Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Prior to this, how seriously was Russia considering extending their ISS mission to 2030?

I am curious whether this is a case of “the Russians bowing out early” or “the other international partners choosing to go on longer”.

Unless this is related to current events…

As it was previously said by the Russian officials, in the next two years they were expecting further equipment failures leading to inability of the Russian segment to keep functioning properly, and making to leave the ISS chat anyway.

So, probably it will keep working while it's possible. A year, or two, or five.

Until the cracks get too wide and physically separate the segment from ISS, when there will be no difference if it's docked or not.

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Prior to this, how seriously was Russia considering extending their ISS mission to 2030?

I recall several waves of such publications. This isn't a new or unexpected decision. Definitely at least as old as the cracks saga... but probably not older than 2014.

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Drilling and then blaming the technicians at baikonur.

Failing to make any meaningful quality control for lack of funds (to the point Nauka very nearly launched without insulation and a Proton lifted off with a DUS mounted upside down, not to mention phobos-grunt and similar embarrassing QC failures) and then blaming an astronaut for the sole reason that she was a woman*

Well, here's to the end of the Russian crewed space program, I guess. Given how Orel has fared over the past decade, and the general state of things, there's no way in heck they can have space station hardware flying by 2024.  Without access to the ISS, there's literally nowhere to go. The Chinese space station flies at a too low inclination, and the Soyuz is too cramped for any meaningful orbital crew activities to be conducted in it. The remaining option is to hitch a ride with the Chinese, I guess, but that would require launching on Chinese vessels from China, possibly a rideshare with a Chinese mission, where the mission language, to put it like this, probably won't be Russian. 

4 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Given how Orel has fared over the past decade

Currently the supply ships are Soyuz and Progress.

No need in Oryol to get in LEO, and it's at least a decade till the lunar flights get required.

4 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Without access to the ISS, there's literally nowhere to go.

Some country just had a decade rest from its own spaceflights, iirc.

But keep hoping that Starship will ever fly, or LOP-G/Orion get to the halo orbit.

48 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

That's the pesky "after 2024" bit I was wondering about.

Interesting how 2028 has also been floated as approximate best-case timeline for ROSS hub launch.