The Kurburgring Lap

He_162

Well ... I still have to make a video but this unpolished version is able to do the track in 1 minute, 10 seconds faster than the L.A.B. B19. Drag is not really a problem, it has a top speed of around 135m/s with 8 Juno's, 118m/s with 6.

I need a lot of practice on the track though, was the second try.

1 hour ago, prgmTrouble said:

Lap time coming at some point...

I conducted a test to get a baseline for measuring improvement as I usually do, but accidentally started recording:

Turns out that the time was 4.571 seconds faster with an embarrassing sequence of driving errors than my previous vehicle driven at the top of my game. I was not expecting this result at all, so I'm going to be looking for the reason for this fascinating anomaly.

If you want the craft file early, I will upload to KerbalX, but I'm too lazy to do that before the final version without a specific request from anyone else.

Edited by prgmTrouble

19 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

My first attempt with the CANUKWurks F1 took 1:37 but I can probably do much better with a bit of practice

@EpicSpaceTroll139 - I stole your idea for the rear view mirrors :blush:

Here's the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/DoctorDavinci/CANUKWurks-F-1

That looks more like a drag car than a sporty supercar, as you said, it's an F-1 racer, and those are not the style of car we were looking for with the aesthetic mentioned. I also will disqualify any car with custom textures, other than the completely stock game textures. The exception being a Kurburgring lap flag.

12 hours ago, prgmTrouble said:

Sneak peek at my new test vehicle:

H6srPoI.png

A little better aesthetically, has 9 juno engines, weighs 8.6 tons, has insane handling. It is still going to be a test vehicle, as the car is still not good enough for my standards. I may make a fully developed version in the future, but I'm still focused on finding a balance between aerodynamic part drag from the modelling and the eyesore of raw utilitarian engineering that I'm used to. Lap time coming at some point...

I'm gonna be a stickler for the sports car aesthetic, so if this is the "final" design idea, you might want to change it up, it looks nothing like a sports car.

12 hours ago, Azimech said:

WIP. Modern enough for you guys?

DpYnD9r.png

https://imgur.com/a/iYb8g

That would definitely work, nice looking car!

6 hours ago, Azimech said:

I think I'll go for TPC: Turbocharged Pedestrian Crossing.

Almost final. I need to learn to drive it. It's incredibly agile, aggressive and fast.

Even better! I love it.

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

That looks more like a drag car than a sporty supercar, as you said, it's an F-1 racer, and those are not the style of car we were looking for with the aesthetic mentioned.

Interesting as I was under the impression that there was an anything goes category

My mistake, sorry to have intruded upon your fun ... I guess I'm just not welcome 'round these parts'

Good luck with the races 

5 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Interesting as I was under the impression that there was an anything goes category

My mistake, sorry to have intruded upon your fun ... I guess I'm just not welcome 'round these parts'

Good luck with the races 

I didn't intend on disqualifying you, the texture mod would disqualify you, but I never said you wouldn't be able to use it in the anything goes category.
But again, you removed the part of my sentence that said it was the mods that got you disqualified, so if you want to get a time up there, you need to do so without mods, and under the anything goes category.

(although)
I apologize to anyone who may work hard on a craft only to get a critical review from me, but I'm going to be the harshest possible critic of any car that is submitted here, and thus, I haven't even submitted my own in the timing, for that reason.

If I don't think somethings absolutely perfect, I'll sound very negative of it, even with Azimechs car that I gave big praise to above, I would have criticized it, but he knows more than even I do about making cars in this game, and thus, I knew he'd find a way to make it even better, and he did.

Edited by He_162

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

I didn't intend on disqualifying you, the texture mod would disqualify you, but I never said you wouldn't be able to use it in the anything goes category.

But again, you removed the part of my sentence that said it was the mods that got you disqualified, so if you want to get a time up there, you need to do so without mods, and under the anything goes category.

At this point I suggest a modded/unrestricted category for literally every car. Every time goes on that list, but those deemed qualified for the other two categories will have their times also placed on those lists also.

5 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

At this point I suggest a modded/unrestricted category for literally every car. Every time goes on that list, but those deemed qualified for the other two categories will have their times also placed on those lists also.

I was thinking about that,  I didn't think it was an issue until people took offense to my judgement.

Here are the new rules, and race types:

Regular Rules:
-No F12 menu.
-Only stock game parts.
-Only the TR-2L can be used as a wheel (4 per craft).
-The track must be followed, no short cuts.
-A screenshot on every corner if possible, or every other corner.
-Craft will be based purely on score for the points, but must be aesthetically pleasing
(the craft may be mostly made of wings (51+%) but it has to look like a real life sports car / supercar, or have similar aesthetic or it doesn't qualify)
-The car must be mostly made out of wings, structural parts, or ailerons, struts, etc.
-Only the Juno engines may be used, and up to 12 may be used in the design.
*All of them must be used for forward only propulsion.

Rules for "anything goes":
-The rule above apply, but the following is changed.
-Any wheel type can be used
-Up to 18 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary (but there must be a seat, and room for one)
-Aesthetics is less of an necessity, crazier designs will be forced into this section, so make them good.
(Crazy designs will be seen, and we will have examples at some point.)

