Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

48 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

The amount of dust/snow on those towers...

It could be recent, and one wouldn't bother cleaning around a vehicle full of UDMH... plus, the Proton appears to blow the snow away quite well.

Roskosmos sues the private space company Dauria and wants the paid money (274*106 RUR) back because two small sats made by Dauria keep silence after getting to LEO (2017.07.14, Soyuz 2.1a/Frigate, 73 sats onboard).

Dauria argues that the sats could be hit by Frigate.

Earlier, in 2014, three Dauria sats had been successfully put into orbit. Two of them faced some technical problems but were repaired and sold to the American company Aquila Space..

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.rbc.ru/business/23/12/2018/5c1f59b59a79476afc79d441?from=main&edit-text=

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Roskosmos sues the private space company Dauria and wants the paid money (274*106 RUR) back because two small sats made by Dauria keep silence after getting to LEO (2017.07.14, Soyuz 2.1a/Frigate, 73 sats onboard).

Dauria argues that the sats could be hit by Frigate.

Earlier, in 2014, three Dauria sats had been successfully put into orbit. Two of them faced some technical problems but were repaired and sold to the American company Aquila Space..

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.rbc.ru/business/23/12/2018/5c1f59b59a79476afc79d441?from=main&edit-text=

On the offensive in the face of speculation that they utterly failed their homework when adding secondary payloads to Fregat?

Classy.

I just looked at the image I posted in that tweet above... Soyuz is a really pretty rocket. My favorite airplane of all time is the Grumman F4F, so I'm maybe not the best judge... or I like things that look like they do the job they're supposed to do, warts and all.

16 hours ago, tater said:

I just looked at the image I posted in that tweet above... Soyuz is a really pretty rocket. My favorite airplane of all time is the Grumman F4F, so I'm maybe not the best judge... or I like things that look like they do the job they're supposed to do, warts and all.

https://goo.gl/images/GJa4Ds

ICBMs incoming.

That was a wannabe ICBM. Just 4+1 pieces in total were on alert status, on the huge opened launchpads, requiring crew of up to 2500 in total, requiring an oxygen plant, up to several hours to prepare, one month of being fueled, with a 2Mt Minuteman-yield warhead at the maximum range (while with 9 times greater total mass).

(Also see this and this for fun).

(That's why the USSR had placed the cruise missiles on Cuba by the price of so much efforts.)

In 1956 Glushko suggested a storable hypergolic R-8 to replace this cryo-thing, but Korolev rejected it, even while Nedelin was +1.

First true useful Soviet ICBM was hypergolic R-16 from Yangel (designed in 1957-1963). It was a proper and fine Titan-class ICBM.

Edited by kerbiloid

Also in Russian space news - ones that I can’t make sense of yet - apparently there’s been a meteor impact large enough to cause a cliff to collapse and block a river in Khabarovsk krai, 70 klicks from the nearest settlement, and no-one noticed for a few days.

There’s footage, and I’ve got no idea why they’re blaming the heavens, or dispatching dosimetrists to ground zero. All we’ve got is the word of a regional bureaucrat, and a blocked river.

I cannot exclude a meteorite and i do not pretend to be right, but that doesn't look like a blast from an impact to me, just like a ubiquitous landslide, maybe triggered by frost (speculation). Some plants are still upright, just displaced on a piece of soil, a typical picture, nothing seems to be visibly broken or torn from an atmospheric blast. Also, there seems to be a visible surface exposed that could speculatively be interpreted as the boundary at which the mobilization took place. But i should never judge geology from afar or even from a picture, i was once told :-)

There is some probability that, if it really was an impact or blast of sorts, there could be satellite data about the atmospheric path or a plume of a stratospheric explosion somewhere.

Edited by Green Baron

@Green Baron

Aaand it looks like we’ve got a piece of very fake news about that “meteorite”. The nearest seismograph station - incidentally owned by a hydroelectric plant affected by the landslide - says “nah”.

Wouldn’t be the first time. Kemerovo authorities fully embraced the yeti rumours.

However, speaking of devastating meteoric descent...

Edited by DDE

Well good people Christmas is coming tomorrow, and not only do you have KSP to look forward to but also everything else. Yet I bring good news and great joy for I am to see in only a few days the landing capsule of Soyuz TMA-19M, or more commonly known as Tim Peake's capsule, part of expedition 46/47 to the ISS in Wales, and this being the first piece of space hardware I've seen, and its Russian, I am very exited. Pictures to come!

6 minutes ago, 4472TJ said:

Well good people Christmas is coming tomorrow, and not only do you have KSP to look forward to but also everything else. Yet I bring good news and great joy for I am to see in only a few days the landing capsule of Soyuz TMA-19M, or more commonly known as Tim Peake's capsule, part of expedition 46/47 to the ISS in Wales, and this being the first piece of space hardware I've seen, and its Russian, I am very exited. Pictures to come!

*Laughs in a Mascaw accent*

13221148-1742070392714307-42141753717155

I’m actually thinking of starting to run tours there. Even have a girlfriend of a friend that could set me up.

Edited by DDE

Well aren't you lucky! Wish I was able to see this stuff more. After finding KSP, I have started to love space travel. Well have a nice Christmas everyone and I should be on sometimes soon after that encounter with TMA-19M. 

7 hours ago, DDE said:

Also in Russian space news - ones that I can’t make sense of yet - apparently there’s been a meteor impact large enough to cause a cliff to collapse and block a river in Khabarovsk krai, 70 klicks from the nearest settlement, and no-one noticed for a few days.

You see, Ivan, when winter is greatest ally, even big space rock is defeated!

3 hours ago, 4472TJ said:

Been there, done that. (Well, not exactly that capsule, but one of them)

Q6NRLPN.jpg

So... S7 Space REALLY wants to top Elon Musk here. Featuring: F9-style reusable rocket, ORBITAL SPACEPORT, nuclear engines, Mars base. It’s all in Russian, but you don’t really need a narrator to understand what’s what.

The rocket isn’t shown as reusable, but they’ve already confirmed that their next rocket will use Falcon 9 return scheme.

Edited by sh1pman