Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

14 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Anyway, imagine these things rolling autonomously on the Moon in groups. Providing anti-terrorist security I guess.

Just a heavily armed anti-literring service.

14 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Asking for a friend… by the name of Ivan Connorski… :wacko:

14 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Poland can't into doesn't have nukes.

We wouldn't recognize "Ivan Volkov"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connor_(surname)

Of course, that would be the point. Don't think USG would leave a second-generatiom deatic terrorist alone even on foreign soil.

Edited by DDE

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

The link has a bit more context even though it just leads into a paywall:

In 2021, Russian efforts to build a replacement for the Soyuz crew vehicle continued inching forward, however, the future transport lost its ride to the lunar orbit in the foreseeable future, as limited funds forced Roskosmos to increasingly re-focus on near-Earth space.

By "limited funds" I guess Zak partially refers to this story:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/10/putin-slashes-russias-space-budget-and-says-he-expects-better-results/

Russia plans to slash funding for spaceflight activities during the coming three-year period, from 2022 to 2024. The cuts will come to about 16 percent annually, several Russian publications, including Finanz.ru, report. (These Russian-language articles were translated for Ars by Rob Mitchell.)

For 2022, the state budget for space activities will be set at 210 billion rubles ($2.9 billion), a cut of 40.3 billion rubles ($557 million) from the previous year. Similar cuts will follow in subsequent years. The most significant decreases will be in areas such as “manufacturing-technological activities" and "cosmodrome development." Funding for "scientific research and development" was zeroed out entirely.

ULA no longer buys RD-180 engines, and NASA doesn't use the Soyuz taxi service (at an annual cost of $400 million, or one-eighth of the budget) nearly as much as they used to, so the income streams for Roscosmos seem to be dwindling a bit. Its future prospects don't look too solid at this point, I'm afraid.

Then again, maybe they can keep going like normal if Rogozin makes some cuts to the "dachas and luxury cars" portions of the budget.

Edited by Codraroll

7 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Then again, maybe they can keep going like normal if Rogozin makes some cuts to the "dachas and luxury cars" portions of the budget.

That would threaten the deadlines, though. Gotta have those dachas, whether or not the boss has approved the siphoning of personnel and resources.

Here’s a thought, Rogozin has been very vocal about reusable Amur rocket plans, and allegedly ordered to stop Yenisei SHLV development to change it to methane and make reusable as well. But 2-3 years ago he was very skeptical about reuse and its economic value. Does he finally understand that “use same rocket many times = need spend less money” in a situation when American money stream ended?

7 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Does he finally understand that “use same rocket many times = need spend less money”

There are many things able to be washed and reused, though this usually doesn't make sense.

Nobody has seen clear numbers of the reusability sustainability, so it's just a question of belief to the moment.

To learn the possibility doesn't mean to use it in business, it's a skill.

7 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Here’s a thought, Rogozin has been very vocal about reusable Amur rocket plans, and allegedly ordered to stop Yenisei SHLV development to change it to methane and make reusable as well. But 2-3 years ago he was very skeptical about reuse and its economic value. Does he finally understand that “use same rocket many times = need spend less money” in a situation when American money stream ended?

I think it's entirely possible that there was some sort of a behind-the-scenes shift in opinion, either a study or successful lobbying by someone with a methalox focus, whereas Rogozin merely has unshakable faith in the shaky Party line.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

lobbying by someone with a methalox focus

Hahaha, I imagine suitcases full of cash from KBKhA and RSC Progress. “When corruption leads to progressive things”.

But on a serious note, I remember him saying that it makes a lot of sense to make reusable side boosters on a super heavy rocket very long time ago. Possibly on a 2018 lecture in MSU that I went to. Clearly there’s some kind of math in his head where reusability DOES make sense.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, sh1pman said:

Honestly I think that making the eventual Soyuz V more like the  reusable boosters for Uragan.

(Soyuz V is basically Zenit anyways, although that wouldn't be a trivial modification)

4 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Honestly I think that making the eventual Soyuz V more like the  reusable boosters for Uragan.

(Soyuz V is basically Zenit anyways, although that wouldn't be a trivial modification)

Stop reading my notes, mate!