Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/752321

There can be three leaking cracks in Zvezda module.

The cosmonauts tried to cover the located leaking area with plastic films to ensure that it's exactly the leaking place.
But it is not possible to put the films everywhere, and there's probably a third one.

Also they tried to examine the suspicious place with a microscope and found some hull defects but (a quote) "These aren't the defects we are looking for."

They keep searching.

44 minutes ago, DDE said:

Makeyev and a few universities are developing an SSTO with a planned first flight in 2028. Energomash is tangentially involved. This time they're marketing it for asteroid defence.

Sounds like our old friend Korona just won't die.

Reveal hidden contents

russkiy-kosmos-proekt-korona-i-drugie-ra

https://ria.ru/20210212/raketa-1597202600.html

That’s the dumbest pitch for a rocket that can only go to low orbit ever. 

On 2/26/2021 at 4:49 AM, sh1pman said:

That’s the dumbest pitch for a rocket that can only go to low orbit ever. 

The wiki I found insisted that the Korona DDE mentioned was a VTOL SSTO, presumably to fool the same type of people who fell for DC-X.  No idea if the "real" plans for either involved switching to two stages or not, but while it might be possible to get to LEO with one stage (and absolutely minimal cargo), the "vertical landing" would involve a lot of lithbraking (or possibly hydrobraking for the DC-X).

Soyuz 2.1b/Fregat-M with Arktika-M No.1 observation sat launching from Baikonur into a highly elliptical polar orbit in a little less than 15 minutes. Propellant is loaded, pad cleared, and there are no indications that we won't get a launch today.

And we did get a launch, though it was foggy enough that past the launch there wasn’t much of the flight to see. However, they did show a view of the launch pad and I thought it was funny to see that some four minutes after the launch there were already people mulling about the pad. I haven’t seen enough Soyuz launches to get used to that. The animation was fancy, but so fancy I doubt it was a data-driven visualisation. I suppose that impacted me a little more cause I can’t speak Russian.

Edited by RyanRising

16 hours ago, wumpus said:

The wiki I found insisted that the Korona DDE mentioned was a VTOL SSTO, presumably to fool the same type of people who fell for DC-X.  No idea if the "real" plans for either involved switching to two stages or not, but while it might be possible to get to LEO with one stage (and absolutely minimal cargo), the "vertical landing" would involve a lot of lithbraking (or possibly hydrobraking for the DC-X).

No, SSTO VTOL all the way. Somewhere down this thread is an infographic that shows they used to have a very Atlas-like stage-and-a-half, followrd by attempts to use SRBs or a turbojet first stage.

%D0%AD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%8B_%D1%80%D0

2 hours ago, DDE said:

What particle will they take on next?

Japan's H-series rocket (H-I, H-II, H-IIA, H-IIB, H3) is actually named after the initialism of Hydrogen, which is the fuel they use. The other line of rockets (the fully-self-developed SRB ones) take a series of letters.

10 minutes ago, DDE said:

There is no elementary particle which is still not a rocket.

P.S.
They should name lateral boosters after hyperons.

Xi-zero-hyperon/ Anti-xi-zero-hyperon (at the opposite side)
Xi-minus-hyperon/ Anti-xi-minus-hyperon (at the opposite side)
Xi-plus-hyperon/ Anti-xi-plus-hyperon (at the opposite side)

So, six blocks - six hyperons.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 2/28/2021 at 1:49 AM, DDE said:

No, SSTO VTOL all the way. Somewhere down this thread is an infographic that shows they used to have a very Atlas-like stage-and-a-half, followrd by attempts to use SRBs or a turbojet first stage.

%D0%AD%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%BF%D1%8B_%D1%80%D0

is the grey thing in between the fuel and oxidizer tanks supposed to be a payload? How is it going to be deployed in flight?

https://www.interfax.ru/world/754103

The air pressure in the isolated transfer chamber keeps depressing.

ISS pressure = 729 mm of Hg

The isolated transfer chamber:
Feb 26 = 728 mm
Mar 01 = 459 mm
Mar 02 = 450 mm

Yesterday they had a drill (a training training, not a drilling drill) with a metal plate arrived from the Earth, following the videotutorial from the on-ground team.

