Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rbc.ru%2Ftechnology_and_media%2F26%2F07%2F2021%2F60fed30f9a794750d8812f2e&sandbox=1

Pirs has successfully reached the underwater stationary orbit near Wellington, joining the Pacific satellite constellation.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

No, the grapple fixture is there :) this specific airlock module is currently attached on the side of rassvet  :) (Which was launched by space shuttle)

this poor thing waited Nauka for nearly 11 years ! 

once the european arm (launched with nauka) is operationnal, one of the operations will be to move it from rassvet to nauka :)

you can see it on rassvet pictures ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rassvet_(ISS_module)

It might be the cynical part of my brain talking, but I can't help but wonder: if something as basic, yet critical, as a main engine failure passed unseen by QC, is it really wise to hook this thing up to the ISS? What else can be deadly wrong with it that the quality control didn't catch?

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

It might be the cynical part of my brain talking, but I can't help but wonder: if something as basic, yet critical, as a main engine failure passed unseen by QC, is it really wise to hook this thing up to the ISS? What else can be deadly wrong with it that the quality control didn't catch?

I doubt that really came from your cynical half, That's a concern I've been having.

Nauka was fun to laugh at but now that we've sacrificed a module for this thing it's becoming serious.

I hope the docking and subsequent events are uneventful, anyhow Il be on vacation when all the Boeing/Nauka stuff goes down so I hope I don't return to a disaster:/

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Seems to be working now.

6 hours ago, Codraroll said:

As far as we know, currently just the cruise propulsion and the docking systems had any malfunction.

Both will be of no use after docking.

Also we can remember Salyut-7 (uncharged, then restored), Priroda (had a power system malfuction before docking), Spektr (rammed and was leaking), Kvant (Igla docking system malfunction, missed 10 m from the station on the first attempt).

So, it's okay.

Still it's strange that the maneuvering takes so many ignitions, while similar Mir modules needed just 3 days.

Looks like actually they run on DPS.

5 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Nauka was fun to laugh at but now that we've sacrificed a module for this thing it's becoming serious.

Now it will be her turn to laugh.

From RT:

…the Russian Defense Ministry released a series of statements that made for an interesting backdrop for MAKS. The first featured a video of a successful test launch of a Zircon anti-ship hypersonic cruise missile.

Talk at the show suggested there would be another launch in the near future – this time, at the maximum range (1000+ km), and the target would be an aircraft carrier.

Given that “Admiral Kuznetsov” is currently in repairs until 2022, what (and which country’s) aircraft carrier are they going to use as a practice target? Will the carrier crew be notified in advance, or will there be a surprise test?

13 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

From RT:

Given that “Admiral Kuznetsov” is currently in repairs until 2022, what (and which country’s) aircraft carrier are they going to use as a practice target? Will the carrier crew be notified in advance, or will there be a surprise test?

It will be outside of 

13 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

maximum range (1000+ km)

for safety reasons.

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/781308

Nauka has performed the last orbit correction on its way to new home.

Also, EVA will not required. So, the extinguishers stay where they are.

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

The movie of my schoolhood.

Spoiler

4ee5eb80-dc65-401e-9e2d-cf39e84a46d6.jpg

(The episodes with the yacht and with the nuke warhead reloading. Watched the movie about 8 times for them. Happily, now I have KSP.)

Edited by kerbiloid