Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

What are the chances 2 vehicles withthe same cooling system got stuck with micrometeorites?

Just now, Beccab said:

Micrometeorites have decided to have revenge on Roscosmos and will only hit the cooling systems on Soyuz service modules

indeed

Alternately...

35 minutes ago, Beccab said:

And now it's confirmed

Then it makes things easier, as it's a recurring error rather than a random one.

P.S.
Meanwhile, Roscosmos has performed 100 successful launches in a row, but of course it's a not interesting, dull thing .

(As you can see (on TV), it's more important to have reliable launch vehicles able to deliver payload.)

P.P.S.
Another interesting thing. 
If Katya tells the truth, maybe it will help to find and neutralize the leak not only in a coolaing contour, but also in Roscosmos itself, talking too much.

(Contacts, contacts...)

Edited by kerbiloid

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Micrometeorites have decided to have revenge on Roscosmos and will only hit the cooling systems on Soyuz service modules

We have to entertain another, very familiar possibility.

*beat*

The ULA Sniper.

Anyway...

https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2023/02/11/international-space-station-operations-update-crew-continues-normal-activities/

As per NASA, the internal hatch is open. This indicates it is an external leak. It is also easily reconciled with Roscosmos statement: you'd want to open the hatch if the leak isn't internal.

Edited by DDE

I'd also like to highlight how, much like the MS-9 air leak, this issue had a curious way of manifesting with a very significant delay. That's an ill-advised approach to sabotage due to its unpredictability - any half-***ed seal you apply might actually last for the whole flight.

Doesn't mitigate the risk of the culprit being identified (after the Yaskin fiasko, I imagine no-one who's ever been near a Soyuz is allowed to ever cross the border), but does increase the chance the sabotage efforts don't pan out.

Edited by DDE

Occam's razor.  I'd look for why the cooling system might be more exposed or more vulnerable to micrometeorite damage or perhaps a manufacturing weakness that looks like micrometeorite damage after failure maybe.   Sabotage seems highly unlikely.  The cooling system is probably pressurized refrigerant, so in vacuum in orbit the pressure difference and temp extremes and service durations may be beyond what the manufacturer is testing for currently on earth because of some corner cases not considered

Also, I decided to look if NASA has publicly concurred with the Roscosmos party line. It doesn't seem that they have. This is presently what amounts to their final word:

A robotic inspection of the suspected leak area was completed December 18, using cameras on the Canadarm2 robotic arm. A small hole was observed, and the surface of the radiator around the hole showed discoloration. Roscosmos is evaluating the imagery to determine if this hole could have resulted from micrometeoroid debris or if it is one of the pre-manufactured radiator vent holes

1 minute ago, Beccab said:

To add to that: 

Hey, if they did, at least everyone was in the same boat.

NASA had officially dismissed the Geminids as the culprits. That's about it.

12 minutes ago, darthgently said:

Occam's razor.  I'd look for why the cooling system might be more exposed or more vulnerable to micrometeorite damage or perhaps a manufacturing weakness that looks like micrometeorite damage after failure maybe.

Another option someone bounced around on NASASpaceflight is damage from fairing separation. This too would be fairly replicable, although doesn't quite match the visual description provided by NASA.

19 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I have seen numerous reports that MS-21 lost "cabin pressure" and also numerous reports that it lost "coolant pressure".

Can someone please definitely say which (or both) of those things actually happened?

The most reliable source on this (NASA blog) says there was another leak in the service module's radiators, and the hatch is open (i.e. no loss of cabin pressure)

Gotta be an issue with the cooling system. Bad batch of some part from a subcontractor, perhaps? Something enough below spec that in the space environment it tends to fail after some time interval (day/night cycles, whatever)?

In such a harsh environment it would not take much.

7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I have seen numerous reports that MS-21 lost "cabin pressure" and also numerous reports that it lost "coolant pressure".

The problem is that the original statement was "a depressurization has occurred", full stop. That would cover either scenario. As you can see a page back, I too hadn't immediately jumped to blame the cooling loop.

On 2/11/2023 at 7:20 PM, DDE said:

Also, I decided to look if NASA has publicly concurred with the Roscosmos party line. It doesn't seem that they have. This is presently what amounts to their final word:

It's not entirely controversial to say that Russia has certain challenges when it comes to quality control and accurate reporting of issues up and down the chain of command. If this is indeed the cause of these two failures, it is worrying.

But if Roscosmos has been aware of it and still chooses to blame external factors instead of giving NASA an accurate rundown, we're crossing the threshold from worry into something rather more serious. Because that indicates they are willing to sweep some really serious issues under the rug, and it makes you wonder what else may be lying underneath that rug already.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

The staining around the breach is maybe from coolant boil off. 

I'd like to see the hole better.  From that pic it almost looks like the edges are angled outward.  But if the metal were heated and softened enough from an impact, the escaping pressurized coolant might bend the edges outward.  But other than that I'd think a micrometeorite would have the edges angled inward.   Need better pic.  Will be interesting to find it more

3 hours ago, darthgently said:

But other than that I'd think a micrometeorite would have the edges angled inward.

No, it wouldn't. For what it's worth, this does look a fair bit like a hypervelocity impact.

Whipple-shield-concept.png

8-Figure3-1.png

Anyway, Ilya Ovchinnikov posits that this is quite close to where the solar panel hold-down bolts are.

https://t.me/space78125/1558