Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

You remember Korona, the hydrolox rocketship SSTO from Makeyev?

It's still on the books, and only now are they going to start verifying the technological feasibility of this thing via models and mockups.

https://t.me/roscosmos_gk/8941

At that pace, they might launch something before the Sun becomes a red giant...

20 minutes ago, DDE said:

At that pace, they might launch something before the Sun becomes a red giant...

Once the Sun had become a red giant, everyone will be happy that there is Korona to fly away.

If combine with Sarmat, it can be a reusable ICBM.

8 hours ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

So it's SUSIE, but SSTO?

The post-1996 is more closely related to the DC-X, I think. And it started off as an Atlas with Energia engines before switching to a tubojet first stage.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Had it been known previously?

Had. Now they stated this officially.

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Also, ROSS is apparently going to be used in preparation for lunar exploration?!

They said that lunar-capable PTKNP will come together with ROSS.

The ROSS project should be prepared by the end of the year.

On 3/23/2023 at 7:07 PM, DDE said:

22 years ago today, it became a submarine

Mir_on_12_June_1998edit1.jpg

When I was a kid I knew Mir mostly from drawings in news. And it was beautiful. The day I read about it being de-orbited I was sad.

Now, with couple of decades more under my belt and having seen pictures like that and videos from the outside and inside I can only say: what a mess. I mean it worked, it was first to be built in orbit and obviously it is function over looks. But damn, they could have made some different arrangements for all those antennae

14 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20230413_04/

“Russia extends ISS presence to 2028” got reported today. Had it been known previously?

It came about a week after the "Russia set to quit the ISS by 2024" headlines.

14 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Also, ROSS is apparently going to be used in preparation for lunar exploration?!

Well, that was the intent for the ISS as well...

Never had any serious design work behind it, though.

‘Let me show you this,’ he insisted, before I left. A trio of small, beige items came out of a cabinet and were laid out on a cloth. They had been white once, but age had darkened them like bone. Their surfaces were worn, but I could still make out the trace of silver on the engine bells, and the red markings along the fuselage.

‘Toys?’ I said.

He nodded.

‘Playthings. Models made for a child’s amusement.’

‘They are of weapon rockets? Missiles?’

‘Rockets,’ he said. ‘For spaceflight. Don’t look so surprised, Mamzel Raeside. The first steps from Terra were said to have been taken using chemical rockets.’

‘I am aware of history, sir, even though the detail of the oldest eras is lost in the mists. But really? Vehicles this crude?’

He smiled again.

‘I do not think they ever flew,’ he said. ‘I think these are simplified models of possible machines. A primitive idea of flight. But I show them to you because of their age. Your employer is very fond of the oldest things.’

‘How old?’ I asked.

‘It can only be estimated,’ he said. ‘They pre-date the ages of Strife and Technology. I think they come from the Pre-System Age, from the first millennium of the Age of Terra.’

‘What? Thirty-eight or thirty-nine thousand years ago?’

‘Perhaps. Vessels like this first took our species into the unknown,’ he said. ‘They first took us Blackwards. The family name behind this business comes from that outward urge.’

‘I think my employer will appreciate these,’ I said. ‘What price do you ask?’

‘I will write it down,’ he said.

‘And the markings on the side of the rocket ships,’ I asked. ‘The letters in red? What does C.C.C.P. mean?’

‘No one knows that,’ he said. ‘No one remembers any more.’

Dan Abnett, Pariah

My friend was working MCC for that 3rd longest Russian spacewalk last night—7 hours, 55 minutes. (friend was at MCC from yesterday morning til OMG-thirty this morning, he texted me at 5:30 am Houston time, lol).

OTD 50 years ago, the operators of Lunokhod 2 scooped up regolith with the solar panel, which would lead to mission loss via overheating the following lunar night.

screenshot_20220412-174756_yandex.jpg

Edited by DDE

(Tries again to imagine how could one dig the ground with almost vertical solar panel at the very top.)

(It was moving retrograde, so the concave side of the panel would be looking down.
Its cruise speed ~ 1 km/h, so unlikely there was a dust storm from the wheels.)