Rules for "Anything and Everything":
-The rules above apply, but the following is changed.
-Mods and other parts can be used
-Any wheel type can be used
-Up to 20 juno's may be used to push the craft FORWARD.
-No kerbal is necessary
-Aesthetics is NOT an necessity, the craziest designs shall be forced unto this section, so make them the best.

Now all submitted craft can be included into at least 1, or two categories, the full stock category being the main focus of this challenge, but for those who wish to use mods, and other things, the new ones have been added.

Edited by He_162

2 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Actually you said ....

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

That looks more like a drag car than a sporty supercar, as you said, it's an F-1 racer, and those are not the style of car we were looking for with the aesthetic mentioned. I also will disqualify any car with custom textures, other than the completely stock game textures. The exception being a Kurburgring lap flag

.... which implies that you disqualified my car because it isn't the 'esthetic' you are looking for with the addition that you will 'also' disqualify any cars that arent using the stock textures

It's the 'also' that gives it away

No worries, I know when I'm not welcome ... Have a nice day :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

I was thinking about that,  I didn't think it was an issue until people took offense to my judgement.

My opinion is that the "aesthetic" qualification is a bit ambiguous to start with. Offense is taken when someone's car is subject to the scrutiny of a small group of "judges," especially when it takes a while to create it. It often does take lots of time to make a car look smooth with the rough-cut stock parts (which is why I procrastinate with aesthetics and release a "test vehicle" instead). 

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

Actually you said ....

.... which implies that you disqualified my car because it isn't the 'esthetic' you are looking for with the addition that you will 'also' disqualify any cars that arent using the stock textures

I'm not going to have you here if you can't take criticism, but I'm sad to see that you're going to take it that way.

You guys should go back and read the new rules, hopefully we don't have more people coming in and taking the judgement so harsh.

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Can I somehow convince you to stay? First of all, it's fun. And the more souls, the greater the fun factor. Also, building cars is easy, tuning them is hard. We might learn from each other. I've seen you on the forum and what you can do, it would be a pleasure to have you in on this.

11 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:
21 minutes ago, He_162 said:

Actually you said ....

1 hour ago, He_162 said:

That looks more like a drag car than a sporty supercar, as you said, it's an F-1 racer, and those are not the style of car we were looking for with the aesthetic mentioned. I also will disqualify any car with custom textures, other than the completely stock game textures. The exception being a Kurburgring lap flag

10 minutes ago, He_162 said:

I'm not going to have you here if you can't take criticism, but I'm sad to see that you're going to take it that way.

Let's be civil...

@He_162: Try to be careful with the way you word your critiques, as they do not sound as constructive as they need to be. Instead of bluntly qualifying/disqualifying, tell the person in question some suggestions to improve the car to the expected quality.

@DoctorDavinci: He_162 did not mean any offense. I cannot make you stay with our thread, however if you do I can assure you that we can all help to get your car on that leaderboard. In the words of @Azimech

Can I somehow convince you to stay? First of all, it's fun. And the more souls, the greater the fun factor. Also, building cars is easy, tuning them is hard. We might learn from each other. I've seen you on the forum and what you can do, it would be a pleasure to have you in on this.

Edited by prgmTrouble

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I don't know if multiple entries are a possibility but I could tune my Lambo Mashup to be lighter and faster, for the "anything goes" category.

w6I8sfx.png

https://kerbalx.com/Azimech/77I--Lambo-Mashup-v10

I just realized you used fuel cells in that design, neat!
I'll put the lap time in when you get around to fixin it up for a race :)

26 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

It often does take lots of time to make a car look smooth with the rough-cut stock parts (which is why I procrastinate with aesthetics and release a "test vehicle" instead). 

Personally, that wouldn't be my approach. Every added part changes the behaviour in sometimes subtle, sometimes radical ways. Looking at the elevons, the lightest is 40kg and you always need two, that's more than the mass of a single kerbal.

I never make test vehicles. Really, choose a design you love, go fully into it. When you have the basic shape, start tinkering with the rest. This will confine yourself into analytical troubleshooting instead of ad hoc radical changes. Car tuning is evolution, if you go from a test vehicle into a new design it's a revolution that will often cause frustration.

Just now, Azimech said:

Personally, that wouldn't be my approach. Every added part changes the behaviour in sometimes subtle, sometimes radical ways. Looking at the elevons, the lightest is 40kg and you always need two, that's more than the mass of a single kerbal.

I never make test vehicles. Really, choose a design you love, go fully into it. When you have the basic shape, start tinkering with the rest. This will confine yourself into analytical troubleshooting instead of ad hoc radical changes. Car tuning is evolution, if you go from a test vehicle into a new design it's a revolution that will often cause frustration.

That's what I've always done, but everyone has their own preference, and if thats the way they are used to doing things, then that's the way they will get the best results is what I've found.

2 minutes ago, He_162 said:

That's what I've always done, but everyone has their own preference, and if thats the way they are used to doing things, then that's the way they will get the best results is what I've found.

Maybe I should change my tone ... can it be that I give the wrong impression? I agree though, he didn't ask for my advice.

That's enough coffee for me tonight.

1 minute ago, Azimech said:

Maybe I should change my tone ... can it be that I give the wrong impression? I agree though, he didn't ask for my advice.

That's enough coffee for me tonight.

Haha, yeah, I think people are perceiving tones too harshly right now, I'm gonna be working on a new "Helium 2" racer tonight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.