The Kurburgring Lap

He_162

The Kurburgring Lap
The objective is to build a car made mostly of wings, ailerons, struts, I-beams, and use Juno engines to propel it to a high speed.
Other means of improving maneuverability and speed can be used, but not at the expense of aesthetics.

t9SB1t3.jpg%20
Rules:
-No F12 menu.
-Only stock game parts.
-Only the TR-2L, or RoveMax M1 can be used as a wheel (6 per craft, 4 if using the TR-2L).
-The track must be followed, no short cuts.
-A screenshot on every corner if possible, or every other corner.
-Craft will be based purely on score for the points, but must be aesthetically pleasing
(the craft may be mostly made of wings (51+%) but it has to look like a real life sports car / supercar, or have similar aesthetic or it doesn't qualify)
-The car must be mostly made out of wings, structural parts, or ailerons, struts, etc.

-Only the Juno engines may be used, and up to 12 may be used in the design.
*All of them must be used for forward only propulsion.
-Only a single 1.25m SAS wheel may be used.

Rules for "anything goes":
-The rule above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any wheel type can be used (up to 8 wheels)
-Up to 18 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary (but there must be a seat, and room for one)
-Aesthetics is less of an necessity, crazier designs will be forced into this section, so make them good.
(Crazy designs will be seen, and we will have examples at some point.)
Any SAS unit may be used, but only one.

Rules for "Anything and Everything":
-The rules above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any amount of wheels
-Up to 20 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary
-Aesthetics is NOT an necessity, the craziest designs shall be forced unto this section, so make them the best.
Up to three SAS units may be used per craft.

The track:
yf2oUpS.jpg

Examples of "wing car aesthetic"
VyIjeQV.jpg
06On9Ff.png

The Kurburgring Laptimes:
(in order from fastest (top) to slowest (bottom) submitted)
Name - Car name - Lap time
C7-Rejects               - G-11 Tricae       - 0:47
Colonel Cbplayer    - Toyota AE86     - 0:49
EpicSpaceTroll139 - Selenium I II R  - 0:56
LABenterprises
       - G-Force 2.0LM - 0:56
LABenterprises       - B19                    - 1:10

"ANYTHING GOES" RACERS:
-no submissions yet-

"ANYTHING / EVERYTHING" RACERS:
-no submissions yet

Edited by He_162

26 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

I think that 12 engines is a bit rediculous, instead it should be like 6 juno or equivalent stationary thrust (120 kN)

Trust me you'll need at least 8 junos if you want to be able to break 89.4 mps/200 mph with a car made of wings. The amount of downforce the cars will have to create will slow them down a lot!

Edited by LABenterprises

28 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

I think that 12 engines is a bit rediculous, instead it should be like 6 juno or equivalent stationary thrust (120 kN)

BTW I'm C7-Rejects on KerbalX

Even with 10 my "Predator II" that I just released is having troubles exceeding 70 m/s

However, when we see some entries exploiting this too much, we may make a separate category for craft using say, more than 6 Juno engines.

Lmao, I put the correct track up just now, I had the earlier test track up at first. :D

1 minute ago, prgmTrouble said:

What we could do is organize a class system based on engine type. Engine type would separate cars with different engines into different leader boards. Even better, it may be organized by stationary thrust.

I would advocate organization by stationary thrust. For example, I have 8 junos or something in one of my cars, producing ~160 kn of stationary thrust. However, someone else might have 2 wheesleys at 50% each, making 120kn of stationary thrust. I clearly have the power advantage, even thought the wheesley is technically more powerful.

9 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

What we could do is organize a class system based on engine type. Engine type would separate cars with different engines into different leader boards. Even better, it may be organized by stationary thrust.

I think it that organization by stationary thrust would be best solution. It doesn't really matter what type of engine a car uses, but its the amount of thrust that's important, Its like if you have a car with a v8 and a car with a v12. 

10 hours ago, qzgy said:

I would advocate organization by stationary thrust. For example, I have 8 junos or something in one of my cars, producing ~160 kn of stationary thrust. However, someone else might have 2 wheesleys at 50% each, making 120kn of stationary thrust. I clearly have the power advantage, even thought the wheesley is technically more powerful.

I like that idea, but one thing to note is that more power doesn't always give a car the advantage for instance my BOLT uses 10 junos and my B19 uses only 8, however the B19 is 5 seconds faster around my test track. The key to success is aerodynamics that allow a car to remain stable at high speeds without understeer.

Edited by LABenterprises

On 9/11/2017 at 8:16 PM, qzgy said:

I would put this forward (https://kerbalx.com/qzgy/Kamborghini-Tifone) but it uses the M1 wheels. Many are clipped, so it probably acts the same as a TR-2L. Maybe.

I have added a new race type.

23 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

I'll add a race that is called "Thrust Class Races" and it will be fore craft that use more than 180kN of thrust, and a subrace of that for craft that use more than 260.

10 hours ago, SpaceTrashCan said:

Could we make some sort of second challenge with RoveMax Model M1 wheels maybe? Different "Car Class" with maybe less engines allowed?

Because i just built this Hyper-Car and it has the wrong wheels on :0

There is now a new race class, let's hear your Kurburgring lap time! Remember, a screenshot on every other corner, or all if possible.

2 hours ago, LABenterprises said:

I Created a potential logo for our challenge, let me know what you think.

It's wonderful thank you.

Just some ridiculously simple and underwhelming test vehicle for the Kurburgring Challenge.

Time: 49.816
(Lag removed via ffmpeg for more accurate timing)

Eligibility Checklist:

- Stock & No F12 Menu
- Standard Wheels
- Track followed
- Video taken
- 21 (55.26%) of all parts are wings
- Engines: Juno x5

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/crafts/34277

P.S. Is there a way to embed a video on this site that I'm not aware of?

Edited by prgmTrouble
Thanks DoctorDavinci

Would this car qualify for the challenge?

2017-09-14%2020-06-16.png

I had this thing sitting around in a half-built state and figured I'd spruce it up (even now it's still got some things to add like mirrors, tailpipes, etc) and enter it. I know it has a lot of solar panels there but I think they give it some character. It's not just black and silver. :P

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

39 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

It does (as far as I can tell). Though if the car is all-electric we might design a leaderboard for such cars.

As far as the design is concerned, it looks bloody* awesome! 

*in a Californian accent

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

2017-09-14%2020-06-16.png

I had this thing sitting around in a half-built state and figured I'd spruce it up (even now it's still got some things to add like mirrors, tailpipes, etc) and enter it. I know it has a lot of solar panels there but I think they give it some character. It's not just black and silver. :P

I think it looks good, put it on KerbalX so I can download it and make sure it's got a large enough amount of downforce and wings to qualify as a "wing car".

6 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Just some ridiculously simple and underwhelming test vehicle for the Kurburgring Challenge.

Time: 49.816
(Lag removed via ffmpeg for more accurate timing)

Eligibility Checklist:

- Stock & No F12 Menu
- Standard Wheels
- Track followed
- Video taken
- 21 (55.26%) of all parts are wings
- Engines: Juno x5

Craft: https://kerbalx.com/crafts/34277

P.S. Is there a way to embed a video on this site that I'm not aware of?

The amount of wings is rather small, and aesthetic is a huge deal in this contest, it has to look like a modern day supercar, and it looks more or less like an R/C car, I'm not trying to sound rude and say your craft is ugly, but it just doesn't fit the aesthetic portion of the challenge, which requires a supercar like resemblance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.