Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

6 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Well, as a private company, they have no reason to waste time aimlessly. It has to generate profits!

You first mistake is assuming that a company is a hive mind, rather than a bunch of divisions vying for funding.

Your second mistake is assuming that the company is free from political pressures in either direction.

8 minutes ago, DDE said:

Your second mistake is assuming that the company is free from political pressures in either direction.

Should apply some diplomacy. “We are absolutely not trying to steal clients from Roscosmos, no no no! It’s the evil Americanski SpaceX we’re competing against!”

2 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yeahhh... RT is pretty much garbage.

They’re not better or worse than the other clickbait they model themselves on. And nowadays all the “normie” media is equally bad when it comes to space - they just parrot whatever is being fed to them.

You can bet the CNN or BBC coverage would be equally bad had the sides been switched. Hell, remember this?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160713-could-this-be-the-first-nuclear-powered-airliner

Imageboards are the most objective and informative news integrators.
Once anybody posts something pretending, ten others pour buckets of ... criticism and anti-prooflinks on his head.
Also everybody tries to be the first with something unpleasant for the opponents, so the news delay is almost zero.
Great Darwin welcomes this.

As well they teach to treat the others' criticism philosophically,

Also there are cat pictures and lulz.

Am I joking? No.

Edited by kerbiloid

I wonder how much it would take to restore it, if anyone was interested? I know nobody is, but I'm just wondering here... I'm sure the roof collapse doesn't help.

2 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

This needs to be in a video game.

Won't lie, it looks like a screenshot form a video game at first glance. I'm sure some plot could be thought up around this...

7 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Artifacts of an ancient spacefaring civilization.

Actually, this could be a good plot of some kind... now I'm interested in a nonexistent video game.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

2 hours ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

wonder how much it would take to restore it, if anyone was interested? I know nobody is, but I'm just wondering here... I'm sure the roof collapse doesn't help.

Not too long ago, there was a space startup that wanted to rehab it and use it, but I think that was before the roof collapsed. I think this is the second one, never flown, and after a generation of neglect it’s probably beyond salvation no matter how much money one threw at it, sadly. Cheaper to just build a new one from scratch. 

uc03HNk.gif

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

6 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Does it even exist anymore? I thought the roof collapsed on it...

It’s the second, 95% flight-worthy shuttle, alongside a handling mock-up, in the much more robust integration and fueling building.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

AFAIK the wreckage is still there. Russia probably doesn’t have the funds to clean it up

China did. They nabbed the RD-0120 mock-ups as ‘scrap metal’ while Russia and Kazakhstan continued arguing who owns the ship.

Energia-Buran gave us the fantastic RD-170 engine, which has flown about 70 times on zenit launches. And may fly on the soyuz-5 design.

Spawned the RD-180, which has flown about 70 times on atlas V.

Spawned the RD-191 and RD-181 which has flown a couple times each on angara and antares.

Check out the cygnus (antares 230) launch in about 24hrs time at wallops.

Around 150 launches so far.

They are heavy, expensive engines, but the performance is outstanding for kerolox.

For 25 years, they were the best RP-1 sea-level engines money could buy.

(They can't compete with merlins low cost(10%) and superb twr(220%), and raptor looks unbeatable by anything)

4 hours ago, RedKraken said:

Energia-Buran gave us the fantastic RD-170 engine, which has flown about 70 times on zenit launches. And may fly on the soyuz-5 design.

Spawned the RD-180, which has flown about 70 times on atlas V.

Spawned the RD-191 and RD-181 which has flown a couple times each on angara and antares.

Check out the cygnus (antares 230) launch in about 24hrs time at wallops.

Around 150 launches so far.

They are heavy, expensive engines, but the performance is outstanding for kerolox.

For 25 years, they were the best RP-1 sea-level engines money could buy.

(They can't compete with merlins low cost(10%) and superb twr(220%), and raptor looks unbeatable by anything)

In TWR it was always beaten by the NK-33, and the Soviets were always willing to sacrifice it for staged combustion’s higher ISP.

Glushko tried to build a hypergolic full-flow staged combustion engine in the mid-1960s, but Raptor’s cycle broke even his teeth.