Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

The Fregat explosion in May has snowballed from 65 to 175 fragments.

Also, RIA is reporting it citing Spacetrack directly. Either they actually stole the headline from NASA forums and need a spanking... Or they have a competent spacer on their staff, which I find exceedingly unlikely these days.

https://ria.ru/20200731/1575195105.html

Rogozin has ordered to develop a new winged Buran-like spaceplane instead of Soyuz.

The PTKNP/Federation'Eagle'Oryol spaceship is designed for the lunar flights, so it  will be too expensive to use it as a supply ship for LEO, and the alternative should reduce the cost.

(Originally it was in LEO and lunar versions, ~10+ t and ~20 t, but later both resulted into same 22 t spaceship, which is Moon oriented).

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5f2cc2da9a79471f95d0ed0f

Edited by kerbiloid

Rogozin has constructively criticized the Musk's space activity,

He suggested to not overestimate the Crew Dragon first flight significance and to repeat such Roscosmos achievement like fast travel to ISS.

"... so Crew Dragon has appeared and passed the tests. If throw away all propaganda chaff that they're world leaders... Why are they a leader, at a sudden?
Ten years ago they were not even on horizon, and now they are flying like we are.
Let them now fly as fast as we do. I don't think that Dragon can fly to the ISS in three hours."

He added that both dragon and CST-100 are more roomy and comfy, but just analogs of Soyuz MS.

"It's a step forwards, but just a step. Do we need to create such spacship? Of course, no. We don't need such ship."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://ria.ru/20200807/1575471497.html

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Rogozin has ordered to develop a new winged Buran-like spaceplane instead of Soyuz.

The PTKNP/Federation'Eagle'Oryol spaceship is designed for the lunar flights, so it  will be too expensive to use it as a supply ship for LEO, and the alternative should reduce the cost.

(Originally it was in LEO and lunar versions, ~10+ t and ~20 t, but later both resulted into same 22 t spaceship, which is Moon oriented).

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.rbc.ru/rbcfreenews/5f2cc2da9a79471f95d0ed0f

Full Orion ahead.

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Sounds infinitely less mature than the US Orion tech - for one, no mention of shaped charges. Instead Ivan-Orion is posited as a disposal methid for extant nukes. The author likely omits the role of Sakharov's downfall from an uber-hawk wanting to threaten tbe US with preventive nuclear tsunamis to an exiled anti-nuke activist.

21 minutes ago, DDE said:

Sounds infinitely less mature than the US Orion tech

Spoiler

page0014.jpg

(Strange, I can't recall this issue of TM magazine (Техника - молодёжи 1974-07, страница 14), though I was hunting for it all my schoolhood and gathered almost all 1970s-80s and several 1960s.)

Anyway, there was Kibalchich's projects in XIX, just with powder charges instead of nukes, and without the membranned tungsten jet.

Spoiler

Kibalchich-4.jpg

So, We Can Repeat.

MOSCOW, August 7 - RIA Novosti. Roskosmos will create a Soyuz-LNG launch vehicle with a reusable first stage, which will surpass SpaceX's Falcon 9 in terms of the estimated number of launches, Dmitry Rogozin, general director of Roscosmos, told RIA Novosti.

“To replace Soyuz-2, we are making a methane-fueled rocket. It will initially be created as a reusable rocket and space complex. Not a“ semi-reusable ”, like SpaceX, but reusable,” Rogozin said.

He explained that such a rocket would be capable of 100 flights. SpaceX's Falcon 9 is designed for ten launches.

At the same time, according to Rogozin, Russian engineers of the reusable rocket look at their American colleagues, but try to surpass them, without repeating after them.

But, but, I thought reusability is a PR stunt for investors, funded by Pentagon, and doesn’t work economically at all... 

50 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

But, but, I thought reusability is a PR stunt for investors, funded by Pentagon, and doesn’t work economically at all... 

Scrödinger's Rogozin.

11 hours ago, sh1pman said:

He's aiming at the wrong target. By the time their 100-flight-reusable first stage hits, F9 will have been retired and they'll be competing against reusable first *and* second stages with vastly higher payloads.

49 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

But... I thought he just announced Buran 2.0..?

The only similarity with Buran is that it’s also supposed to be a crewed spaceplane for LEO. But if I understand it correctly, it’ll be more like Dream Chaser. I guess he had to compare it to Buran in his interview because calling it “spaceplane” would cause confusion among general public, while Buran is is well-known thing.

VERY IMPORTANT: All of these ambitious plans, e.g. Orel, spaceplane, reusable methalox Soyuz, Superheavy rocket, Moon lander, etc. first need to be funded by Ministry of Finance. Roscosmos will ask for money for all of these things in the next 2025 Federal Space Program. But the consensus it that 1) MinFin hates everything space related, 2) has cut funding for Roscosmos before, and 3) will most likely do it again. Unlike in USA, space money is controlled by bureaucrats, not politicians. Less pork, but also much less money overall.

Edited by sh1pman

18 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

"... so Crew Dragon has appeared and passed the tests. If throw away all propaganda chaff that they're world leaders... Why are they a leader, at a sudden?
Ten years ago they were not even on horizon, and now they are flying like we are.

Would it be polite to remind him that the Soviet, and later Russian, space programs have been trying to design a successor to the Soyuz since the 1960s? Getting from nothing to something roomier, more powerful, and cheaper than the Soyuz in ten years is certainly displaying more competence than his agency has been able to bring to the table in the entire time since Sergei Korolev died. 

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

So no dev until 2025 at least, and even then probably no dev.

Yeah, SpaceX, Dynetics and ULA needn't worry.

Before 2025 they have to complete Vostochny cosmodrome, heavy Angara-5M and -5V, and medium Soyuz-5 rockets. First new cosmodrome and two new rockets since forever.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

The only similarity with Buran is that it’s also supposed to be a crewed spaceplane for LEO. But if I understand it correctly, it’ll be more like Dream Chaser. I guess he had to compare it to Buran in his interview because calling it “spaceplane” would cause confusion among general public, while Buran is is well-known thing.

VERY IMPORTANT: All of these ambitious plans, e.g. Orel, spaceplane, reusable methalox Soyuz, Superheavy rocket, Moon lander, etc. first need to be funded by Ministry of Finance. Roscosmos will ask for money for all of these things in the next 2025 Federal Space Program. But the consensus it that 1) MinFin hates everything space related, 2) has cut funding for Roscosmos before, and 3) will most likely do it again. Unlike in USA, space money is controlled by bureaucrats, not politicians. Less pork, but also much less money overall.

Is there a Russian version of Elon Musk around?

That may be their only chance to compete with SpaceX NOW rather than later.

Or even if there was or is...  would the ministry of finance block a wealthy businessman from funding it?

I mean compared to the US, it's a good deal more authoritarian over there... from what is shown on TV to how law is carried out.

I think ROSCOSMOS would love if Elon shifted his space venture to Russia... but that is unlikely to happen.

Edited by Spacescifi

7 hours ago, RCgothic said:

By the time their 100-flight-reusable first stage hits, F9 will have been retired and they'll be competing against reusable first *and* second stages with vastly higher payloads.

By the time it hits, it will have fusion drives.

What will you say then, Elon Musk?