Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

A fun fact related to this- the first launch of *a* Japanese person in space was not an astronaut, but TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System) reporter Akiyama Toyohiro. He flew on Soyuz TM-11 to Mir in 1990.

If mean the citizenship, rather than the ethnicity.

OK, so I was checking with one of the r/EnoughMuskSoam types on Twitter and... So, you remember Makeyev's Korona hydrolox SSTO? Well, apparently, they've been able to arrange for a university research program into both an alcohol-oxygen aerospike and the liquid hydrogen-comlatible composites. That's their engine testbed.

max_g480_c12_r4x3_pd20

Edited by DDE

5 hours ago, DDE said:

That's their engine testbed.

Is that braided metal tubing a repurposed toilet tank fill line? That would make a great addition to the legendary shower head fuel injectors. :lol:

Anyways, cool stuff. I love aerospikes.

Edited by SOXBLOX

Possible ASAT test may have caused a debris field. Few unconfirmed details:

Interesting, what kind of rocket was used. If it was indeed an ASAT test, and not the satellite just breaking up by itself.

Edited by sh1pman

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Interesting, what kind of rocket was used. If it was indeed an ASAT test, and not the satellite just breaking up by itself.

A big leap at this point, with strong inentives for both saber-rattling and fake news. I'm at least waiting for someone to check if it's in the probable engagement basket for known sites (Plesetsk, Kapustin Yar). After the Chinese HGV equine excrements spectacle I'm willing to risk having to eat my words.

Edited by DDE

7 hours ago, DDE said:

A big leap at this point, with strong inentives for both saber-rattling and fake news. I'm at least waiting for someone to check if it's in the probable engagement basket for known sites (Plesetsk, Kapustin Yar). After the Chinese HGV equine excrements spectacle I'm willing to risk having to eat my words.

Apparently, the launch from Plesetsk was detected early in the morning.

The target satellite was in 500km orbit, just above ISS, so the cloud of debris will rain through ISS orbit on their way down. Cosmonaut job got much more exciting. Fun guaranteed!

Edited by sh1pman

37 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Apparently, the launch from Plesetsk was detected early in the morning.

The target satellite was in 500km orbit, just above ISS, so the cloud of debris will rain through ISS orbit on their way down. Cosmonaut job got much more exciting. Fun guaranteed!

Yeah, expect the current Fengyun-1C flybys to get mixed in with that. The timing is rather convenient.

I'd say we have a pretty solid case here:

For the benefit of everyone involved, Ikar №39 is the civilian cover name of the satellite. We don't have a third hazard in play.

Really wondering why they cast excrement on the fan like that, and whether this was impromptu or not. India at least pretended to make steps towards debris mitigation.

15 minutes ago, DDE said:

Really wondering why they cast excrement on the fan like that, and whether this was impromptu or not.

Probably because they needed to do a live test of Nudol, and potential debris were of little importance to people who run ASAT development.

But on the bright side, as we can clearly see, the test was successful. So no new tests are needed, right? 

On 11/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, SOXBLOX said:

Is that braided metal tubing a repurposed toilet tank fill line? That would make a great addition to the legendary shower head fuel injectors. :lol:

Looks like this sort of stuff https://www.mcmaster.com/tubing/minimum-temperature~range~~-2114868771616/minimum-temperature~range~~-2115472751408/liquid-nitrogen-hose-with-threaded-fittings/

Probably the toilet tank version is not cryo rated or high pressure rated.

3 hours ago, DDE said:

Really wondering why they cast excrement on the fan like that, and whether this was impromptu or not. India at least pretended to make steps towards debris mitigation.

If I present my comments in the language they are streaming from me right now, I'll get banned from the forum. *deep breath* This was among the most irresponsible things done in space in the recent history, maybe all of history, of space flight.

Keep in mind that general vicinity of debris cloud from 500km impact is guaranteed to cross paths with ISS eventually as their orbits degrade. The odds of an actual impact are still on the low side, and since larger debris are tracked, ISS will likely be moved to avoid the highest risk areas, but the odds that ISS crew will have to deal with puncture holes in the hull in the next few years has gone up by orders of magnitude from this event alone.

6 hours ago, DDE said:

Maybe to study well how to avoid the Kessler syndrome in LEO.
Say, to keep the foreign sat networks safe in case of asatting, to let the worldwide communication and navigation work.
What if several clouds cross the Starlink/OneWeb orbits?

Shooting down a satellite have many similarities to shooting down, say, a FOBS...

What a nonsense.
FOBS is just putting in LEO and deorbiting, not a kinetic intercept.
Or if he means the FOBS intercept, then it's much easier than a ballistic intercept, as FOBS moves predictably.
The whole FOBS theme is really pulled by ears here.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, K^2 said:

This was among the most irresponsible things done in space in the recent history, maybe all of history, of space flight

Well of recent history I agree, but else you're underestimating the 60s. The USAF once sent a few thousand needles in LEO just cause, and remember the "nuking the moon" plans too

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe to study well how to avoid the Kessler syndrome in LEO.
Say, to keep the foreign sat networks safe in case of asatting, to let the worldwide communication and navigation work.
What if several clouds cross the Starlink/OneWeb orbits?

That's like saying "I want to study what being shot feels like, so I'll shoot myself in the leg"

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

FOBS is just putting in LEO and deorbiting, not a kinetic intercept.
Or if he means the FOBS intercept, then it's much easier than a ballistic intercept, as FOBS moves predictably.
The whole FOBS theme is really pulled by ears here.

I think it’s a good possibility. A test to make sure they can intercept a FOBS while it’s in orbit. 

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

I think it’s a good possibility. A test to make sure they can intercept a FOBS while it’s in orbit. 

Question is, whose FOBS?

China is presently making non-statements on the above happening. We also have a semi-official vapid denial from a deputy head of Duma armed forces committee.