Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

On 1/3/2018 at 10:14 AM, tater said:

The Salyut-7 movie is on Amazon Prime, BTW.

Wait, what?  What's that?  (I recently finished the English translation of Lebedev's 'Diary of a Cosmonaut,' so I've been on a 'Salyut' kick.)  (Interestingly, the copy I found appears to be autographed by Lebedev himself, though I'll need to find someone to confirm that-- I can just barely make out Serbian cyrillic cursive-- Russian cursive handwriting is beyond my abilities!)    

18 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Wait, what?  What's that?  (I recently finished the English translation of Lebedev's 'Diary of a Cosmonaut,' so I've been on a 'Salyut' kick.)  (Interestingly, the copy I found appears to be autographed by Lebedev himself, though I'll need to find someone to confirm that-- I can just barely make out Serbian cyrillic cursive-- Russian cursive handwriting is beyond my abilities!)    

Severely fictionalized account of Soyuz-T-13.

Also, you could try and compare.

Spoiler

lebedev_valentin_vitalevich_letchiki_kosotkrytka_kosmos_kosmonavt_lebedev_v_v_av

Edited by DDE

DDE:     Severely fictionalized account of Soyuz-T-13.

Ah, the repair mission.  I can see how that might make a film... though the 'severely fictionalized' part concerns me.

The autograph does seem to match.  I'll see if I can scan it and show it...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

6 minutes ago, DDE said:

Khrunichev wants to pitch this thing again. For the third time.

As a launch vehicle requires 4 of them at once, it will be not that easy to implement it in KSP.

On another hand, BDArmory mod family allows to pilot a (s)quad of them at once.

Edited by kerbiloid

55 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

As a launch vehicle requires 4 of them at once, it will be not that easy to implement it in KSP.

On another hand, BDArmory mod family allows to pilot a (s)quad of them at once.

Ahem... they want it as part of a single-stack Angara.

original.jpg

Edited by DDE

47 minutes ago, DDE said:

they want it as part of a single-stack Angara.

And

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/46079/

Spoiler

f_c2RlbGFub3VuYXMucnUvdXBsb2Fkcy80LzcvND

https://2ch.hk/spc/arch/2016-07-06/res/251286.html

Spoiler

14531990955230.jpg14531990955251.jpg

Reminds me about some variant of Energy.

Spoiler

Energia_II_Uragan.jpg

Also here
http://epizodsspace.airbase.ru/bibl/tm/2001/10/baykal.html

Spoiler

35-1.jpg34-2.jpg

Edited by kerbiloid

58 minutes ago, insert_name said:

how would you get that out while traveling at hypersonic speeds, and possibly getting welded in place by the engine

Probably I can't understand the question. What's a problem to decouple a nosecone?

The side blocks decouple at several tens kilometers height, reentry, slow down to subsonic speed, open the wings and fins, extend or unshroud the air intake.
(I have read that the intake would extend from the top, but maybe they now prefer to place it in the nose.)
Then the block flies to an airdrome propelled with a turbojet.

Edited by kerbiloid

11 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Probably I can't understand the question. What's a problem to decouple a nosecone?

The side blocks decouple at several tens kilometers height, reentry, slow down to subsonic speed, open the wings and fins, extend or unshroud the air intake.
(I have read that the intake would extend from the top, but maybe they now prefer to place it in the nose.)
Then the block flies to an airdrome propelled with a turbojet.

I was referring to your proposal to use a cork (or more likely just a plug of some sort) to prevent exhaust from entering the air intake during the hot staging event. It seems like it would be difficult to detach without getting debris from pyrotechnic separators in the intake, not to mention the issues with heating from hot staging

2 hours ago, insert_name said:

the hot staging event

Just because there’s a Soyuz-style lattice doesn’t mean it’s a hot staging. Angara to the best of my ability to Google uses cold staging, no ullage rockets, and two first stage retromotors.

11 hours ago, DDE said:

Just because there’s a Soyuz-style lattice doesn’t mean it’s a hot staging. Angara to the best of my ability to Google uses cold staging, no ullage rockets, and two first stage retromotors.

Please forgive my ignorance-- I had always assumed the lattices were there because of hot staging.  Is there another benefit to them?  

15 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

the lattices were there because of hot staging.  Is there another benefit to them?  

1. Artist's imagination. That's how maestro sees the world.

2. As we can see, these payload, fairing and booster have nothing common in size.
Maybe using a lightweight lattice interstage is a lesser evil in this case than making a massive cone.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a rocket.

https://translate.google.ru/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&u=www.interfax.ru/russia/596681&edit-text=

the liquid-propellant rocket engine of external expansion with a modular combustion chamber with a shortened central body

I.e aerospike

Edited by kerbiloid

On 1/12/2018 at 2:33 AM, MaxwellsDemon said:

Please forgive my ignorance-- I had always assumed the lattices were there because of hot staging.  Is there another benefit to them?  

The Russians hot-stage (next stage ignition and staging at the same time). The lattice is for the exhaust gasses to escape.