Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Who the hell thought this insulation massacre was a good idea? Does anyone see how much orbital debris this is creating? They already made few thousands particles, largest of them being big as notebooks.

I know they're harmless for ISS and that they will deorbit in few months, but what about stuff passing through the orbital layer like geostationary transfer orbits, or any other artificial satellites (and other large debris) passing through it?

Roskosmos is doing this without proper justification. This is insanity.

I'll try to observe ISS the next few days, those large sheets of Mylar spinning next to the station might be visible as glinting.

4 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Who the hell thought this insulation massacre was a good idea? Does anyone see how much orbital debris this is creating? They already made few thousands particles, largest of them being big as notebooks.

I know they're harmless for ISS and that they will deorbit in few months, but what about stuff passing through the orbital layer like geostationary transfer orbits, or any other artificial satellites (and other large debris) passing through it?

Roskosmos is doing this without proper justification. This is insanity.

I'll try to observe ISS the next few days, those large sheets of Mylar spinning next to the station might be visible as glinting.

Nah, it's not that bad. The sheets are super light for their size and surface area, and will deorbit in a week or two.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Nah, it's not that bad. The sheets are super light for their size and surface area, and will deorbit in a week or two.

It's not just mylar. There's more, and there's a lot of small stuff. Where did you get the "week or two" value from? That seems really off.

3 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

It's not just mylar. There's more, and there's a lot of small stuff. Where did you get the "week or two" value from? That seems really off.

Guessed, based on how light these pieces of foil are.

They have found the hole.

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

He got the sample though. And collected some dust with sandpaper instrument.

Not before a bit almost struck the damned camera. The part of the plug closest to the surface was the most valuable.

1 hour ago, lajoswinkler said:

On the NASA TV stream of the EVA, the mission control narrator said that the debris would reenter "in a day or so".  That seems fairly quick.  Maybe he was just talking about the fiberglass insulation bits.  I'm not sure.

53 minutes ago, SuperFastJellyfish said:

On the NASA TV stream of the EVA, the mission control narrator said that the debris would reenter "in a day or so".  That seems fairly quick.  Maybe he was just talking about the fiberglass insulation bits.  I'm not sure.

Only the lightest flat parts. But there was plenty of thick material torn away. I suppose it's kevlar or something. Still very stupid to produce so much debris.

They were also endangering themselves with potential of piercing the suit, and still are because they're dangling around. All because of one tiny hole.

8 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

but what about stuff passing through the orbital layer like geostationary transfer orbits

Happily unlike KSP they are being quickly slowered by the air drag, and unlike KSP ISS is not orbiting in equatorial plane.

7 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

and there's a lot of small stuff. Where did you get the "week or two" value from?

Once-twice per year they have to raise even ISS orbit.
According to wiki, there are >200 000 pieces and 5 000 t of junk already in orbits up to 2000 km.
So, these several kg don't make space much more dirty.

7 hours ago, Brofessional said:

"We still don't see the hole"

And again: if they had cigarettes, one should just smoke inside, and others easily see the smoke jet from outside.

7 hours ago, DDE said:

"A series of cutting tools and a knife"

Spoiler

unnamed-1.jpgimage002.pngimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnoWlJ1fMIEKIgzHmZkr8

6 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

I so want to see the insulation flapping around as the Soyuz undocks! 

They will use RCS.

Spoiler

wet_dog_01.jpg

P.S.
These pics look like cutting a hunted whale.

P.P.S.
Just realied than "СОЮЗ" looks similar being flipped or rotated.

Rogozin’s recent proclamation is interesting: “the samples will be returned on December 20 and handed over to relevant organs”. Roscosmos isn’t an organ. Its component units are not organs because they’re nominally independent FGUPs. In Russian without a qualifier the term organs means the Alphabet Soup Agencies.

There be ban bait in these waters.

Edited by DDE

12 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

but what about stuff passing through the orbital layer like geostationary transfer orbits, or any other artificial satellites (and other large debris) passing through it?

They can track it down.

And imagine fairings or other dismantled insulation. Also Cubesats. (ISS releases a lot of cubesats.)

I suppose it's already deadly anyway.

Speaking of things that are deadly, I’ve decided to check the history of bladed weapons in spaceflight. It’s a rich one, and the TP-82’s machete stock is nowhere near the pioneer. Apparently Mercury-Atlas was equipped with a knife rated for cutting your way out of the damned capsule.

Edited by DDE

17 minutes ago, DDE said:

Speaking of things that are deadly, I’ve decided to check the history of bladed weapons in spaceflight. It’s a rich one, and the TP-82’s machete stock is nowhere near the first one. Apparently Mercury-Atlas was equipped with a knife rated for cutting your way out of the damned capsule.

Wasn't there a poisoned stiletto 2mm thick?