Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

On 12/7/2018 at 5:01 PM, DDE said:

From what I understand, elements of the design had to be detached due to arms contorl issues.

Which reminds me of other kinds of import tricks.

171a9b5s-960.jpg

It’s not a Japanese car if you cut a piece off and ship it separately before welding it back together.

Structural issues? C’mon, it’s not even from Fukushima.

That was common in Norway once. Then they changed the tax from import toll to first time registration bill. 
And yes it was easier to do this back in the 60s. 

Still if you use some inserts you could weld this together nicely. Note the manufacturer could be more helpful here and make the car so its easy to cut in two and put together without needing an paint job or welding. 
You obviously don't skip both parts together

21 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So instead of stitches it gets a bandage. :lol: Shame it’s just going to burn up eventually, that thing belongs in a collection. 

LOL. might be an idea to leave it in orbit for later then we get stuff like new Glen and BFR running you could recover and sell.

Seriously, as I understand the orbital module will be filled with junk from the station and is not used much between undocking from ISS and deorbit. 

A source reports that according to preliminary conclusion the hole had been drilled on the Earth.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.interfax.ru/russia/642188&edit-text=

Upd.

Two sources say that the investigation results may stay classified.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.interfax.ru/russia/642307&edit-text=

They also say that during EVA the samples of the insulation have been cut off with jeweller's accuracy and will be delivered for research.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 minutes ago, 4472TJ said:

New to this page and mad about Russian spaceflight, what have you got going?

A while back, A Soyuz was discovered with a hole in it. Then a Soyuz had to abort on ascent, meaning the Soyuz with the hole in it had to stay up there longer to wait for the next crew, which came up recently, and they just did a spacewalk to investigate the hole from the outside, and we're currently thinking an engineer accidentally drilled it on the ground and tried to cover it up.

Russia's future heavy lifter plans are nebulous and changing every two months as usual, but they've said they are going to choose one and put money into it soon, maybe.

Nauka, an ISS module, has been repeatedly delayed and will hopefully launch next year, but we've been saying that for years.

Proton is going to be retired in a few years, replaced by Angara, but Angara has only had a few flights, with a long time between them.

That's mostly it as far as major events.

The Souyz MS-10 was I think the first Souyz to abort in flight, ever. One in the '70's/'80's exploded on the pad and one depressurized whilst undocking killing the crew but other than that Souyz's are really safe

1 minute ago, 4472TJ said:

The Souyz MS-10 was I think the first Souyz to abort in flight, ever. One in the '70's/'80's exploded on the pad and one depressurized whilst undocking killing the crew but other than that Souyz's are really safe

There was one more that had a high-altitude abort, the number escapes me but IIRC the core stage didn’t separate properly and put the upper stage/spacecraft into a spin. Crew aborted using the Soyuz engine and had a pretty rough descent but were ok. 

Just now, 4472TJ said:

There was one inflight abort but it was really late in flight and they landed safely. It was Soyuz 18a I think.

Its a shame that all the big space news is, there is a hole, a mission has been aborted (which is quite big) whereas in the Apolo era it was, we have landed on the moon, we have achieved orbit on another celestial body. I'm not saying this is not such a good time for spaceflight but I have a feeling that the next real space race is about to start, and it won't be Russia that gets to Mars first, as I've heard nothing from Roscomos about an interplanetary mission, let alone one manned

6 minutes ago, 4472TJ said:

Its a shame that all the big space news is, there is a hole, a mission has been aborted (which is quite big) whereas in the Apolo era it was, we have landed on the moon, we have achieved orbit on another celestial body. I'm not saying this is not such a good time for spaceflight but I have a feeling that the next real space race is about to start, and it won't be Russia that gets to Mars first, as I've heard nothing from Roscomos about an interplanetary mission, let alone one manned

Still, this year has been great as far as space goes, the best in a while. We've had the most launches this year since sometime in the nineties I think.

5 hours ago, 4472TJ said:

it won't be Russia that gets to Mars first, as I've heard nothing from Roscomos about an interplanetary mission, let alone one manned

Well, NASA doesn’t have a plan for manned interplanetary mission either. Nor does anyone else, except maybe SpaceX, if their BFR works as advertised.

Russian magnetic 3d-bioprinter "Organaut" has printed in ISS samples of human tissue and rodent thyroid gland. from Mystery Goo.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.interfax.ru/russia/642451&edit-text=

Spoiler

Soon they will spawn the crew right onboard from reusable material.
All those new six-pack spaceships become obsolete.

16 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Proton is going to be retired in a few years, replaced by Angara, but Angara has only had a few flights, with a long time between them.

Insiders claims outright financial sabotage. The Proton, they say, is only this cheap because every imaginable expense has been shifted onto the Angara.

This is coupled with Rogozin trying to evict the relevant rocket factory out of Moscow in favour of a site in Omsk, slated to produce Energia side boosters back in the day. The current Khrunichev site is optikized for a dozen Protons per year, and it stands on lucrative real estate that woild help pay off the company’s enormous debts 

@4472TJ

16 hours ago, 4472TJ said:

I've heard nothing from Roscomos about an interplanetary mission, let alone one manned

You’ll actually hear plenty. And absolutely nothing concrete - deadlines on the order of decades. Jusging by what both Rogozin and, in person, Ryazanskyi preach, Russia sticks to the old government-only iterative LEO-Moon base-Mars paradigm.

The most concrete you have is this nuclear-electric tug, for which Keldysh researches droplet radiators.

freezing_module.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 1:10 PM, DDE said:

From swords to very sharp ploughshares.

In unrelated news, the construction company for the Angara pad in Vostochnyi, likely selected due to being heavily embedded with the government of Tatarstan (spreading the pork is evidently not a problem for Russia’s largest majority-Muslim republic), is on the verge of a forced bankruptcy, creating risk of a contractor change.

https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3826862

Disclaimer: I am not Anatoly Zak.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/vostochny-angara-2018.html#1213

Yeah, no surprise there. Every government-run program of any significant funding size is like a sieve. Before monies reach the launching pad, half of them (in best case) disappears into a labirynth of departments, secretaries, comisions et ceatera. As we say in Poland: "All the friends and relatives of the Rabbit will be well fed." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_(Winnie-the-Pooh) :P

7 hours ago, Scotius said:

Yeah, no surprise there. Every government-run program of any significant funding size is like a sieve. Before monies reach the launching pad, half of them (in best case) disappears into a labirynth of departments, secretaries, comisions et ceatera. As we say in Poland: "All the friends and relatives of the Rabbit will be well fed." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_(Winnie-the-Pooh) :P

*furiouly chews on tongue to avoid making political statement* :sticktongue:

Let me make a political statement: current Russian space agency management is corrupt just as the government. As soon as we get more investigations by the antimonopoly agency and prosecutors office, and management rotation, things will improve. I expect it will take about a decade, based on what changes I've seen since mid-00's.

Edited by Kulebron

8 hours ago, Kulebron said:

by the antimonopoly agency

Well, they might as well go after Russian Railways. Or shoot themselves in the head - same difference. The current course with regards to the space industry is towards a system of government-owned monopolies and monopsonies.