Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

47 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

I'm not sure if it's a mistranslation - do Russian missions have a "warranty period"?

Yes, a warranty period. The product lifespan guaranteed by the manufacturer of the telescope for the customer. 

Edited by kerbiloid

9 hours ago, James Kerman said:

I'm not sure if it's a mistranslation - do Russian missions have a "warranty period"?

Designed mission life. And it’s not particularly long...

Rad-hardened electronics are a massive Achilles’ heel of ours.

Edited by DDE

Alrosa’s Moscow-Baikonur airline has been cancelled; there are no more regular direct flights to and fro, they haven’t survived competion with Aeroflot operating from Kyzyl-Orda.

I am shocked, shocked I say!

29 minutes ago, DDE said:

Alrosa’s Moscow-Baikonur airline has been cancelled; there are no more regular direct flights to and fro, they haven’t survived competion with Aeroflot operating from Kyzyl-Orda.

The future BFR airspaceline: "McGregor - Kzyl-Orda".

Edited by kerbiloid

The first  RD-171MV engine for the newest medium-class rocket Soyuz-5 "Irtysh" is assembled at the Moscow-based "NPO Energomash" and prepares for fire tests. By power it has no equal in the world.

Energia archeotech is back!

With all the delays, inefficiencies and general deterioration of the Russian space program, what do you think it will be like in ten years' time? There doesn't seem to be money for anything, what little there is is either spent inefficiently (see: Vostochny) or just embezzled (see again: Vostochny), the hardware is getting more and more out of date, new hardware is stuck in perpetual development delays (Angara, Federation) and overseas competitors are putting the finishing touches on rockets and capsules that makes anything Russia fields completely obsolete. Will the Russian space program manage to pull itself together and perform on a level similar to what the US is doing, will it continue mostly like today with old (but functional) R-7/Soyuz designs, or will it scale down, i.e. "temporarily" stop its manned spaceflight program?

51 minutes ago, Codraroll said:

With all the delays, inefficiencies and general deterioration of the Russian space program, what do you think it will be like in ten years' time? There doesn't seem to be money for anything, what little there is is either spent inefficiently (see: Vostochny) or just embezzled (see again: Vostochny), the hardware is getting more and more out of date, new hardware is stuck in perpetual development delays (Angara, Federation) and overseas competitors are putting the finishing touches on rockets and capsules that makes anything Russia fields completely obsolete. Will the Russian space program manage to pull itself together and perform on a level similar to what the US is doing, will it continue mostly like today with old (but functional) R-7/Soyuz designs, or will it scale down, i.e. "temporarily" stop its manned spaceflight program?

Well, that's the billion ruble question. Very difficult to answer, because Russian space industry is comprised of many different organizations in very different financial situations. It clearly won't continue as it does today, because the venerable Proton heavy rocket has been retired, and no new ones will be built after the current contracts are fulfilled. This gap is supposed to be filled with Angara-5M and later -5V, and, to a degree, with Soyuz-5. Both of these rockets will need launchpads in Vostochny, and they're also required for the super-heavy super-kerbal Moon rocket, currently scheduled to fly in 2028. So that's the general roadmap. The closest rocket to launch is Soyuz-5, it's basically a Zenit with new engines; the first of these engines was reportedly completed today. So, will it fly? I think it will. Will Angara-5 and Soyuz-5 be competitive on the international launch market? I highly doubt that. But there's going to be a big and tasty local market for them, mostly government and military orders. GLONASS, spy sats, ASATs, inspectors, Sfera, maybe OneWeb, etc. I don't think Roscosmos will have as many launches as US or China, but I expect around 20-25 per year.

As for inefficiency and corruption, well, the new boss seems to have stirred things up a bit. The corporation appears to have a net profit in 2018 for the first time. Really, we'll just have to wait and see. 

Edited by sh1pman

1 hour ago, Codraroll said:

Russia will, most definitely, maintain unmanned orbital launch capability for natsec reasons. That capability need not be competitive economically.

On the economic angle, even geography is against us - as is the ‘state capitalism’ economic paradigm that end up having to borrow its economic growth slogans from Stalin, a system of neither free enterprise not central control. Under these conditions, one should not expect the Russian space industry to be competitive. Indeed, direct state ownership may have benefited it - I think Roscosmos struggles (in a way) with its schizoid position of a taxpayer-backed for-profit corporation, and ends up getting the worst of both worlds.

So, you can clearly see just how deep the problems run. Nor do I think Rogozin’s comments about space being Russia’s religion are in any way off the reservation - maintaining this Soviet-era prestige program is a part of the continuity that provides legitimacy to the current iteration of the Kremlin.

Thus, ending the manned (politically incorrect term appropriate) space program would be another shot in the foot over limited financial gain.

A way to make this acceptable is for everyone else to do it - the hypothesized Inwards Turn. A pessimistic scenario I find reasonable is a world population of tens of billions by mid-XXIst century, with even the titular ethnicities of developed nations beginning to grow explosively, while global warming continues mostly unabated. In this situation, Russia’s going to need every rouble and every bullet to fight off the unsavory contenders for its vast, underpopulated by increasingly habitable territory on a planet descending into fratricidal idiocracy.

In this context, dropping the High Frontier for the Northern Frontier sounds quite prudent.

big_2226.jpg

45 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

maybe OneWeb

OneWeb has been declared a natsec hazard. The FSB will likely veto any launches.

10 minutes ago, insert_name said:

The picture doesn't show up, mind preforming the litany of reuploading?

Judging by your comment, I’ve suceeded in telepathic transfer already.