Stuck On Advanced Construction Tutorial (Next button greyed out)

I have searched for fixes on this issue and did find an old thread with the exact same problem I'm having, however after applying all of the fixes that other people used I am still stuck. The scientist has asked me to add things to the Abort Function and I have put the 2 liquid engines, the radial de-coupler and the stacking de-coupler in the abort function and nothing else. As far as I can tell this is exactly what I was asked to do and this is what other people have done and it has worked for them. Please Help!

P.S. I have double checked that I am using the correct de-couplers and the correct engines and I am not trying the shutdown the 'Hammer' engines.

Sorry *grayed not greyed

Welcome to the forums. We can discuss this with a lot of text, but that's not the best way.

You can take a screenshot of your action group, go to www.imgur.com and drag-and-drop the screenshot there, and it will give you a URL to post.

I am confident that we can diagnose your problem from that screenshot.

I'm sure a screenshot would help, I suspect that there are bugs in this training session (I suspect that coding certain checks has a lot of problems).  I've been unable to complete the session, but may have not followed the exact proper sequence in putting on solar arrays and batteries.

- note the "expected" rocket can be seen in the "to orbit" training session.  That might give you a better idea of what they want.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2017 at 2:11 AM, Gargamel said:

There's tutorials??  :wink:

While fixing the bug is an issue that needs addressed, if you have the basics down, go blow something up.  Doing is the best way to learn. 

Well said, the stock career game is one of the best tutorials I've ever known. 

(if in doubt,  Moar! Boosters!

Edited by Palaceviking
Spelt Moar lowercase

• 2 years later...

For anyone still having problems with this tutorial, I found watching this video helped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnab5bhr86s

I had the same issue, as questioner.  Turned out I had added a shutdown for the booster rockets (the two on  the side), but they shouldn't be included for the tutorial, just the engine between the upper and lower stages and the bottom engine.

In total you should have 4 items listed:

The decoupler below the pod (set to Decouple).

The Upper stage engine (set to Shutdown Engine).

The very bottom engine (set to Shutdown Engine).

The two radial decouplers holding the boosters  (set to Decouple).

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

okay, I've tried several times to get thru the advanced construction tutorial.  Each time I get to the abort action group and it won't ungrey.  I've looked at the youtube link above, though it is from an earlier version of KSP.  They did exactly what I did (sigh, including the errors).  However, his button lit up and my still stay grey.  I have set up the decoupler under the pod and the two radials.  Further, as the tutorial instructs, I've shut down both liquid engines (to no avail).  I have even tried shutting down the two boosters.  Nothing is working.  I have even restarted the tutorial several times and waited a few days in between restarts.  HELP!!!!!

Okay, I fortunately downloaded the game from Steam.  After almost a week of frustration I decided to validate my files and discovered that indeed some files needed fixing.  Now the next button works.  Hope this helps someone to resolve this issue as well.

Edited by Plexis
Discovered the problem

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2019 at 6:36 AM, Plexis said:

Okay, I fortunately downloaded the game from Steam.  After almost a week of frustration I decided to validate my files and discovered that indeed some files needed fixing.  Now the next button works.  Hope this helps someone to resolve this issue as well.

It does help, I stumbled on the usual pitfalls like everyone else, like wrongly adding the SRBs shutdown, but fixing it wasn't enough.

I would never have thought about fixing the files, so many thanks for that, you probably saved me a lot of time too ! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.