This week they are going to patch the first crack in the hull. This will take five days.
They will drill it with a drill (a drilling drill, not a training) in several places around the crack, use alcohol, then cover it with thermoplast, then seal it with a
(idk, what is called by interfax "герметалл" / "hermetal", but probably it's "hermetic metal") patch.

NASA and a number of private Western organizations have conducted numerous studies of interstellar space travel. Did any organization or person in the USSR/Russia ever conduct such a study?

I am curious because I plan to build a Soviet interstellar spacecraft when KSP2 eventually comes out and I wonder whether it will need to be completely fictional or if there is something it can be based on.

So far English Google has yielded no results.

No projects have ever been published or mentioned.

It's known that in 1960s they were designing Orion analogs, ПК-3000 and ПК-5000 (from "Piloted Complex, 3 000 / 5 000 t of launch mass").

Spoiler

1063803942.jpg

To the right - it's standing on the orange-brown launchpad, the blue lateral cylinders are droppable tanks with liquid fuel for launch boosters, small cups at the sides are the nozzles of the liquid-fuel launch boosters.

As you can see, the pysher plate is hemispherical, so probably it's a very early concept, who knows.

They were not interstellar, just interplanetary.

Height of PC-3000 /-5000 - 60 / 75 m correspondingly.
Launch mass - 3 000 / 5 000 t, including 800 / 1 300 t of payload.
Pusher plate diameter 15..25 m.

A new launch site at Far North.

https://pikabu.ru/story/v_kosmos_verkhom_na_atomnom_vzryive_vzryivoletyi_sssr_i_ssha_5350553

http://www.cosmoworld.ru/spaceencyclopedia/publications/index.shtml?zhelez_30.html

According to

https://p-i-f.livejournal.com/16075045.html

there was an interstellar project 10403.891 "Astra" since early 1980s till late 1980s, but absolutely no actual details are known about it.

(Pay attemtion that the pictures at this link are a pure fantasy of artist who definitely have never seen it, so they have no relation to this project).

It was started when first exoplanets had been discovered as an attempt to get to there before US in case if they try to land on a habitable exoplanet.

The project was a preliminary study, not an engineering project.

Basically, it would be able to reach a star inside 10 ly radius in 100..200 years of flight.
A one-way generation ship with population ~100 of both sexes (a pathetically archaic thinking, lol).

No return, a colony should be founded on the habitable planet.

The project was using only existing technologies, with possible update of the plans on future discoveries.

Acceleration - magnetic reflection of nuclear blast products.
Braking with magnetic chute (see Forward, R. L., "Roundtrip Interstellar Travel Using Laser-Pushed Lightsails")..

According to this article, it would use low-yield nukes or thermonukes and reflect their products and light radiation with a thick plate and a magnetic trap.

At the aft there should be a huge superconducting ring to generate a magnetic mirror.
The magnetic reflector should be stabilized by rotation.
A nuke would be blasted in its focus every 0.2 .. 0.5 s.

The plasma and the light would be reflected and thrown back.

A radprotection screen would weight ~800 t and was the heaviest part of the ship.
It would be protecting from both engine and space radiation.
(Idk how, but probably after acceleration the ship would be flyng aft first. This would also explain the words about "plate and magnetic mirror")

Max cruise speed 15 000 .. 30 000 km/s  (0.05 .. 0.1 c).

Theoretical ISP limit of fission nukes ~200 000 s, of fusion thermonukes ~400 000 s.

The ship would carry 320 000 nukes in 8 revolver-type drums. Empty drums should be jettisoned.

Powerplant - 4 long-term nuclear reactors with enough fuel for a 100 year flight.

The ship should be assembled in orbit, out of modules lifted by Energy and then delivered to high  orbit with a nuke tug.
A heavy orbital station like Mir would be built as the builders house.

After the assembling, the ship would be delivered to the (unclear) Venusian / near-Venus  orbit for gravitational maneuver during acceleration.

The project had been developed in 1989 but cancelled for obvious reasons. Most of project data got buried in archives.