tater

Russian Launch and Mission Thread

Recommended Posts

Trying to watch the launch was hard.... first not found a stream, then the link in the forum doesn't work and then watch it 50s too late:/

Hopefully they get connection again, would be bad to lose a satellite and cube-sats due to communication issues..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aww. :(

Note to self, don't jinx it next time.

So, we're looking at the stage pointing the wrong way. Like in KSP when you forget to "control from here" on the forward facing part, but probably not as extreme as that, and it is awfully similar to the 2014 failure @PB666 referenced.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

 

And the sattelite was called "Meteor."

Ba-Dum-Tiss!

A very appropriate name!

I still blame the bishop though. He probably only consecrated the Soyuz rocket and skipped the Fregat. The machine spirit became unhappy, and that's how you get failed launches.

Edited by sh1pman
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Aww. :(

Note to self, don't jinx it next time.

So, we're looking at the stage pointing the wrong way. Like in KSP when you forget to "control from here" on the forward facing part, but probably not as extreme as that, and it is awfully similar to the 2014 failure @PB666 referenced.

Hit "X" key, set course to retrograde, hope your reaction wheels are zeroed out and ready to go, hit "Y".  Then of course your are free to sip your vodka.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lavochkin now says someone literally forgot to program the nav system for Vostochny... despite Fregat already flying out of two locations on a regular basis.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/meteor-m2-1.html#culprit

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

Makes one wonder if a sensor didn’t get jammed in upside-down again....

So... yeah.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DDE said:

Lavochkin now says someone literally forgot to program the nav system for Vostochny... despite Fregat already flying out of two locations on a regular basis.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/meteor-m2-1.html#culprit

So... yeah.

So it had wrong inclination settings it seems? Looks like it tried to “correct” its inclination instead of burning prograde. What a stupid way to botch a launch.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DDE said:

Lavochkin now says someone literally forgot to program the nav system for Vostochny... despite Fregat already flying out of two locations on a regular basis.

 

I think their insurance companies are going to do quite a bit of yelling at someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PB666 said:

I think their insurance companies are going to do quite a bit of yelling at someone.

At this point, I really wonder why Sogaz and Ingosstrakh aren’t more involved with the manufacturers. How hard would it be to get TS-CI clearance to get inspectors onto the factory floor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sh1pman said:

and skipped the Fregat.

Fregat is on the very top of the rocket...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is surprising that the reason for the failure came out so quickly. I would expect to learn this much later or ... never. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nightside said:

It is surprising that the reason for the failure came out so quickly. I would expect to learn this much later or ... never. 

TBH none of the above is to any degree official. They’ll still run a formal comission that will rubber-stamp Lavochkin’s admission of guilt five years from now.

Or they’ll designate the programmer a Ukrainian spy. Can’t tell with our guys.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

almost feels like it would be safer going with the trampoline at this point

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strange how a society with state sponsored atheism would turn to magicians one generation later. Lenin probably didn't expect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now