Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

46 minutes ago, DDE said:

Question is, whose FOBS?

China is presently making non-statements on the above happening. We also have a semi-official vapid denial from a deputy head of Duma armed forces committee.

From MoD statement: 

(…) The Russian Ministry of Defense is carrying out planned activities to strengthen the defense capability, excluding the possibility of sudden damage to the country's security in the space sector and on the ground by existing and prospective foreign space assets.  On November 15, the Russian Ministry of Defense successfully carried out a test, as a result of which the inoperative Russian spacecraft "Celina-D", which had been in orbit since 1982, was struck. (…)

Maybe they know something and don’t tell.

55 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Maybe they know something and don’t tell.

You ninja'd me. That statement must have come out just after 14:00, rendering all previous comments null.

26 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Now, Lavrov is a far more serious source. Parliamentarians have the decorum and judgement of your average redditor. Really waiting for the rumor mill to start specifying what "strike systems" has the US already deployed in orbit (as per Lavrov).

Spoiler

I'm willing to bet they'll start with X-37B. Again.

Edited by DDE

3 hours ago, DDE said:

So they still need to test MiG-31 missile vs. satellite and a “Peresvet” laser gun vs. satellite. I guess, filling orbit with shrapnel is a way to defend against FOBS. 

I think the best way to do the test and not anger anyone is to blow up a Progress after it finishes its stay on the station. Undock, lower the orbit to 200x200 km, fire the missile. Lowest risk of getting a debris that can hit the station or anything useful.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think the best way to do the test and not anger anyone is to blow up a Progress after it finishes its stay on the station. Undock, lower the orbit to 200x200 km, fire the missile. Lowest risk of getting a debris that can hit the station or anything useful.

Spoiler

FERme3nVEAAD1ru?format=jpg&name=medium

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

This tweet cannot be truth as Russia was never planning to put the weapons into space.

So, probably he was talking about some absolutely peaceful countermeasures.

When Andropov is the one introducing a unilateral moratorium, you know you've crossed all the lines.

Anyway, just had a bit of a heated argument.

https://www.n2yo.com/?s=13552

Ru MoD never admitted to shooting down Kosmos 1408. It did shoot down a Tselina-D launched in 1982, one of four.

And since the above website seems to be projecting from the latest NORAD TLIs as if it's still around, while also listing a "Kosmos 1408 Debris (decayed)", I had to deal with a loud claim that the Pentagon and everyone else couldn't even correctly identify the destroyed satellite.

11 minutes ago, DDE said:

What I’d really love to see is a Peresvet laser gun vs. satellite test. Melting a sat is better than blowing it up into a thousand pieces!

Because the 40k-style Main Cathedral of the Armed Forces needs to be protected with anti-orbital laser batteries.

Edited by sh1pman

6 hours ago, sh1pman said:

What I’d really love to see is a Peresvet laser gun vs. satellite test. Melting a sat is better than blowing it up into a thousand pieces!

A laser gun either blinds the target optics, or evaporates a tiny piece of it to burst it with the evaporated metal expansion (and cause a cloud of debris, too).

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

A laser gun either blinds the target optics, or evaporates a tiny piece of it to burst it with the evaporated metal expansion (and cause a cloud of debris, too).

The Laser Broom. I believe Sandia Labs at one point approched Russian optronics experts with such a suggestion... and there is an ongoing weaponization effort at one of the space lidar facilities in Altai.

So, quite possibly, soon™.

@sh1pman

Edit: oh, not Altai https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46485.0

7 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

People who argue like Stefanovich don't get punched in the face enough.

Yay. That attitude definitely doesn't encourage more missiles and more blasted satellites.