Mempty = 6 t
Mfuel = 94 t.
F = 99 tf

Stage 3:
t = 240 s
Mempty = 3 t
Mfuel = 23 t.
F = 30 tf

Soyuz:
M = 6 t.
F = 0.3 tf

LES and shroud:
M = 2 t
Separation at T+160.

After Stage 1 separation.

Stage 2 still has 94 * (286-118)/286 ~= 55 t of fuel.

Stage 2 T/W = 99 / (6 + 55 + 3 + 23 + 6 + 2) = 1.04

LES has much greater T/W.

After LES and shroud separation.

Stage 2 still has 94 * (286-160)/286 ~= 41 t of fuel.

Stage 2 T/W = 99 / (6 + 41 + 3 + 23 + 6) = 1.25

Stage 3 T/W = 30 / (3 + 23 + 6) = 0.94

Ship T/W = 0.3 / 6 = 0.05

So, they definitely consider Stage 2 and Stage 3 shutdownable at any moment.

Also S.2 has the fuel tank from below.

Spoiler

300px-11A511_diagrams.jpg

Or treat the 41/3.5 = 12 t of kerosene (after LES separation) far away from the ship as looking less dangerous than something bigger.

Edited by kerbiloid

I read that Russia has decided to suspend human spaceflight.

As of now, other possibilities will not be available before the second half of the next year.

I am speculating that could be bad news for the ISS if it is left un-crewed .... ?

24 minutes ago, Nefrums said:

If one of the second stage engines got damaged during irst stage separation, that could cause the tilting and the shutdown of remaining second stage engines.

I assume that soyuz does not have engine out capability.

The RD-108 has four chambers but it's only one engine (not counting the verniers).

12 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

As of now, other possibilities will not be available before the second half of the next year.

1st cosmonaut from Emirates is going to fly 2019.04.05.

Maybe he now gains several more months for training.

Upd.
They say, it will take ~1.5 months to make the next Soyuz ready.

Edited by kerbiloid

16 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

I am speculating that could be bad news for the ISS if it is left un-crewed .... ?

Well, that does mean its going to be the first (and hopefully last) period time in my life space is left uninhabited.

21 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Can you provide sources? I'd like to verify.

6 minutes ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Can you provide sources? I'd like to verify.

For Russia to suspend human space flight it was in a German news ticker.

For Boeing's Starliner and SpaceX Crew Dragon 2 (are there others ?) this forum and NASA's timeline.

For ISS to stay in orbit, well, that was a seculative question i hoped to get answered. Can it stay in orbit un-crewed, being refuelled ? Or can docked automatic vehicles with own engines do the job ?

@kerbiloid it's not just how much supplies they have, microgravity is tough on humans and the crew need to rest at some point. I'd much rather have the crew come back on schedule, and leave the ISS unmanned for a few months, than conduct an unplanned experiment in human endurance.

@Green Baron if that's an issue, they can reboost now to prolong the stations longevity, but it probably can be done remotely.

Edited by MinimumSky5

4 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

@kerbiloid it's not just how much supplies they have, microgravity is tough on humans and the crew need to rest at some point. I'd much rather have the crew come back on schedule, and leave the ISS unmanned for a few months, than conduct an unplanned experiment in human endurance. 

The Academy of Cosmonautics member A. Ionin has told today on the radio that the next Soyuz will be prepared in ~1.5 months, and the flights will continue soon.

P.S.
The planned October Progress may be postponed as using the same rocket.

Edited by kerbiloid

That seems highly premature given that we don't know why this one failed. If they've worked out why the Soyuz failed, great, but if not, let's not risk people lives. I mean, we've just had a great abort test for Soyuz, but let's take this slowly. 

I see. The source i had (n-tv.de) cited ria.ru for the decision to suspend. But i cannot read Russian to check that, i can't even make out how to switch languages :-/

We'll probably know more soon(tm). @kerbiloid keeps us informed i hope :-)

Edited by Green Baron

I'll try my best.

Spoiler

I bet 3 "likes"/"reacts" on asymmetrical 1st stage separation, so the 2nd stage has shut down engines on extreme values of angular accelerations.

I guess, one of four was attached not perfectly.

Edited by kerbiloid