Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Possible death throes of the booster, seen from China.

Given that the launch was in the daytime in Russia and it was also daytime where I am in Australia it seems unlikely that it's still flying around at night.

10 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So did the escape tower pull the capsule away, or not? This is what's confusing me right now.:confused:

It would appear that it did not, that the crew made an abort using engines like Soyuz 18-a or maybe with the third stage, but that seems odd given that right now they're saying a booster failed to separate properly and hit the core stage...

No. The incident happened after LES seperation. The hit was not very severe, it did not cause an explosion. Spacecraft engines should be more than powerful than enough for steering clear of the booster.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

No. The incident happened after LES seperation. The hit was not very severe, it did not cause an explosion. Spacecraft engines should be more than powerful than enough for steering clear of the booster.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45822845

So the BBC got something wrong? Maybe they mixed "jettison" and "deploy" ?

Edited by EwingKang

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

I thought the LES wasn't supposed to separate until about 40 seconds after the boosters separated.  So the LES should have been available at the time of failure.  The booster did seem to be turning sideways, so I guess it's possible that aerodynamic forces destroyed the LES before it could be activated.  (It also possible that it was used and a translator mistranslated LES activated as LES jettisoned).  If aerodynamic loads did destroy the LES before it could be used, then that sound like a design issue, and I think it's unlikely they could fix that and certify a new design in the next 3 months.

Edited by AVaughan

Okay... I've looked on NSF and they are saying the landing site is about 260 miles away from the launch site. So the question remains, did they briefly enter space?

1 minute ago, AVaughan said:

I thought the LES wasn't supposed to separate until about 40 seconds after the boosters separated.  So the LES should have been available at the time of failure.  The booster did seem to be turning sideways, so I guess it's possible that aerodynamic forces destroyed the LES before it could be activated.  (It also possible that it was used and a translator mistranslated LES activated as LES jettisoned).  If aerodynamic loads did destroy the LES before it could be used, then that sound like a design issue, and I think it's unlikely they could fix that and certify a new design in the next 3 months.

NSF is saying that was an old version of the profile, in this version the LES is jettisoned about 3 seconds before separation.

@AVaughan A tweet somewhere said that thrusters on the shroud were used to separate the descent module, the tower itself had been jettisoned. IIRC Soyuz has these smaller abort motors on the shroud too. 

@Ultimate Steve per the news briefing on now, abort was at about 50... actually I’m not sure if that’s miles or kilometers, anyway, they did coast into space. 

Good photo of the “oops.”

5 hours ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Can you provide sources? I'd like to verify.

Very, yes they would suspend all Soyuz launches until they figure out that is the problem. 
This is standard, as they don't know that is the problem but its little chance its the Soyuz who caused it I say its simply click bait on Soyuz grounded 

I've googled out the Soyuz-TMA LES description.

So, all internet sources unanimously allege that LES tower gets jettisoned at T+160 (some of them that T+140), just several seconds before the shroud.
That makes sense.
But as I can understand this is how it worked in classic Soyuzes.

At least since Soyuz-TMA the LES tower gets jettisoned at T+115, right before the 1st stage (exactly what we see in the video).
Since T+115 till T+158 (when the shroud gets jettisoned, almost like in old Soyuzes, too), the launch abort is performed by the shroud engines.

The towerless shroud of TMA (and later) has 2x2 engines which normally throw away the shroud halves.
But in case of the launch abort the engines ignite two by two with 0.3 s delay and take away the head block of the rocket, including both shroud and two upper sections of the spaceship.
Then the shroud splits, and the capsule happily slides out.

Upd.
Those 2x2 shroud engines are four short tilted radial pipes at the top of the shroud, right beneath the joint of cylinder and cone.

Edited by kerbiloid

51 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Did anyone else see a bunch of objects at booster separation, it didn't look like a normal korolev's cross 

From now on, it shall be known as the Korolev polygon :-)

Can only be the rubble from the colliding cores ...

46 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Someone pressed the spacebar a bit too early.

They are in good company. Happens to me all the time. "Surprise ! One booster's in the wrong group !"

I too find it it astounding that the rocket managed the failure without the crew being hurt. Hope they get behind the cause soon.

Edited by Green Baron