Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

48 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Which itself is basing its article, even more hilariously, on quotes from Channel One TV host Dmitry Kiselyov, who is of course a renowned expert on space satellites and anti-satellite missiles.

Admittedly the video didn't load so I wasn't excluding the possibility the content is horrifically misrepresented.

Of course, earlier this week ZvezdaTV has informed us that Zircon has a velocity of Mach 9, or 10 km/h, so being closer to the military is no guarantee.

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Of course, earlier this week ZvezdaTV has informed us that Zircon has a velocity of Mach 9, or 10 km/h, so being closer to the military is no guarantee.

I had to read that twice, just to be sure. Ouch. :D

13 hours ago, DDE said:

Not mentioned. But that would be one heck of a sight to see, especially since IIRC India is also onboard with Artemis.

That comes from a White House fact sheet, I haven’t seen any evidence to support it.

Interestingly, a Google search of “India Artemis program” in English yields two opinion articles, written from an economic perspective- one arguing it will benefit India, the other claiming it will shackle India to an ambitious project it is not ready to undertake. Both eliminate joining the ILRS as an option due to the presence of China.

Oh, look who's in New Delhi. Thought ol' baldy flew off to Sochi and left us plebs to shovel snow.

An agreement on space is Item 1 on the list: http://kremlin.ru/supplement/5746

Found the Russian draft from a year ago. Nothing concrete. It's a technology transfer and launch services framework.

https://docs.cntd.ru/document/565964982

A couple of questions-

1. Why have there been claims made (if I recall correctly, by engineers or managers from UAC itself) that the MiG-41 (MiG-31 replacement) will be able to "fly in space"? Mistranslation combined with hyping by Western media? "Vague-ified" reference to carrying an ASAT missile?

2. I saw a tweet from Anton Shkaplerov about an island off the coast of Mexico. He described how it is protected by law, and apart from "a few military objects" the island is untouched. This was an English tweet. I am curious, is the use of the word "object" to describe what in English would probably be called a "(military) facility" inherent to the Russian language or does it come from Soviet security practices?

I may be completely mistaken about that word, but I feel like I recall seeing the term used in that way elsewhere too.

7 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Planting cherries today
Lost my best piece of spades.
Was bent from the ice.

アンガラは飛べない

なぜかを聞けば

予算がない

Angara won't fly

If you ask why

There is no budget

----

Fun fact, while haiku is very strict, in modern day casual senryu (which also uses the 5-7-5 structure) it is acceptable to add extra on (音) or syllables. I've fudged mine to such an extent however that it is questionable whether it even qualifies as that.

Also, apologies for the double post. I tried to edit the last one but it wouldn't let me add a quote.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

30 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

I may be completely mistaken about that word, but I feel like I recall seeing the term used in that way elsewhere too.

объект

object, facility, subject, objective, entity, operand

Where we're familiar with it is:

The "Ob'yekt" [Object] nomenclature was assigned to designs and prototypes of experimental Soviet and Russian tanks and other land combat systems. (globalsecurity.org)

I believe "проект" [Project] is used for naval prototypes.

4 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

that the MiG-41 (MiG-31 replacement) will be able to "fly in space"

Not "fly in space" but "perform operations in space", which doesn't mean necessary "flight in".

while haiku is very strict, in modern day casual senryu (which also uses the 5-7-5 structure) it is acceptable to add extra on (音) or syllables. I've fudged mine to such an extent however that it is questionable whether it even qualifies as that.

A haiku traditionally contains a kigo, a word or phrase that symbolizes or implies the season of the poem

The "ice" is, the "budget" isn't, it's yearly.

is the use of the word "object" to describe what in English would probably be called a "(military) facility" inherent to the Russian language or does it come from Soviet security practices?

"Object" is a "thing", but cultured. No connection with the object type.

10 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The "ice" is, the "budget" isn't, it's yearly.

If this was a joke, lol, if this was not- yes, for yours, but mine is senryu, which does not have such a requirement.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senryū

As I noted though my number of on/syllables is rather fudged so whether it qualifies as a 5-7-5 poem anyways would be dubious among professional circles and people who are strict about that.

2 minutes ago, SunlitZelkova said:

As I noted though my number of on/syllables is rather fudged so whether it qualifies as a 5-7-5 poem anyways would be dubious among professional circles and people who are strict about that.

I'm aware of 5-7-5, but had to follow the English examples from wiki.

8 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

1. Why have there been claims made (if I recall correctly, by engineers or managers from UAC itself) that the MiG-41 (MiG-31 replacement) will be able to "fly in space"? Mistranslation combined with hyping by Western media? "Vague-ified" reference to carrying an ASAT missile?

ZvezdaTV chose to describe MiG-31's stratospheric flights beyond the Armstrong Line as "flights into near space".

Spoiler

I guess the hype kinda snowballed from there.

Salyut 7 has me confused. When the LES jettisons for the Soyuz, does the fairing get jettisoned at the same time? The animation for the Soyuz MS-20 launch had the LES jettison and then afterwards the fairing was (which of course is what actually happened).

Or does it vary by variant?

2 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Salyut 7 has me confused. When the LES jettisons for the Soyuz, does the fairing get jettisoned at the same time? The animation for the Soyuz MS-20 launch had the LES jettison and then afterwards the fairing was (which of course is what actually happened).

Or does it vary by variant?

Old variant: the tower gets jettisonned, then the shroud halves do.

Modern variant: additional solid motors are attached in the shroud to be used when the tower had been jettisonned.
So, the tower gets jettisonned; then, after a while, the shroud halves including additional engines get jettisonned, too.

Edited by kerbiloid