Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

Zak’s got two new paywalled articles. Energia-5 now has something approximating asparagus staging, with two of the six strap-ons forming a second stage, and a core with an RD-180 - a very unexpected sight indeed.

Evidently MS-10 is not fresh on their minds.

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, DDE said:

Zak’s got two new paywalled articles. Energia-5 now has something approximating asparagus staging, with two of the six strap-ons forming a second stage, and a core with an RD-180 - a very unexpected sight indeed.

https://twitter.com/RussianSpaceWeb/status/1067060601669726208

Evidently MS-10 is not fresh on their minds.

Maybe this will get them enough science to finally unlock Size 3 tanks? I think they’ve been putting it all into “Habitability” instead. :confused:

1 hour ago, DDE said:

This actually inspired me to spend all evening yesterday calculating different theoretical SHLVs from similar off-the-shelf American commercial rockets. Like Falcon 9 boosters instead of Soyuz-5, DCSS or Centaur upper stage, etc. I might post the results (and resulting Excel calculator) in this section, if anyone's interested

12 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Looks like a cryogenic UR-530.

Khrunichev’s rocket LEGO that the Angara’s lead designer wrote a thesis on, yeah.

@CatastrophicFailure, 4.1 m width - which is exactly that of Soyuz-5, or Proton without the fuel tanks/engine nacelles - is the hard cap for rail transport to Baikonur. Anything more is either airlift or N-1-style on-site rocket factory. And airlift requires taking over Ukraine and then essentially rebuilding Antonov from the ground up - it’s spent four years without building a plane, got liquidated last year, and the bulk of engineers apparently went of for redder pastures of designing catapults for Chinese naval aviation.

On that note, the cap is 3.8 m for Vostochnyi. How they plan to get Soyuz-5 cores there is beyond me.

Edited by DDE

10 hours ago, sh1pman said:

This actually inspired me to spend all evening yesterday calculating different theoretical SHLVs from similar off-the-shelf American commercial rockets. Like Falcon 9 boosters instead of Soyuz-5, DCSS or Centaur upper stage, etc. I might post the results (and resulting Excel calculator) in this section, if anyone's interested

That could only be interesting. I wanna see the Falcon 9:cool:

Another bunch of procurement docs reveal further “critical” problems with the ferroconcrete work on the Vostochnyi launch table. Bunch of leaks, improper welding, expansion joints not built to design - and test documents signed off before the tests. TsENKI claims to have fixed everything, so the procurements must be for long-term remedies and a new set of documentation

https://ria.ru/space/20181127/1533604400.html

Given the earlier discoveries regarding the whole project, “they pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work” comes to mind.

Edited by DDE

3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

That could only be interesting. I wanna see the Falcon 9:cool:

Yeah, I’ll make a post about it.

Sneak peek: you can get SLS Block 1 performance while only expending one full Falcon 9 stick (S1+S2).

Sneak peak #2: existing cryogenic upper stages are way too small and weak for SHLVs. They’re only better than kerolox for super light payloads (less than 6t) on high energy trajectories.

On 11/27/2018 at 6:43 PM, DDE said:

core with an RD-180 - a very unexpected sight indeed

This is smart.

The core chews propellant at half the rate of the boosters.

It will have 50% of its load left by sep, more if they throttle back.

The boosters do the hard work.

The core's job is to save as much fuel as it can for sep.

I figure this thing has a mass of 3500 tonne and could lift 115 tonne to leo with just the first 3 stages.

And 36 tonne TLI.

Should be able to put federation + prop unit (20t) into LLO with stage 4(11t).

The boosters hold maybe 440 tonnes of kerolox (45t dry) and measure 40m x 4m.

Booster sep is staggered i think? 4 then 2.

Same for the core (stage2). Core might have 280t of prop at sep. (68tdry..has to be strengthened for boosters)

The hydrolox stage3 could be 75 tonnes(10 dry), 22x4m, but has tiny RD-0146 engines which max out at 7 tonne thrust each. Isp 470s ? cool.

They only have to circ for leo, and punch TLI or TMI, so i guess twr 0.15 is ok. Longest TLI burn ever.

Stage 4 is about 10 tonne of kerolox with a rd -058mv. 4m x ~3m?

With fed spacecraft on top at 20t this combo might have ~1200 m/s.

Feels like TLI course adjusts / Luna insertion with Stage 4.

Punch home with storables in the fed propulsion module (1000m/s).

The lunar roadmap is announced, till 2040.

Phase 1. (from soon till soon-2018+2025).
A core module of the lunar orbital station is put in orbit.
Researching Moon with uncrewed crafts.

Phase 2. (next 10 years, till 2035, if soon is soon)
Humans land there and start building a base.

Phase 3 (till 2040).
The full-fledged base is ready. 
A unified system of crewed crafts for the Moon development is ready.
The Moon will be developed by heavy rovers. 
The observatories will be built there.

In perspective: (industrial) infrastructure, resource mining, ice mining to produce the hydrolox fuel, building of radiation shelters out of regolith bricks sintered with lasers.

https://translate.google.com.tr/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.rbc.ru/society/28/11/2018/5bfedad39a7947dd66c237e0?from=main&edit-text=

Edited by kerbiloid

1 hour ago, DDE said:

@kerbiloid, I shall ask the dirty question.

fmt_89_24_5c7547c977d9042feb80a1df81dfa5

VEB refused to cough up the cash for Sfera.

Don't worry. Mr. "Twitter" Rogozin will use his old contacts, and the money will appear. Along with raised taxes and retirement age, frozen pension and underfunded hospitals, because who cares about such things when we need to go to the Moon!

8 hours ago, DDE said:

@kerbiloid, I shall ask the dirty question.

I just quoted this because of the bricks sintered with lasers. We should have this in KSP.

Also, 
soon = soon(money);

P.S.
The Rokot upper stage with 3 milsats has separated and is on its way to proper orbit.
Upd.
They are in orbit.

Edited by kerbiloid

7 hours ago, tater said:

Have there been any other Rodnik/Gonets launches since inspector sat tests, I immediately wondered. Per Wiki, yes, including between the second and third experimentals, so we should not necessarily expect any added orbital shenanigans for Christmases.

49 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

the last time they flew a similar manifest of three Rodniks

Wrong. As my own earlier, vague post implied, I’d checked Rockot launch history and the July 2014 and September 2015 launches, complete with an identical or effectively identical civilian Gonets satellites, did not feature any surprise hitchhikers.

So it’s not every time the old Naryad launcher flies that it has a space warfare mission.

Furthermore, none of the usual suspects seem to have come up with Kosmos numbers yet. MoD has instead posted videos of another A-235 test to dominate the headlines throughout the weekend. Is there any direct way to sheck with the UN?

Edited by DDE